PDA

View Full Version : Is "The Woodworking Show" worth attending?

Keith Webster
02-08-2006, 7:37 PM
I am shopping for a bandsaw and noticed that an outfit called The Woodworking Show is going to be in Houston on March 31. Their link is below. I see that they go to many other cities and just wondered if any of you have been to one of these? I thought about waiting till the show to look at the Laguna Tools BS and the Mini-Max BS. If any of you have been and think that it is well worth the wait to buy there let me know.

Thanks

http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com

Chris Dodge
02-08-2006, 7:39 PM
I go to one here in Southern California every year and really enjoy it! I have found some great deals, learned a few things in their classes and had the opportunity to meet other woodworkers in my area. I really enjoy these shows a lot!

John Shuk
02-08-2006, 7:54 PM
I've always enjoyed going.

Barry O'Mahony
02-08-2006, 8:01 PM
it's smaller than it used to be, but I think it's still worth going. Picked up a Bosch ROS and a Lie-Nielson plane at the last one. Lee Valley was taking catalog orders, with free shipping (a good deal in states like mine with no sales tax, either). And the one before that, David Marks was giving a class. You should be able to give the Laguna and Mini-Max the once over, an important thing IMHO for big purchases like this.

Steve Clardy
02-08-2006, 8:01 PM
Been going to their shows about 16 years now.
Deals sometimes, sometimes not.

Doug Shepard
02-08-2006, 8:05 PM
I used to go to the Detroit show every year, but have missed the last 2 years. Mostly due to vendor participation dropping off somewhat at least here. You can usually check the web to see which vendors will be at which shows if you want to make sure something you want to look at will be there. If you haven't been to one, they're nice to check out if for no other reason than to see all the stuff that's out there and being able to compare stuff up close.

Cecil Arnold
02-08-2006, 9:48 PM
I've been to the past three or four shows in Houston and while I would like to see more manufacturers represented, I don't think you will be disappointed. Laguna and Mini-Max have been here in the past and I don't see why they won't be this time. Since MM is in Austin they should surely be here. Last year I was looking for Logisol (?) and asked around to discover that they had passed up Houston to make the drive to another show and Houston would have pressed them for time. If you were to decide on a BS, you may be able to save some $$ by buying and picking up at the show. Something to consider.

Charlie Plesums
02-09-2006, 12:32 AM
The best deals combine the show discounts (often but not always on everything) with a pick-up at the end of the show. You might save a couple hundred in shipping costs on a big saw, and have confidence that the one that was being demo'ed for a couple days had been set up by experts.

You might want to coordinate with the vendors to be sure the model(s) you are considering will be there - no sense waiting if all the wrong models happen to be making the trip.

If you haven't been to one, the first time you will probably load up on odd things that you didn't realize were available. You then will probably go back each year to see what is new, and pick up just a few items. I got out of the last one for only about $30 but I was glad to see what was new.

David Duke
02-09-2006, 8:12 AM
I've been going to the Houston show the last 4 yrs. As have been said the deals at times aren't that great but I really enjoy going just to see the many different thing available, its kinda like looking at a WWing catalog live. I normaly end up buying something every year, last year I got the Kreg BS fence sith the micro adjust and re-saw guide.

Brad Schmid
02-09-2006, 9:27 AM
Keith,

This will be my 7th year going to the Houston show, and while it has definitely gotten smaller over the years, it still is fun to go, and I usually meet a few SMCer's there too. I don't usually find alot of extraordinary deals, but there are some discounts to be had.

As far as band saws, I did get a pretty good deal on my MM16 last year, and here's what I did. I called MM in Austin about a month or so before the show. I had seen them before, so I already knew what I wanted. They were selling the last of their inventory of 2004 saws, so I bought one over the phone. The deal was that they would bring it with them to the show and set it up as a display model. They didn't demo it, they didn't even put a plug on the cord. They just wanted it sitting there for the show. The really nice thing about that was, it was set up right, adjusted, and cleaned already. On Sunday after the show I was able to pick it up. This saved me the shipping, and was also able to get show discounts, and the special they had running for the 2004 models at the time. In 2005 they changed the saw a bit to go from 14 1/2" resaw height to 16" resaw height.

