PDA

View Full Version : Laguna 14-12 Bandsaw

Barbara White
06-11-2024, 6:13 AM
Thinking about buying the Laguna 14-12 bandsaw. Curious about the pros and cons. I have a Grizzly GO555 LX purchased in 2020. Several things I don't like about it. It makes a flapping noise that after several hours on the phone with tech support, they told me to just ignore and run the machine. An 1/8" blade doesn't track and slides off so I have to adjust the wheels so they are not coplaner. The mounting bracket of the thrust bearing doesn't allow enough forward movement to properly support the blade from behind. It's extremely difficult to reach the trunion bolts to square up the table. Those are just some of the issues. From what I've read, the Laguna is easier to adjust plus I like the fact that it has a lower table than the Jet and Rikon, potentially making it easier for a shorter person. Thanks for any advice.

James Jayko
06-11-2024, 9:16 AM
I had a 17" Grizzly that I had some issues with; I got rid of it and got the Laguna 14|12. I really like it for everything I do. I got a good 1/2" Resaw King blade for it and have used it for resawing and it has worked well. Honestly, no complaints. It doesn't have the capacity and power of the Grizzly, but I think a really good blade (or at least a new one) gets you enough of the way there for a home gamer. IMO it seems to be better all around, as longas the capacity limitations aren't an issue for your work. But if the Grizzly 555 wasn't an issue from a capacity perspective, you'll be very happy with the Laguna...more capacity than what you're working with and like 2x the power.

Jimmy Harris
06-11-2024, 9:46 AM
It's a fine bandsaw. I'm personally of the opinion that pretty much all of the 14" steel framed bandsaws are about the same. The differences between them are pretty minor. The main selling points with the 14|12 are the ceramic guides, the fence, and lower table. Personally, being a taller person, the low table was an immediate deal breaker for me. But you're not me. Some people love ceramic guides and some people hate them. But if you decide you hate them, there are alternate guides available for that saw, so you're not stuck with them.

The real question is, if you're going to upgrade to a new bandsaw anyway, do you want another 14" bandsaw, or do you want something bigger? You'll get more tension from a steel frame bandsaw, which is nice if you do a lot of resawing. But this could be an opportunity to upgrade to something that can handle a wider blade. Though, if your old bandsaw does everything you could ever ask of it, but just annoys you to use, then upsizing would probably just be a waste of space and money.

John TenEyck
06-11-2024, 10:31 AM
The Delta 14" clones all have that problem of not being able move the lower thrust bearing far enough forward, just like the original they all copied. With anything wider than a 1/4" blade they can't put much tension on the blade, so the performance suffers; that's just the nature of the cast iron and design of the saw. The Laguna, or any of the other 14" steel spine saws, including Grizzly's, would be a huge step up.

FWIW, it doesn't matter if the wheels are coplaner or not after tensioning the blade, as long as it runs OK, but it is a sign of the how flimsy the frame is.

John

Tom Trees
06-11-2024, 1:07 PM
Just as likely the wheels being out of alignment on the other axis.
Due to the design of nearly all saws on the market today, you won't find a tech from any company willing to admit this, nor fix.
Though perhaps you'll be seeing more of this kinda thing in future, should the same saw be sold over there.
Note, the lower wheel adjustment hub, isn't present on some unscrupulous newer saws being sold today!
https://i.postimg.cc/vT71ZQpz/30799q.jpg

(https://i.postimg.cc/vT71ZQpz/30799q.jpg)
Edit: I'm not so sure I'd buy one of those 14/12 saws either, as it seems like the adjustment relies on cinching down on a disc/sheet sandwich, compared to what's been the norm.
https://i.postimg.cc/MGRrNTc2/Screenshot-2024-6-11-14-12-Bandsaw-for-Woodworking-Laguna-Tools.png

If getting a better machine, fair warning to see the machine running w/ widest blade the saw would honestly handle, before parting with the cash,
unless it has some motor adjustment to align with whichever direction the upper wheel is facing, i.e left or right.

