PDA

View Full Version : Delta 22-580 planer dust collection ??

Allen Prell
02-09-2006, 11:16 AM
Are there any good alternatives to the 50-446 dust collection attachement to the Delta 22-580 planer? The attachment is $25 which seems very expensive for just a piece of plastic. The people on this forum are fairly ingenious and someone must have come up with a cheap alternative. Any suggestions?

tod evans
02-09-2006, 11:19 AM
allen, welcome! lotsa times you can squish a standard floor boot to fit. hvac fitting that goes from square to round, cheapies at the borgs, heavier ones at an hvac supply house.....02 tod

Maurice Ungaro
02-09-2006, 12:52 PM
Allen,
Tod is right, and I believe he's given that advice out more than once today. Having said that, I purchased the 50-446 dust collection attachement for my machine from Amazon, in so I could get my order up and over the ammount necessary for a discount. No shipping charge, and if I want to get all accountant-like about it, I could say that the 50-446 dust collection attachement really cost me around $19. Not bad for a bolt on part.:cool:

Does it work? You betcha. Like a champ. I hook it up to my measly 1.5 hp Shop Fox DC and narry a chip escapes suction. Things stay so clean, I was finding excuses to use the planer.

Will it hold up? Time will tell, but as with most things, the more you pay attention and care for it, the longer it will last. For instance, even though some may consider it a royal PITA, I disconnected mine from the planer when I was done using it and stowing said planer away. If you've got a dedicated planer station, it shouldn't be an issue. Although, I wouldn't leave it attached and then pitch all 90 lbs of it into the back of the truck.:D

My humble advice.

Tom Conger
02-09-2006, 1:35 PM
I bought the dust collection hood for about $25 from Amazon. It works great.

The rest of my dust collection cost about $1.19.

Very complicated design.

I took an old 6" irrigation hose and duck taped it to the dust collector, about 18' or so.
On the end of the irrigation hose, I duck taped the Amazon box that I received the dust collector in, to act as a back stop.
I then ran that so it hangs over a garbage can.
Over that I duck taped two 40 gallon plastic garbadge bags to act as a dust shroud.

It's ugly, a bit embarrassing from an "elagant solution" standpoint, but in my one car garage I am able to use it with the doors closed and am not sucking sawdust.

Dan Stuewe
02-09-2006, 3:56 PM
Just wanted to throw a couple coments out. On mine with the adapter installed you can not fold up the outfeed extension table. Also, since I move the 4" flex hose on my DC from machine to machine, I bought a quick connect (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B45PMI/qid=1139517651/sr=1-12/ref=sr_1_12/102-5221324-1644960?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=228013). This doesn't work, the quick connect isn't tight enough to keep the weight of the hose from pulling it off of the adapter. My solution was to drill matching holes in the quick connect and adapter to fit a pin I picked up at Home Depot (don't know the proper name, but it is a solid pin with a key ring on one end and a ball on the other to hold the pin in place). A very small hassle, but it would never keep you from using the DC.

Ken Shoemaker
02-09-2006, 8:45 PM
My .02 would be... re-read Maurice's post. It could have been me writing it.. I considered it a small price to pay to keep that mess off the floor. Works Great!!! Hooked to a Delta DC and it just SUCKS!!!!!:eek: :D

Allen Prell
02-10-2006, 8:17 AM
OK, I'm convinced that the dust collection attachment is worth it. In addition, I might as well use that along with some Bessey clamps to get the amazon discount and a free clamp. :)

Thanks to all for the advice.

Maurice Ungaro
02-10-2006, 9:28 AM
OK, I'm convinced that the dust collection attachment is worth it. In addition, I might as well use that along with some Bessey clamps to get the amazon discount and a free clamp. :)

Thanks to all for the advice.

Now you're thinking! Don't forget to tell your wife that you got FREE stuff when you made that order - they love "free" & "sale" anywhere in the offer.

Norm Belleville
02-10-2006, 9:58 AM
Dan, I had the same problem with the adapter and the quick connect slipping off from the weight of the hose. So I took some 100-grit sandpaper and ruffed up the outside of the adapter and the inside of the quick connect and it now holds fine. The quick connect also doesn’t slide of my other tools as easily anymore when I inadvertently kick the hose as I walk around the shop.

Fred Ray
02-10-2006, 11:22 AM
My solution to Dan and Norm's problem was one no. 10 x 1/2" self drilling sheet metal screw in the top of the quick connect.