PDA

View Full Version : My First Box

John Hart
02-08-2006, 10:37 PM
I know...I said I wasn't going to try a box til Mike Stafford's class next fall.....But...Since I have to make a cooperative box in about a month, I figured that I better get my practice in a bit.
I'm not thrilled with my craftsmanship on this. Kinda lost my focus. But overall, I tried to emulate what I've seen here and sorta kinda got through it. It's Cherry with some bark inclusions and some curl, and a cocobolo finial. My girls wanted to design the finial so I made it exactly how they drew it. The box belongs to them now.:)

Oh...It's finished with the secret finish and I buffed it after I took the pictures.:rolleyes: :o :)

Keith Christopher
02-08-2006, 10:40 PM
John,

Very cool. I think I'll have to put the pens on hold a little bit and turn some bowls vessels and maybe a box or two.

Keith

Mike Ramsey
02-08-2006, 10:43 PM
Not bad, not bad at all! Good job on the first one John!

Keith Burns
02-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Great first box John. And who better to gain ownership:) :) :)

Jim Ketron
02-08-2006, 10:51 PM
Looks Good John, Great first Box!

Corey Hallagan
02-08-2006, 11:18 PM
I like it John, very pretty wood and the finial looks great!

Corey

Mark Cothren
02-08-2006, 11:23 PM
Nice box John! And the girls help with the design makes it even better!

Thanks for the pictures!

Bill Stevener
02-08-2006, 11:26 PM
That's quite a nice looking box for your first one. Sure wish the cherry around hear had some curl to it.
One thing, at least you have only one top. Try a two topper, when it's one way it's one of the girls and when it's the other way it's the other girls.:confused:

Hay, are you working on an (IT)?

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Barry Stratton
02-08-2006, 11:32 PM
Only in a turners forum can a guy say "nice box" and not get slapped...........so, Nice Box John!!!!!

Andy Hoyt
02-09-2006, 12:33 AM
Great first box, John.

I keep trying and trying and always wreck the join. I be envious.

Bernie Weishapl
02-09-2006, 12:35 AM
That is a mighty fine box John. You should be proud of that first box. Hope mine looks that good.

Dick Parr
02-09-2006, 1:21 AM
Very nice John:)

John Hart
02-09-2006, 6:43 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind words. My biggest problem was that the wood moved overnight after I had the two pieces joined nicely. Didn't move much, but it was enough that I had to true them up again and ended up with a looser fit than everyone talks about. (No "pop")

Bill....Yup...I'm working on a Next IT project....but only in my head so far. I had 4 possible projects in mind and now I've narrowed it down to one. gonna spend a couple days working out the details and I'll start this weekend.

Michael Stafford
02-09-2006, 6:55 AM
Very nice, John. My first box is ashes somewhere in my garden. I managed to rip it apart as I was turning it. Very discouraging. Did you use dry wood? If the wood is not very dry it will move on you and cause the problems you describe. But your girls know a good thing when they see it. And Dad is a good thing! Make another box is my motto.

John Hart
02-09-2006, 7:08 AM
....Did you use dry wood? If the wood is not very dry it will move on you and cause the problems you describe....

Thanks Mike. Nope...It wasn't dry. Pretty close though. If I had to do it over again, I would change the order I did things. Next one, I'll rough out the center and take it through the drying stages before I start cutting the joins. I don't have much in the way of dry wood....everything's green.:rolleyes:

Chris Barton
02-09-2006, 7:38 AM
Show-off!:D

John Miliunas
02-09-2006, 8:35 AM
Yeah, what Barry said!:D :D :D (Gee, sure am glad you're not female, John, or I'd have to be moderating my own posts!!!:rolleyes: :o ):cool: