PDA

View Full Version : Planning another trip. KY/TN/NC/GA

Michael Drew
05-29-2024, 7:31 PM
After last year's trip to this part of the country, a second trip is needed. Total trip recap is in this thread from 2023. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?301671-Looking-for-some-travel-tips-SC-TN-KY-WV

I’m planning this second trip for the fall. I have about 16 days/nights I can be gone in September. We'll fly into the Louisville/Cincinnati airport, rent a car, and drive down through Kentucky, Tennessee, and North Carolina, and finally catch a return flight from Atlanta GA.

Over the past few months, since our trip last year to this part of the country, I’ve been researching rural towns in KY, TN, and NC quite a bit. I'm still trying to find “that spot” to relocate to when I finally retire. Hopefully, that will be early 2025. I wont be of retirement age, but going to work is like eating glass anymore.

All three of these states appear to be similar concerning total cost of living, total tax structures, and most other things to consider when looking for a place to retire and live. There are small pros and cons to each state, but all in all, they are not that different. At least I don't think they are.....

This time I am focusing on the east side of KY and TN, and the West side of NC. I can’t live anywhere without mountains, rivers, lakes, green valleys, etc. I’m also looking for rural areas that are still within half an hour or so to the big box stores when I need supplies. I can’t see myself living in a town with a population more than a few thousand. A few hundred sounds even better to me…..

I’ve basically been using YouTube, Zillow and Google Maps to research and plan this trip but some help from folks who actually live or have lived around this part of the country would great. I don’t want to miss a great spot to check out while we are driving through….

Plans so far, starting with the first place of interest…All the cities/towns on the visit list are potential spots to relocate too.

Fly into Cincinnati, then drive to Georgetown KY.
Overnight in Georgetown and check out this area north of Lexington.
Next day, drive through Lexington to Bardstown.
Spend the weekend at Bardstown for the bourbon festival.
Head east to Berea. Scope out the area between Berea, Richmond and Danville KY. Overnight here.
Head south through Knoxville, to Townsend TN. Overnight here?
Head to Dandridge TN. Overnight here?
Head east to Boone NC. Spend a couple of days here, checking out Boone, Banner Elk, and Blowing Rock.
Head south to Brevard NC, then west to Waynesville and Sylva NC. Probably spend a couple days here.
Head back west to Tellico Plains TN. Overnight and check out.
Head to Helen GA. Not a potential place to live, but we do enjoy these Bavarian/German-themed mountain towns, so maybe it is?
Drive to Atlanta and catch a flight home.

Any tips and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

.......mike

John M Wilson
05-29-2024, 8:13 PM
Head to Helen GA. Not a potential place to live, but we do enjoy these Bavarian/German-themed mountain towns, so maybe it is?
Drive to Atlanta and catch a flight home.

Any tips and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

.......mike

Don't totally disregard North Georgia -- It's got some terrific scenery, a few reservoir style lakes in the foothills, and can get very, very rural. You might want to have a couple alternate places to scope out, in case something earlier in your trip is clearly not your cup of tea and you can move on early.

As you get closer to Atlanta, though, all of that scenic rural stuff goes away and judging by your previous criteria, you want to stay far, far away from Atlanta.

Good Luck!

Howard Garner
05-30-2024, 12:30 AM
Since your going to Bervard, NC, consider dropping down the mountain to Pickens, SC
This falls into you small town requirement. Big box stores are 15 miles away.
Close to Greenville for major medical and arttys stuff.

Howard Garner
Pickens, SAC

Michael Drew
05-30-2024, 9:37 AM
Don't totally disregard North Georgia -- It's got some terrific scenery, a few reservoir style lakes in the foothills, and can get very, very rural. You might want to have a couple alternate places to scope out, in case something earlier in your trip is clearly not your cup of tea and you can move on early.

As you get closer to Atlanta, though, all of that scenic rural stuff goes away and judging by your previous criteria, you want to stay far, far away from Atlanta.

Good Luck!

Thanks for that. Not really looking forward to navigating Atlanta, but I figured it was the best option for flights. I've spent plenty of time in big cities and can get around OK. I just don't like them enough to live in or near them.

Since your going to Bervard, NC, consider dropping down the mountain to Pickens, SC
This falls into you small town requirement. Big box stores are 15 miles away.
Close to Greenville for major medical and arttys stuff.

Howard Garner
Pickens, SAC

Thank you. I will check add it to the list.

Malcolm Schweizer
05-30-2024, 9:53 AM
Look up Cades Cove, TN- near Gatlinburg. I once rented a log cabin there in the woods and it was amazing and peaceful. Then drive to Asheville, NC and visit the Biltmore estate.

Michael Drew
05-30-2024, 12:20 PM
Look up Cades Cove, TN- near Gatlinburg. I once rented a log cabin there in the woods and it was amazing and peaceful. Then drive to Asheville, NC and visit the Biltmore estate.

That looks to be near Townsend, up the mountain. We visited Ashville and toured Biltmore last year. Loved the Ashville area, hence the return trip through the less populated mountain towns near Ashville. Ashville, however, is way too crowded for me to live there. A bit too 'quirky' for more than just a visit as well.... Biltmore is friggin amazing!

Pat Germain
05-30-2024, 1:22 PM
My parents retired to Russellville, Arkansas. They recently had to move in with me due to health challenges, but they really liked Russellville. It's a small college town with a small population and no traffic. Yet, there are grocery stores, movie theaters and a big box store. (Pretty sure they have a Home Despot.) There was a full service hospital right down the street. This is a big issue which I don't think many people consider. My parents at first tried to retire to Pahrump, Nevada. While that place had many challenges, the biggest challenge was they had to drive to Las Vegas for absolutely any and all medical appointments, medical tests and medical procedures. They researched Pahrump before they moved and were led to believe there was hospital there. Turned out the hospital was a small clinic where doctors visited only once a month and typically cancelled that visit.

So, anyway, definitely take a look at Russellville. The cost of living is surprisingly low for 21st century USA. There's a very large lake there. Lots of trees and mountains as well. (Well, I'm in Colorado, so the "mountains" area really "hills", but the locals call them mountains.)

It does rain a lot in Arkansas, but if you want lakes, rivers and trees, with that comes rain.

Norris Randall
05-30-2024, 7:24 PM
DON'T miss Stone Mountain just out from Atlanta.

Brian Runau
05-31-2024, 12:47 PM
I used to make sales calls to industrial accounts in western Kentucky in the 1990's. Louisville, bowling Green, Owensboro, Maysville, Lexington over to London and Pikeville on the WV border. People were friendly, but you have to careful where you go. Spent the night in Hazard with a customer from Harlan and we had dinner at the Holiday Inn and he took me out into town and we hit a couple places. At the end of the night he told me if I had to be in Hazard on my own not go out into town at night. These people don't know me and I would not be welcomed. I took his advice. Not sure how much it has changed. London Middlebury area is nice for outdoors stuff. Cumberland Gap is there as well as a falls that has a moon bow in Cumberland Gap state park. Pikeville is a nice area, but isolated. There was a building coming into Mechanicsburg. Concrete block with two doors side by side, with two separate business in the building. A liquor store in one side and a gun shop in the other. Brian

https://parks.ky.gov/explore/cumberland-falls-state-resort-park-7786

(https://parks.ky.gov/explore/cumberland-falls-state-resort-park-7786)

Mike Wilkins
05-31-2024, 11:06 PM
I grew up in Western NC, Rutherford County, Forest City. Small town about an hours drive to Asheville or Charlotte, and they have a Lowes.
No woodworking supply stores, hence the drive to Asheville or Charlotte. Or mail order. Nice area, reasonable cost of living, and just across the border from SC.

Al Weber
06-02-2024, 10:57 AM
Most of East TN within a hours drive of Knoxville is so built out that it isn't very attractive any longer. I moved to the area 15 years ago and essentially every semi remote area has been built up with subdivisions and without any thoughts to increased traffic and utilities. Home prices escalated and the current flavor is massive apartment complexes and lots of strip malls with fast food outlets as far as the eye can see.
Midway between Knoxville and Chattanooga might be better options for a semi-rural lifestyle.
Don't believe the tax propaganda in TN either. Currently the sales tax rate in the metro Knoxville area is 9.75% on essentially everything except food which is about 5% I think. The governor just gave businesses back 2 years of excise taxes so the chances of sales tax relief is remote.
I wouldn't come back here today if faces with a move.

Michael Drew
06-02-2024, 12:23 PM
DON'T miss Stone Mountain just out from Atlanta.

Thanks for that. Looks like a great place to spend a day.

I used to make sales calls to industrial accounts in western Kentucky in the 1990's. Louisville, bowling Green, Owensboro, Maysville, Lexington over to London and Pikeville on the WV border. People were friendly, but you have to careful where you go. Spent the night in Hazard with a customer from Harlan and we had dinner at the Holiday Inn and he took me out into town and we hit a couple places. At the end of the night he told me if I had to be in Hazard on my own not go out into town at night. These people don't know me and I would not be welcomed. I took his advice. Not sure how much it has changed. London Middlebury area is nice for outdoors stuff. Cumberland Gap is there as well as a falls that has a moon bow in Cumberland Gap state park. Pikeville is a nice area, but isolated. There was a building coming into Mechanicsburg. Concrete block with two doors side by side, with two separate business in the building. A liquor store in one side and a gun shop in the other. Brian

https://parks.ky.gov/explore/cumberland-falls-state-resort-park-7786

(https://parks.ky.gov/explore/cumberland-falls-state-resort-park-7786)

I suspect this is not unique to Hazard. I remember hiking in Hawaii and was not feeling all that welcome in some places I wandering through......

