PDA

View Full Version : Creeker’s past weeks accomplishments

Rod Sheridan
06-03-2024, 1:30 PM
Well, it’s June already, boy am I behind on shop projects.

I made a drying rack for my hydraulic table to hold doors that are drying after being stained or varnished.

With a small shop it will make the process easier to handle 10 doors at a time.

I also made a small red oak shelf for above the range to hold a few spice shakers and hang the mat/backsplash for the range.

The shelf arms slide through the mortises to make shorter if required.

So what did you do last week?

Regards, Rod

Jim Becker
06-03-2024, 8:11 PM
This past week featured helping our younger daughter and her now-finacée move to their new center city Philadelphia (Old City) studio apartment...which is, um...tiny. But what a great location and neighborhood. :) So on the weekend, I got started on the kitchen island and eating unit that will go into that apartment. As noted in another thread, the design has morphed several times as requirements became more clear, the last being they have exactly one small drawer in the kitchen there and it's just not adequate. So that will also be addressed with that project. I received a delivery of sheet goods on Thursday that are for both this project and two others that are on the list. So hopefully, I can move this along and there will be a thread in Woodworking Projects when that happens.

Maurice Mcmurry
06-03-2024, 8:27 PM
Congratulations to to the newly engaged! Jim, your commitment to your family is admirable. I hope a Cheesesteak is in your future as a reward. In Philadelphia the real deal with genuine Cheese Whiz should be available.
-Maurice

Jim Becker
06-04-2024, 8:50 AM
I hope a Cheesesteak is in your future as a reward. In Philadelphia the real deal with genuine Cheese Whiz should be available.

Blech.... :o. I prefer the chicken version anyway and it most often uses "American" cheese. Which when you think about it is also highly processed stuff. I ask for provolone when it's possible. :) At any rate, the area they are in (Old City) isn't where the "Cheese Steak Center Of the World" is, but a major walk south gets you there.

Denis Rezendes
06-04-2024, 9:32 AM
My first child was born about two months ago. I wasn't able to take much time off around her birth but I was able to take the past two weeks off. It was a great mix of house work, shop time, and family time. I started a few projects, now I just have to carve out the time to finish them.

Paul F Franklin
06-04-2024, 9:48 AM
Rod, that's a clever design for a drying rack. With long arms you could use both sides, and the whole thing breaks down into ....sticks... I like it and may borrow the idea should the need arise.

I used to travel to Philly regularly to work with a vendor there and they always treated us to real deal cheese steaks for lunch. I think I still have those pounds around somewhere, despite my best efforts. Well, some effort anyway.:rolleyes:

The laundry table project has been pushed aside once again while I work on making a place for a hot tub. After changing my mind a few times and generally overthinking it, I decided to reinforce the existing deck instead of removing part of it and installing a pad for the tub. I thought the latter approach would be less work but after pulling the decking off the, um, deck, I figured I could slide a couple of beams under the existing joists and support them with new piers. Saturday I rented a hydraulic auger and bored 9 holes 42" deep down through the existing framing. Out of the 9 there were 2 that I didn't have to pull the auger and lever out a big rock or cut a big root, so bonus.... Now I have to pour the piers and then wrestle the beams into place. Based on my calculations, when it's done it should easily support twice the anticipated weight of the tub, water, and occupants. Not sure this approach will turn out to be less work, but I'm committed at this point.

Jim, congrats to your daughter and her guy. And I'm sure you needed some new projects anyway!

Rod Sheridan
06-04-2024, 12:45 PM
Thanks Paul, that's why I wanted that design, it breaks down into sticks that take very little space to store.

Regards, Rod.

Edward Weber
06-04-2024, 12:52 PM
Blech.... :o. I prefer the chicken version anyway and it most often uses "American" cheese. Which when you think about it is also highly processed stuff. I ask for provolone when it's possible. :) At any rate, the area they are in (Old City) isn't where the "Cheese Steak Center Of the World" is, but a major walk south gets you there.

So you're the guy who holds up the line :D

Justin Rapp
06-05-2024, 1:30 PM
My accomplishment - getting my dust collector back up and running after the terminal block in the motor junction box fried! I went back and forth with Laguna for days (and the holiday weekend) trying to see if they have the exact terminal block that was supplied with the motor - but they don't. I was able to source another block that I trusted and made a new mounting plate. Rewired and it's running. Now I can make sawdust again!!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-05-2024, 9:54 PM
We have been on the road for 2 1/2 weeks and no shop time. Today as we came across central Montana on US-90, we topped a rise and the view to the south showed snow caps for 150-200 miles east to west. As we drove over Bozeman pass I was reminded that a mere 3 weeks ago, the west bound lanes were closed overnight due heavy snow fall. One woman with 2 young children were stopped for a reported 10 1/2 hours. Tomorrow the last leg home, God willing.