PDA

View Full Version : Bonding melamine

James A. Wolfe
02-09-2006, 3:05 PM
I'm in the process of building a routing bench and I need a top that is fairly rigid, stable and not too thick. There will be a fair amount of overhang for clamping as well. I'm thinking of two layers of 3/4" melamine. I'm not sure if Gorilla Glue will bond this lamination. Anyone ever laminated melamine before?
Jim

Jim Becker
02-09-2006, 3:08 PM
You want Roo Glue, specifically made for this job.

Scott Loven
02-09-2006, 3:20 PM
What he said.
You could also glue two MDF sheets together and use contact adheasive to glue laminate countertop material to the top and bottom. Would be much stronger and more durable then the melamine paper over saw dust that the borg sells.

Curt Harms
02-10-2006, 12:55 AM
You want Roo Glue, specifically made for this job.

This job and others. I bought the smallest quantity I could at Woodcraft. $5.50 or $5.95 for about a pint. Will stick most anything to most anything: Applications

Melamine

Vinyl

High pressure laminates (Formica®, Wilsonart®)

PVC edgebanding

Metal

Stone

Tile

Acrylics

Wood veneer

Paper and Fabric

Crafts

Roo Glue might partially replace polyurethane for gluing dissimilar materials. There's no foaming and it sets in about the same amount of time as polyurethane glue. I haven't used it much, just edge glued some walnut boards for a panel, I wanted its slow set(20 minutes open time) and water resistance(impervious when set). Stuff seemed to work fine. The biggest problem was finding it. The only source I know of is Woodcraft and the smallest quantity available is pretty large. OTOH, if the stuff goes bad, it's pretty cheap. All in all, another useful tool for the arsenal. Their web site is www.rooglue.com but it's not terribly infomative.

Curt

Rob Blaustein
02-10-2006, 1:24 AM
I am a recent Roo convert, thanks to Jim Becker and Mark Singer. There may be a few different Roo glues--I think the one you want is Roo Clear. I also got it at my local Woodcraft.