PDA

View Full Version : Is this enough hp and cfm to be efficient?

Josh Goldsmith
02-09-2006, 1:17 AM
Hello everyone again! I have been asking you for lots of help regarding dust collection ways and so forth. Anyways i am getting ready to build a cyclone to bill's website. I found that clear vue cyclones sells Leeson 5hp motors and 15" material handling impellor. Would this make a nice and powerful sucktion? What kind of cfm do you estimate? Is there any other places out there to get motors and impellors? I would like the most hp and cfm possible for home usage and for the least amount of money. After hearing alot of people talking about how the suffer from different sickness due to dust and i want to try to eliminate my chance of getting sick way ahead of being sick. thanks josh

Allan Johanson
02-09-2006, 3:19 AM
Hi Josh,

I have the 5HP Leeson/14" Sheldon combo on a Pentz cyclone and the performance is amazing. With modified hoods, I plan on getting over 1000cfm at every tool. The 15" fan would flow even more air.

Bill comes here once in a while and of course he'd know much better, but a wild guess on my part says you can build a cyclone that will at least perform 10% better than the Oneida 3HP Super Dust Gorilla.

You've heard of many happy folks with the Oneida machines and you'll be joining them for a chunk less money.

If you need a hand during the construction process, myself and many others have built a Pentz cyclone and we can help you through it.

Cheers,

Allan

tod evans
02-09-2006, 7:00 AM
josh, i think it`s pretty safe to say that if you follow bills lead it`ll really suck......02 tod

Josh Goldsmith
02-09-2006, 10:58 AM
Hey Allen since you offered some help;) i do have a couple questions. I have read bill's website but i keep getting lost in all the info and can't find what i really need to know. The upper chamber which Bill calls it the outlet cylinder, is that 18" round by how tall? Also the cone is 18" that tapers down to what by how long? Isn't the inlet 4.5"x9" rectangle off the cyclone? I tried to find all the info on Bill's website but i am not sure what half the stuff means?:D Thanks

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/4715/cyclonefloating6dh.th.gif (http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cyclonefloating6dh.gif)

Allan Johanson
02-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Hi Josh,

Go to the "Cyclone Plans" section of his website and you'll see a spreadsheet you can download if you want to play with the values. You can see a sample of the spreadsheet on his site at the end of the "Cyclone Plans" section. In there it lists all the metal pieces you need to cut.

But to straighten out the naming convention, the upper cylinder that is 18" in diameter is called the "upper cylinder". The tube inside that cylinder that goes to the blower (the blower is sitting on top of the upper cylinder) is called the "Cyclone Outlet Tube" and it's typically 1/2 the diameter of the upper cylinder. Or 9" in this case.

Yes, the cyclone inlet is rectangular shaped and is 4.5"x9". You also need to make a transition from this 4.5"x9" to a round shape (6"/7"/8" - your choice). Many folks adapt an HVAC register boot that goes from 4x10 to 6" round. I made my own that goes to 8" round. I can show you how to do that down the road.

I cut my cone shape from a single piece of 48"x48" steel metal. I used 22ga so I could easily weld it and forming 22ga in a home shop is fairly easy.

According to Bills' spreadsheet, the upper cylinder is 18" in diameter by 21" tall. Add on 3/4" for the connection tabs.

The cone shape "height" when the unit is standing vertically is about 29.5" tall. It tapers from 18" to match the upper cylinder down to 6" to add on your flex hose. Add on 2" in height for the dust chute on the bottom. This give you a mounting place to attach your 6" flex hose to go to the dust bin.

Check out the "Cyclone Plans" section of his website and you'll see this info at the end of that page. I also have many pics during the construction process I can e-mail you if you wish.

Cheers,

Allan