PDA

View Full Version : Desk grain direction

Mark Hollingsworth
02-08-2006, 8:15 PM
I'm going to build a desk for my son and from what I have seen the grain on the carcass seems to usually run vertical. Is this the basic rule of thumb for the entire carcass? I'm going to use oak ply and ash face frame, drawer fronts and trim with a solid ash top. I'd especially like to hear from anyone who's built a desk and see pics if available.Hope I'm not asking too much. Thanks in advance. Mark

Dan Owen
02-08-2006, 9:11 PM
Mark,

As far as I'm concerned that is a basic rule. Trees grow up and down and not sideways.

Dan

Dave Falkenstein
02-08-2006, 9:18 PM
I think a piece of furniture, like a desk, looks best if the grain runs vertically and from side to side, rather than front to back. The sides typically have a vertical grain and the top, bottom and shelves (if applicable) have a side to side grain. Drawer fronts should have a side to side grain also, IMHO. Doors, if you use them would normally have a vertical grain in the panels.

Jeff A. Smith
02-08-2006, 10:15 PM
I think a piece of furniture, like a desk, looks best if the grain runs vertically and from side to side, rather than front to back. The sides typically have a vertical grain and the top, bottom and shelves (if applicable) have a side to side grain. Drawer fronts should have a side to side grain also, IMHO. Doors, if you use them would normally have a vertical grain in the panels.

Vertical on the ends and across the top from left to right. Right.

Jeff

tod evans
02-09-2006, 7:25 AM
Mark,

As far as I'm concerned that is a basic rule. Trees grow up and down and not sideways.

Dan

this is the analogy i always use......02 tod

Keel McDonald
02-09-2006, 7:43 AM
Mark,

I dealt with this same dilemma a few months ago. I actually wound up building the desks with the grain running horizontally, basically because I could get much more bang for my buck out of a sheet of ply if I ran the grain that way. I was a bit concerned about the look too. As it turned out, I think it looked better than if I had run the grain vertically. Here are some pics. Hope this helps. Sorry, don't have any finished pics yet.

Mark Hollingsworth
02-09-2006, 8:39 AM
To all of you guys, Thanks for the great responses. I really appreciate them. Keel, Your pics are a big help. If I go more than 48" on the front than I would have the same situation you had.My desk will be a no more than 50" total due to the space that it will fit in to. Is your top ply and how will you finish it? I've been told that a wood top should have glass or some other covering since the wood grain isn't condusive to writing on it with just a sheet of paper on the wood surface? Mark

tod evans
02-09-2006, 8:48 AM
To all of you guys, Thanks for the great responses. I really appreciate them. Keel, Your pics are a big help. If I go more than 48" on the front than I would have the same situation you had.My desk will be a no more than 50" total due to the space that it will fit in to. Is your top ply and how will you finish it? I've been told that a wood top should have glass or some other covering since the wood grain isn't condusive to writing on it with just a sheet of paper on the wood surface? Mark

mark, do your writing surface first class and inlet a leather covered panel...02 tod

Keel McDonald
02-09-2006, 8:55 AM

Mark

Yes, the writing surface is oak ply. I finished with mahogany(ish) stain and lacquer. Once sanded and finished, it is surprisingly smooth. I've had no complaints as to the difficulty of writing on it. I agree that glass would be a nice touch, and it would probably be smoother, but it's not necessary. Not to mention, as you can tell, the one I built is not exactly a rectangle, making fitting a piece of glass very difficult. If you're building a rectangular desk, it should be much easier. Don't forget to post some pics when finished. Good luck!

Mark Hollingsworth
02-09-2006, 11:42 AM
mark, do your writing surface first class and inlet a leather covered panel...02 tod
Tod, I like the idea of a leather top but don't have a clue how that is done! Mark

Mark Hollingsworth
02-09-2006, 11:53 AM
Mark

Yes, the writing surface is oak ply. I finished with mahogany(ish) stain and lacquer. Once sanded and finished, it is surprisingly smooth. I've had no complaints as to the difficulty of writing on it. I agree that glass would be a nice touch, and it would probably be smoother, but it's not necessary. Not to mention, as you can tell, the one I built is not exactly a rectangle, making fitting a piece of glass very difficult. If you're building a rectangular desk, it should be much easier. Don't forget to post some pics when finished. Good luck!
Keel, Thanks again for the response. I like the idea of putting leather on top that Tod suggested and if I find out how to do it, I might try it. At the same time it was good to hear what you have done and that it works well. This is probably what I will wind up doing, however I thought i would glue up boards for a solid top but am a bit concerned about seasonal movement from humidity ups and downs and what the best way to secure the top is. Got any thoughts? PS If my son will show me how to put the pics on here I'll do it. Thanks, Mark

tod evans
02-09-2006, 11:53 AM
it`s really quite simple to "veneer" with leather as it doesn`t curl and blister like wood. contact a leather supply house, tandy is a national chain, and tell them what you`re using it for because you don`t want "texture" i`d suggest a lightweight hide glued to an mdf substraight. 3-m spray 90 is a good adhesive just follow directions on the can. i think it looks nicer to wrap the edges with the leather and make the writing surface sit slightly proud of the surrounding desk than to try and flush it up. dark green, dark red, black and beige all look nice with the appropriate wood. play around with some scrap to get the feel of working the leather it`s not that hard.....02 tod

