PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Maple Bowl

Keith Burns
02-08-2006, 9:11 PM
Obviously spalted maple. 7-1/4" dia. x 1-1/2" tall. Not much you can do with a blank that size. Friction polish and then buffed. First time turning that punky stuff, don't care for it. Anyway thanks for looking and I appreciate your comments.

Michael Stafford
02-08-2006, 9:16 PM
Nice wood, nice shape, nice bowl, nice job!!!:D

Cecil Arnold
02-08-2006, 9:23 PM
What Mike said.

Ernie Nyvall
02-08-2006, 9:28 PM
Looks mighty good though Keith.

Tell you what, Ill take the rest of that burdensome wood off your hands... probably burn it or something.:rolleyes:

Ernie

Bob Noles
02-08-2006, 9:30 PM
Keith,

I have to go with what Mike said also....... Great job all the way around. I really like the wood.

Thanks for showing.

Jim Ketron
02-08-2006, 9:34 PM
Beautiful form!
Nice piece of wood!

John Hart
02-08-2006, 9:56 PM
For not liking it, you sure turned it into something beautiful. Wonderful form. I like the way it sweeps out. The wood is alive!:)

Travis Stinson
02-08-2006, 10:05 PM
What everyone else said.....Wonderful form!:cool:

Mark Cothren
02-08-2006, 10:36 PM
Yep, I like it a lot... great wood... great bowl....

Thanks for the pictures!

Corey Hallagan
02-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Yeah, that is a bowl! The shape is excellent and that spalted maple is beautiful!

Corey

Andy Hoyt
02-09-2006, 12:30 AM
Great stuff, Keith.

First pic has some spalting action that reminds me of either Ben Franklin or a wolf - depending on which way you cock your head.

Bernie Weishapl
02-09-2006, 12:33 AM
Beautiful bowl Keith. Great work. I like the design and the way the edges sweep out.

Glenn Hodges
02-09-2006, 1:03 AM
Keith, all that hard work and trouble paid off. You have a bowl to be proud of.

Dick Parr
02-09-2006, 1:14 AM
Very nice Keith, great looking shape and wood.:)

Loy Hawes
02-09-2006, 4:07 AM
Nice looking bowl Keith.

Mike Burkeen
02-09-2006, 7:39 AM
Whats not to like about that .. Looks great.

Chris Barton
02-09-2006, 7:43 AM
a very nice bowl and great execution of form. I love to turn spalted maple but, the punky stuff is the dues you have to pay for the pleasure.

Sparky Paessler
02-09-2006, 8:47 AM
I love the pattern in the wood and the shape is good also. A great bowl from a fellow Tennesseen. (but then I'm closer to Canada than I am to you. It's a long state.)

Bill Stevener
02-09-2006, 1:31 PM
HI Keith,
I think you have a mighty fine looking bowl there. Considering the punky wood it looks great and you have met a life long challenge that every one experiences with the same.

Courently I have a piece of outstanding Big Leaf Maple Burl, in a rough out stage for a bowl since last fall. The donation for the blank was quite substantial, however quite a nice piece of wood. The blank was in about the 25% state of dryness. Now completely dry. As far as punky goes, like turning cork, or even worse. Kinda like most folks really don't know what true tare out is, this is like rip-out.

So I have been doing some research on different channels and found a post where a turner had done some extensive research on stabilizing punky wood. I would be more than happy to give credit to his work, however he doesnt give his name. Just from Central Texas.

His experiments using various methods, show that System Three Epoxy, thinned with alcohol to the consistency of real maple syrup, then applied liberally with a brush, on the wood, is the best method. Applying it to each side of the rough-out, the mixture will penetrate into all of the wood and finishes like a solid piece of wood.

I am going to try this when things warm up some and hope I can recover some of the denaro's invested in this piece of wood.

Just thought you may wish to try this method,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

John Hart
02-09-2006, 2:15 PM
HI ....I would be more than happy to give credit to his work, however he doesnt give his name. Just from Central Texas.....

Oh...Bill...That was me. Sorry for leaving my name out...I was in a hurry as I was traveling through Texas when I wrote it. ;)

Bill Stevener
02-09-2006, 4:04 PM
Sent an e-mail to the System Three Epoxy co. Hoping to get some detailed info on the same.

Will post the reply, if it's any good???????

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Ps: guess it's all John's fault.:D

Keith Burns
02-09-2006, 8:23 PM
Thanks to all for your comments. :) Thanks Bill and John:rolleyes: for the punky fix idea. Interesting to see if it works:)

John Hart
02-09-2006, 9:36 PM
Hey! I tried it tonight! How Cool!!!

I went and checked that spalted NE Hickory that Andy sent and the crack was back. So I went into emergency mode and put it on the lathe and turned it down to size. Unfortunately, the spalted part was starting to give way. I grabbed my system three bottles and DNA and mixed it up and brushed it on. Holy Cow. It soaked right in and hardened right up.

Looks like it is THE solution! It does darken the wood like oil so as long as that doesnt bother you....

Oh...also....I kinda sorta didnt measure anything so my mixture was quite a bit thinner than syrup....more like milk or Bailey's Irish creme with a little whiskey in it.:)

Dennis Peacock
02-09-2006, 9:46 PM
Very nice Keith. I really like the form on this one and looking down inside of it reflects a very nice shape and is enough to make one want to touch and hold it. Very well done sir!!!!:D

Keith Burns
02-09-2006, 9:48 PM
Hey! I tried it tonight! How Cool!!!

Oh...also....I kinda sorta didnt measure anything so my mixture was quite a bit thinner than syrup....more like milk or Bailey's Irish creme with a little whiskey in it.:)

Now we know your secret John:eek: :D

Jim Dunn
02-09-2006, 10:33 PM
John I hope you didn't taste it too.

Oh and Keith nice work on that bowl too.

Bill Stevener
02-09-2006, 10:55 PM
I received a reply from System Three Epoxy co.

They suggested trying there System Three Clear Coat Epoxy, no thinner required, as the viscosity is thin and allows for full penetration.

I don't think this is the same, or the process the article was about and I thought I may have read somewhere the Clear Coat did not do all that well for deep penetration.

More playing around required.

John, it was noted the wood should be dry???????????

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Carole Valentine
02-09-2006, 11:55 PM
First time turning that punky stuff, don't care for it.
But that punky stuff lates you know if your tools are REALLY sharp!:D
Nice looking piece, Keith.

Curtis O. Seebeck
02-16-2006, 8:18 PM
Not to hijack the thread but Bill, the fellow you mentioned that posted about the System Three epoxy trick was me. I recognize the words about thinning to the consistency of real maple syrup. That is how I describe what I use. Have been doing it a bunch and it works GREAT. Just thought I would throw that out since you siad you did not know who posted it.

John Hart
02-16-2006, 8:39 PM
Hey...Wait a minute Curtis...I thought it was me!!!!:D :D

Very cool idea sir!! I'm already a believer. Excellent technique!