My parents retired to Russellville, Arkansas. They recently had to move in with me due to health challenges, but they really liked Russellville. It's a small college town with a small population and no traffic. Yet, there are grocery stores, movie theaters and a big box store. (Pretty sure they have a Home Despot.) There was a full service hospital right down the street. This is a big issue which I don't think many people consider. My parents at first tried to retire to Pahrump, Nevada. While that place had many challenges, the biggest challenge was they had to drive to Las Vegas for absolutely any and all medical appointments, medical tests and medical procedures. They researched Pahrump before they moved and were led to believe there was hospital there. Turned out the hospital was a small clinic where doctors visited only once a month and typically cancelled that visit.

So, anyway, definitely take a look at Russellville. The cost of living is surprisingly low for 21st century USA. There's a very large lake there. Lots of trees and mountains as well. (Well, I'm in Colorado, so the "mountains" area really "hills", but the locals call them mountains.)

It does rain a lot in Arkansas, but if you want lakes, rivers and trees, with that comes rain.

Arkansas has not been on my 'list', as I figured it would be too hot/humid, but I do feel like it's an area of the country I need to check out. Thanks for the info. I have a pin in Russellville now.

Most of East TN within a hours drive of Knoxville is so built out that it isn't very attractive any longer. I moved to the area 15 years ago and essentially every semi remote area has been built up with subdivisions and without any thoughts to increased traffic and utilities. Home prices escalated and the current flavor is massive apartment complexes and lots of strip malls with fast food outlets as far as the eye can see.
Midway between Knoxville and Chattanooga might be better options for a semi-rural lifestyle.
Don't believe the tax propaganda in TN either. Currently the sales tax rate in the metro Knoxville area is 9.75% on essentially everything except food which is about 5% I think. The governor just gave businesses back 2 years of excise taxes so the chances of sales tax relief is remote.
I wouldn't come back here today if faces with a move.

Thank you for that info. TN did feel pretty crowded when we drove through the middle section of the state last year. I was hoping that the Northeast corner was less populated. One thing that I have been aware of, is the high sales taxes in TN. State, County, and City in some areas.... Washington state is simular. Not state income tax, but you get hammered with sales taxes.

Allan Dozier
06-02-2024, 1:08 PM
I'm writing this from our home in Banner Elk, NC, so I'm prejudiced. It depends on which bothers you more: cold weather or hot, muggy weather. I dislike the oppressive heat worse. Boone is small enough to avoid big city hassles but large enough for what I consider essentials. Hope you like the area.

Michael Drew
06-02-2024, 2:42 PM
Banner Elk is probably the town I'm looking forward to seeing the most. Prior to Alaska, we lived in Seeley Lake and Whitefish Montana. I miss those mountain towns and area, but you need to be billionaire almost to buy property there anymore. The area around Ashville kinda reminds me of Montana, minus the development and population.

Jim Becker
06-02-2024, 4:14 PM
The Ashville NC area is really nice; good cultural opportunities with arts and music, and like many small cities, the surrounding areas can be more rural/mountainous for living while still having "quick" access to the big town advantages. I don't plan on moving, but it would be one of those places that I could probably live happily.

Allan Dozier
06-02-2024, 7:26 PM
You are correct Jim and obviously have good tastes! Michael, Asheville is a small city with all the amenities anyone could want (in my opinion). Boone is a decent sized town with most everything I want. Banner Elk is 20 minutes away. Around here elevation matters as to climate. Asheville is around 2200 I think and Boone is around 3200. Banner Elk is probably around 4000. Some would say that Asheville would have a year round climate popular with more people but we like it cool. Our house just over 4900 feet and is close to Beech Mountain which is now the highest elevation incorporated town east of the Rockies.

Dick Strauss
06-14-2024, 12:22 AM
Check out the waterfalls near Brevard in Transylvania County. There are dozens of waterfalls in the area. There's a pond with a bunch of church-camp style buildings on it that I ran across in the area (Living Water Ministry property... no affiliation). I think the pond on their private property (visible from the road) had maybe 6 waterfalls emptying into/out of it.

https://www.nctripping.com/waterfalls-near-brevard-nc/

Michael Drew
06-14-2024, 2:47 PM
Good idea Dick. I will make time for a couple hikes. Last time we were in this part of the country, we hiked a couple trails in the Dupont park. I think that's what it's called anyway? We hiked up to the same waterfalls where "The Last of the Mohican's" was filmed.