Jerry Olexa
02-09-2006, 11:54 AM
Mark here's a desk I did a few years ago of Oak. Agree with others. Vert on sides and cab doors. Horiz on drawer fronts. See pic for my butchery..

Mark Hollingsworth
02-09-2006, 12:40 PM
Mark here's a desk I did a few years ago of Oak. Agree with others. Vert on sides and cab doors. Horiz on drawer fronts. See pic for my butchery..
Jerry that is beutiful! Thank you, Mark

Mark Hollingsworth
02-09-2006, 12:47 PM
it`s really quite simple to "veneer" with leather as it doesn`t curl and blister like wood. contact a leather supply house, tandy is a national chain, and tell them what you`re using it for because you don`t want "texture" i`d suggest a lightweight hide glued to an mdf substraight. 3-m spray 90 is a good adhesive just follow directions on the can. i think it looks nicer to wrap the edges with the leather and make the writing surface sit slightly proud of the surrounding desk than to try and flush it up. dark green, dark red, black and beige all look nice with the appropriate wood. play around with some scrap to get the feel of working the leather it`s not that hard.....02 tod
Tod, this is sounding more enticing the more i think about it. And to think my desk is all sawdust and glue that I bought on an auction over 20 yrs ago. One of these days I'll build myself one and I'm sold on the idea of leather for that one for sure. Do you know if there are any books that cover leather inlet ? Mark

tod evans
02-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Tod, this is sounding more enticing the more i think about it. And to think my desk is all sawdust and glue that I bought on an auction over 20 yrs ago. One of these days I'll build myself one and I'm sold on the idea of leather for that one for sure. Do you know if there are any books that cover leather inlet ? Mark

not that i`ve seen, but that don`t mean nuthin`.. :) .02 tod

Keel McDonald
02-09-2006, 1:31 PM
Keel, Thanks again for the response. I like the idea of putting leather on top that Tod suggested and if I find out how to do it, I might try it. At the same time it was good to hear what you have done and that it works well. This is probably what I will wind up doing, however I thought i would glue up boards for a solid top but am a bit concerned about seasonal movement from humidity ups and downs and what the best way to secure the top is. Got any thoughts? PS If my son will show me how to put the pics on here I'll do it. Thanks, Mark

I built the 2 side cabinets of the desk with a top, then screwed the desktop to the tops of the cabinets from underneath. Since it was ply, I wasn't too concerned about seasonal movement. If you use a solid top, you could use figure 8's to secure the top and it would allow for movement.

Mark Hollingsworth
02-09-2006, 2:10 PM
I built the 2 side cabinets of the desk with a top, then screwed the desktop to the tops of the cabinets from underneath. Since it was ply, I wasn't too concerned about seasonal movement. If you use a solid top, you could use figure 8's to secure the top and it would allow for movement.
Keel, Can you explain figure 8s. Mark

Mark Hollingsworth
02-09-2006, 2:40 PM
not that i`ve seen, but that don`t mean nuthin`.. :) .02 tod
Tod, you really got me thinkin. What would you think about an inlay of purpleheart over ash for a top? Mark

Marvin Keys
02-09-2006, 3:42 PM
I have been looking into doing a leather top on the desk I am building and found some instructions at the following web site.

http://antiquerestorers.com/LEATHERinstall.htm

From these instructions it appears to be a fairly simple thing to do.

I am in no way affiliated with this company and I have no idea whether the instructions actually work.

Keel McDonald
02-10-2006, 7:35 AM
Keel, Can you explain figure 8s. Mark

Mark

Try this link. http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1089 You screw one hole into the desk base, and the other one into the top. Just fasten them so they are snug, but still able to move.

Keel McDonald
02-10-2006, 7:38 AM
Here's a slightly different style, but same concept. http://www.woodworkersshop.com/Tabletop_and_Figure_8_Fasteners.htm

tod evans
02-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Tod, you really got me thinkin. What would you think about an inlay of purpleheart over ash for a top? Mark

mark, the only exotics i have experience with are veneers and i`m not a fan of contrasting wood on furniture. maybe pegs or splines or the occasional inlay but that`s the extent that i use contrasting colors. if you`re building with ash check out tamo ash veneer it`s got really cool grain! .02 tod