PDA

View Full Version : Electric motor help

Joe Chritz
02-08-2006, 8:45 PM
I have just received a 3/4 HP motor as a replacement for my ancient import drill press. It is a new motor of a Delta 14" bandsaw and I did not inquire as to directional rotation prior to ordering it. (did on all others I bid on "over there" but forgot this time.)

My question is.... any idea how to check and see if it is reversable?

It is a dual voltage motor with 6 wires best as I can tell. The wiring diagram shows numbers 1,2,3,4,7,8 and a ground.

I was making the assumption that most new import motors are made to be reversable for ease of production. That is a huge assumption on my part and I may be way off.

Thanks in advance

Joe

Jim Davenport
02-08-2006, 9:07 PM
Joe;
Is it single phase capacitor start?, are you running 110, or 240?
My "NEMA Book" lists the the wire marking as 1,2,3,4,5 & 8
for High voltage connect CCW rotation 1 to L-1; 4,5 to L-2; join 2,3,8
For High voltage CW rotation 1 to L-1; 4,8 to L-2 join 2,3,5
for low voltage CCW rotation 1,3,8 to L-1; 2,4,8 to L-2
for low voltage CW rotation 1,2,5 to L-1; 2,4,8 to L-2
Are your wires colored?
1, blue
2, white
3, orange
4 yellow
5, black
8, red

Marc Kohlbauer
02-08-2006, 11:08 PM
Hey Joe,

If it doesn't work out for you, let me know. I didn't even think about the rotation when you said what you were going to use it for. I would be happy to buy it back and put it back up for sale.

Marc

Joe Chritz
02-08-2006, 11:48 PM
First allow me to give Marc a kudos for the fine packing job on the motor. It arrived without a scratch.

I can't stand it when I can't come up with an answer to something so I did some independant digging and found that by switching the two wires to the starter it changes direction. The other motor manual I checked showed the numbers as 5 and 8. On this motor they appeared to be the same numbers. I changed them around and it spins the correct way. I assume if I wired it wrong I would have known about it in a hurry. :eek:

Took a fairly dull 1 1/4 in forstner bit and it chopped right through an inch of oak with no problems.

Thanks again for the help and thanks again Marc looks like it will work great.

Joe

Marc Kohlbauer
02-09-2006, 9:31 AM
That's Awesome to hear Joe!

I'm glad it will work out for you.

Marc