Brad

Alan Burhop
02-09-2006, 9:29 AM
I enjoy seeeing everything at the show. I like to watch the demos and seeing what cool inventions are out there. I also attend the free seminars. Last year I didn't buy anything because what I needed was cheaper somewhere else. Just know the prices for things before you go. SOmetimes they vendors will bargain with you as well. especialy on sunday.

Scott Coffelt
02-09-2006, 9:36 AM
Even though the show last weekend in KC was the worst I've seen, there were still things worth seeing. I spent a large percentage of my time just watching the guy and Lie Nielsen doing his thing. I still spent mula, bought a set of Norton stones.

Tom Jones III
02-09-2006, 9:45 AM
I went to the Houston show for the first time last year. I was very under-whelmed. The price of admission was high and if there were deals around, I didn't see them. I saw pretty much the same things you could see by going to the ww'ing stores around town. There were a couple things you could see that are not available in town, but not much. I definitely won't be going again unless I get free tickets.

Allen Bookout
02-09-2006, 9:48 AM
I went to the Tampa show a few months ago and some of the vendors that were shown on the brochure were not even there. I would try to make sure that the companies that you are interested in are not no shows. How do you do that? I do not know but would not go again unless I could have some confirmation.

I see that you are interested in bandsaws. If I were buying anything other than the basic 14" model I can think of no other tool that I would want to campare side by side. One company had one just sitting there without anyone around it but another company had a person actually using the machine and explaning the design and redesign of there machine. Even knowing that the guy was an expert in setting up and using the machine it was still impressive. Guess which one I would have bought had I been in the market?

I kind of got off of the subject but my point is that, if possible, make sure that you know that the products that you are interested in are actually there before you make the long drive to Houston. For one of the larger size bandsaws it would definitely be worth the drive for me.

If you go let us know what you think of the show. If it is really good I might take the time to go to Orlando. If not I do not really feel like wasting another day or two.

Allen

tod evans
02-09-2006, 9:54 AM
keith, if you are waiting to see the saws in person, take a piece of 12" wide hardwood with you, your decision will be very easy after using the saws....02 tod

Allen Bookout
02-09-2006, 10:02 AM
keith, if you are waiting to see the saws in person, take a piece of 12" wide hardwood with you, your decision will be very easy after using the saws....02 tod

I TOTALLY agree with that!!!

Jim Becker
02-09-2006, 10:06 AM
I TOTALLY agree with that!!!

Ditto. Eye opening experience.

For this class of machine, there can be some advantages to doing the show including kicking the tires and special pricing/packages. (Although the show deal can also usually be had if the time frame is consistent and you have the inability to physically attend said show. I actually bought my machines in advance and took delivery at the conclusion of the show.

Byron Trantham
02-09-2006, 10:37 AM
Been going to their shows about 16 years now.
Deals sometimes, sometimes not.

Exactly! I love to go though. It's alway fun to put your hands on equipment you ordinarily don't get to see much less handle.

Cecil Arnold
02-09-2006, 10:49 AM
Jim & Tod, having said to bring some 12" stock to be resawn, you already know which BS he will choose.

tod evans
02-09-2006, 10:51 AM
Jim & Tod, having said to bring some 12" stock to be resawn, you already know which BS he will choose.

yup, but some folks gotta see with their own two eyes:) ....02 tod

Tom Saurer
02-09-2006, 12:44 PM
I've been to two of their shows in Minneapolis. If you want to go or not...depends. If you want to get your hands on a lot of things and try them...yes, if you want to hang out with your friends....yes, if you want to go to the classes....yes.

For me, I don't drool over things I can't afford so, looking at machinery isn't really for me. The two years I've went the classes were the same, so I probably won't be going to see those again. So unless I have a purchase in mind, find a new class, or have someone to go with I won't be going again.

Jerry White
02-09-2006, 1:44 PM
I tend to agree with all those above who have attended the Houston Show in previous years. The number of major exhibitors continues to decline and not many real bargains are offered. I just looked at the Woodworking Show website to see the list of exhibitors and scheduled seminars for the Houston show, and it appears that the downward trend is continuing. It appears that the schedule of exhibitors and seminars is better in other locations.

However, I still think that the show is worth attending and do plan to go. There will be good exhibits/demo's by Lie Nielsen, Tormek, MiniMax, and Laguna. Usually Delta and Jet are represented by local dealers with show specials. Also, if you are in the market for a Forest blade, 3D should be there with some specials.