PDA

View Full Version : Painting Galvanized gutters

Tom Sweeney
07-26-2003, 4:31 PM
OK all you painters out there.

My house has the old half round gutters that are galvanized metal. Many years ago someone painted them dark green. The paint has been severely peeling off since I bought the house. I have to repair one of the gutters & I figured while I have t down I'll strip what's left of the old paint.

I wouldn't mind repainting the gutters - is there a proper way to do this? Is there something that you can use to etch them then prime & paint?

Jason or anyone else????

Jason Roehl
07-26-2003, 9:16 PM

My house has the old half round gutters that are galvanized metal. Many years ago someone painted them dark green. The paint has been severely peeling off since I bought the house. I have to repair one of the gutters & I figured while I have t down I'll strip what's left of the old paint.

I wouldn't mind repainting the gutters - is there a proper way to do this? Is there something that you can use to etch them then prime & paint?

Jason or anyone else????

Gee...why did my name come up? I once used a product to prime new galvanized flashing; it was called Galvite from Sherwin-Williams. Stuck to about anything and cleaned up with xylene (a fairly hot solvent). That was several years ago, so I don't know if it is still available, and if I remember, it was kinda pricey, too. Anyway, your best bet is to go to a dedicated paint store and ask. Describe your whole situation and ask for a recommendation. My favs are ICI/Dulux/Glidden or Sherwin-Williams. In our experience, other brands have been less than stellar in the performance and customer service, but that could just be the local situation. Happy painting!

David Klug
07-26-2003, 10:18 PM
Hey Tom: Welcome to the club. I just put up new gutters a coulple months ago and I washed them down with vinegar and water, about half and half. They told me that this would work just fine. I sure hope so because I hate painting.

Dave

Jason Roehl
07-27-2003, 9:40 AM
Hey Tom: Welcome to the club. I just put up new gutters a coulple months ago and I washed them down with vinegar and water, about half and half. They told me that this would work just fine. I sure hope so because I hate painting.

Dave

It would be important to note that the vinegar wash is simply for new galvanized metal with machine oil on it--it removes the oil. Old, previously painted galvanized metal more than likely no longer has the machine oil on it, as it is a light oil that will eventually weather off anyway.

Brad Schafer
07-27-2003, 11:14 AM

Jason or anyone else????

An alternative - my dad used to be a muckity muck at a metal coating place. If you've goth the thing down, you might see if you could get a powder or ecoat done to it. You'd never have to paint again.

Might be cost-prohibitive, though.

Not-Jason :D

Phil Phelps
07-27-2003, 11:42 AM
I've use the primers Jason has mentioned and then some. My best results is to scrape away the chipped paint with a wire brush and really wash them clean. I talkin' by hand with a cloth. Use the "top" of the line of exterior latex of the major brands. (I stay away from the home centers) Apply two coats and you're good to go for many years. When I start from scratch, I have never had paint peel from the gutters I have done, They will fade and age, but not peel. It's really fun work too, Tom. :D

Jason Roehl
07-27-2003, 1:08 PM
Not-Jason :D

Hmmm...you must know something about me...you say that a little bit proudly. :D

Brad Schafer
07-27-2003, 10:26 PM
Hmmm...you must know something about me...you say that a little bit proudly. :D

no pride here - particularly when a painter's involved. you'd go ill seeing some of the stupid things i've done with paint (e.g., trying to thin epoxy paint with mineral spirits because i didn't have any acetone laying around - you'd think a chemist's kid would know better).

danged Hoosiers, :D

b

Tom Sweeney
07-27-2003, 10:46 PM
I painted the section I had to take down. I decided to sand it with my palm sander & it came up very nicely. I also figured that would give a little tooth for the paint to stick to. It looks great - but I just used some paint I had laying around. If I get to the rest of it I'll definately go to the Sherwin Williams store right up the street from me & get the good stuff.