One might presume it being only a matter of making a shim, but be sure that there is plenty of adjustment of the pulley if so.
https://i.postimg.cc/KYQJRbym/129129-Screenshot-2022-11-27-SCM-Formula-S-640-P-Bandsaw-Installation-You-Tube-1.png

Certainly worth keeping an eye out for second hand, as it's often the case folks would be upgrading that size of saw.

All the best
Tom

Tim Best
06-11-2024, 1:53 PM
FWIW I have had my 14|12 for more than three years and I really enjoy having it in the shop. I use it in some way on nearly every project. It does everything I’ve ever asked of it. I have resawn hard maple with a 5/8 blade without issue. I will not win any speed records resawing on the 14|12, but I’m a hobbyist without deadlines. Laguna says it can properly tension a 3/4 blade, but I do not believe it can. I like the ceramic guides much more than ball bearing guides. I have used other machines with the bearing guides without issue. To me at least, the ceramic guides are superior. I am not sure the saw will accept an 1/8” blade. I keep a 1/4” on mine for general purpose cutting and it works beautifully. A 1/8” blade may work, but you may need some sort of blade stabilizer. Again, I could very well be wrong on this point.

David M Peters
06-11-2024, 3:09 PM
I've had my 14|12 since 2017-ish and am still pleased with it. I'll echo Tim's experience in that it doesn't like tensioning a 3/4" blade. But I get great results with a 1/2" x 0.035" Lennox Di-Master so I'm not worried about it.

The ceramic guides "just work". They get dirty and blackened up over time but still function perfectly.

The saw resaws with with little to no drift. I've never had to adjust the fence alignment. It just works.

Barbara White
06-11-2024, 7:24 PM
Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated.

Paul Saffold
06-12-2024, 8:32 AM
I have the 14-12 and have been happy with it. It was a HUGE step up from a Rigid 14" saw.
It has taken me awhile to get it tuned the way I like it. I have had trouble keeping the ceramic guides positioned. The small knobs were challenging for me. I replaced them with hex cap screws which I find work better.
Early on I had several blades break. Someone, not Laguna tech support which I didn't get much help from, suggested using 0.025" thick blades rather than the 0.035" which many people apparently use OK. Since switching I have not had a blade break. I like the bi-metal blades, they last much longer. I keep a 3/8" on most of the time and a 5/8" Laguna when resawing. I don't do enough resawing to justify a carbide tipped blade but they do sound great.
The tension gauge is nothing more than a magnet like a refrigerator magnet. Mine was not positioned correctly and that didn't help.
I wish I had bought the Laguna 14BX for a little bit more $$. Mostly for the break.
I'm 6'4" but I still really like the lower table.
Good luck with your decision.

Justin Rapp
06-17-2024, 8:56 AM
I was going to buy the 14-12 but ended up stepping up to the 14BX. I was skeptical about the ceramic guides at first but now that I know how to adjust them it's fine. I do tend to fight with it trying to get a 1/8" blade on but once I get it set-up it works fine. OF course, I need to change the blade for another project and have there goes my setup.

However I think the issues you are having with getting your blade to track strait is a setup thing - 1/8" blades are a bare to get setup and track strait.

Are you getting the flapping noise on any blade you use or just one blade? If it's only one blade, it could be the weld catching somewhere as it goes around. Pretty common issue.

Cameron Wood
06-17-2024, 2:43 PM
I haven't used an 1/8" blade, but when you say this:

"An 1/8" blade doesn't track and slides off so I have to adjust the wheels so they are not coplaner."

I wonder if this statement would also be true:

"An 1/8" blade doesn't track and slides off so I have to adjust the wheels so that it tracks."

Cheers, Cameron

Michael Burnside
06-17-2024, 3:02 PM
The smallest I go on my 14BX is 1/4" and while I rarely use it, it's great and I have no issues. For anything smaller and even 1/4" most of the time, I have a second bandsaw, Rikon 10-3601, which is a great little bandsaw. Aggravation and time swapping blades, the $450 I paid for the 3601 it's already paid for itself.