PDA

View Full Version : Cutting a Steel Door

Vaughn McMillan
02-09-2006, 6:06 AM
I need to install a doggie door on a Borg-style steel residential entry door. I'm guessing it's got a foam core, but that's only a guess. I need to cut the opening for the doggie door, but am trying to decide which saw to use. If I had a Sawzall, I'd use that, but what I have available is a low-end circular saw (with abrasive cutoff blades), a RotoZip, and an old Skil sabre saw (jigsaw to some). As much as I'd usually use this occasion to buy a new tool, I'd like to avoid the expense this month and give it a go with the CS. The cut doesn't need to be pretty, since it'll be covered by the frame of the doggie door. Any thoughts or suggestions?

- Vaughn

Karl Laustrup
02-09-2006, 6:38 AM
First of all, do you have a dog? :D :D

Not really keen on the methods you have available. Recip saw would be my first choice. Don't you have a neighbor that has one that you could borrow? Or I bet you could rent one for a few bucks.

Second choice would be dynamite. ;) :eek: You know, like when they bring down a building. Let us know how that turns out. :eek:

Karl

Kirk (KC) Constable
02-09-2006, 6:40 AM
Same door...and yes, it has foam. I cut mine with a jigsaw, and 'cleaned it up' with a grinder. If you get the hole a bit small and have to force the frame to fit, the flap will give you problems. As you might imagine, I have the BIG one. Get one with a magnetic thingy at the bottom to keep the flap shut. Doing it again, I'd put it in the wall and not the door.

KC

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
02-09-2006, 6:41 AM
Foam core, well then use a Plasma Arc.......... ;) :D (Kidding!!!)

Do you have an angle grinder?

If you have a good blade, the jig saw can work well.

Cheers!

tod evans
02-09-2006, 6:51 AM
jig saw and safty glasses, having metal removed from your eyeball aint no fun! (voice of experience)......02 tod

Matt Meiser
02-09-2006, 7:29 AM
I think a jigsaw will do fine. The steel in those doors is pretty thin. Also, do yourself a favor and pull the hinge pins so you can take the door outside where you can work flat and easily clean up the mess.

Rob Russell
02-09-2006, 7:51 AM
If you're going to use a jigsaw/sabre saw, you might consider making a wood frame as a guide and clamp it to the door. That way your cut lines will be guaranteed straight.

Steve Ash
02-09-2006, 7:54 AM
I'd just like to add what should be common sense....make sure you wear safety glasses. I got a piece of steel in my eye once while doing this.....but then I have never been accused of having common sense.

Ooops, I missed tod giving the same advice above.:o

larry merlau
02-09-2006, 7:58 AM
I'd just like to add what should be common sense....make sure you wear safety glasses. I got a piece of steel in my eye once while doing this.....but then I have never been accused of having common sense.
i agree with you all on the safty glasses and the jig saw like todd mentioned.. as for you steve you better get your hat back on it helps alot in your appearnce:D

Bryan Cowing
02-09-2006, 8:06 AM
drill 4 holes for the jigsaw blade to fit in, in the corners of the marked location, add masking tape to the plate of the jigsaw to prevent scratches to the paint.:D

Bill Lewis
02-09-2006, 8:13 AM
Another vote for the jig saw. Drill through holes at the four corners and cut each side individually. Cut each rectangle just shy of the drilled holes until you have all of the sides cut. This will support the waste piece until you are ready to remove it. Clean up with a mill file.

I would not use a "sawzall", too much vibration to get a decent cut. Going with an abrasive cut off disk on a 4 or 4 1/2" grinder, or a small 3" cuttoff disk on an air grinder, would be my second choice, but they are dirty and noisey.

Karl Laustrup
02-09-2006, 8:20 AM
as for you steve you better get your hat back on it helps alot in your appearnce:D

:D :D :D :D :D

Karl

tod evans
02-09-2006, 8:26 AM
Another vote for the jig saw. Drill through holes at the four corners and cut each side individually. Cut each rectangle just shy of the drilled holes until you have all of the sides cut. This will support the waste piece until you are ready to remove it. Clean up with a mill file.

I would not use a "sawzall", too much vibration to get a decent cut. Going with an abrasive cut off disk on a 4 or 4 1/2" grinder, or a small 3" cuttoff disk on an air grinder, would be my second choice, but they are dirty and noisey.

a grinder will very likely get the foam core putting off some pretty nasty gasses.....02 tod

David Fried
02-09-2006, 8:56 AM
as for you steve you better get your hat back on it helps alot in your appearnce:D

That was a Hat??!!? I thought he was wearing Vaughn's hair :D

Dave Fried

Steve Ash
02-09-2006, 9:03 AM

Note to everyone who reads this thread...Larry has just volunteered to be "fashion police:... way to go on the promotion Larry!

larry merlau
02-09-2006, 10:39 AM
thanks for the encouragement steve, but i need to decline. i dont know the differnce between kalvins and haynes, i thought they were some form of measurment in physics,,,:confused:

Steve Ash
02-09-2006, 11:03 AM
Hey Larry.....as Toby Keith said...."how do you like me now?:D

Jim Becker
02-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Jigsaw...short metal-cutting blade (cut both sides independently)...and Tod's mention of eye protection is right on!

Vaughn McMillan
02-09-2006, 12:58 PM
Thanks all...jigsaw it'll be. Thanks also for the other tips. I was indeed planning to wear eye and ear protection, and to unpin the hinges so I could work on it flat. I installed one a few years ago for a friend, and I figured I'd save the trouble of removing the door. Never again.

This project actually involves two doggie doors, but the second one is going into a wood door, so I figure I've got that one dialed in. And KC, you're right about the magnetic catch. I had a good dog door in my last house, so I bought the same kind for this house.

Thanks again -

- Vaughn