PDA

View Full Version : Difference between satin vs gloss finishes

Rob Blaustein
02-08-2006, 2:21 PM
I know what the difference is looks-wise, but I was wondering what the difference was in makeup between the two. I thought I remember reading (maybe about Arm-R-Seal?) that it is preferable to build the finish with coats of glossy and then use a final coat of satin if that look is desired. And when we had our floors finished, it was done that way as well. Does anyone know the reason for that?

Rob Millard
02-08-2006, 2:41 PM
The reason to use gloss to build a finish, is that semi gloss has additives that cloud the finish.
Rob Millard

John Miliunas
02-08-2006, 2:57 PM
If you do a "Google" on: gloss vs. satin poly, look to almost the bottom of the first search page and you'll find a real quick answer. It is regarding the pigment to the binder ratio. (And here I always thought it was strictly related to the solids content!:o ) :) :cool:

Rob Blaustein
02-08-2006, 3:46 PM
If you do a "Google" on: gloss vs. satin poly, look to almost the bottom of the first search page and you'll find a real quick answer. It is regarding the pigment to the binder ratio. (And here I always thought it was strictly related to the solids content!:o ) :) :cool:

Thanks. One of the other links from that google search has lots of useful info on floor finishing: http://www.woodflooringguy.com/

Corey Hallagan
02-08-2006, 7:36 PM
I thought I read somewhere that satin finishes were gloss finishes with glass dust mixed in to cut the gloss down.

Corey

Steve Schoene
02-08-2006, 8:30 PM
Typically a little silica is added. When the finish cures this leaves a slight roughness makes the satin look. The basic varnish is the same, both are equally hard, but the extra roughness may contribute to a small additional tendency for an errant object to scratch instead of just sliding off. No point in having the extra dulling factor in any coat but the top coat. It just adds a bit of "haze".

Mark Singer
02-08-2006, 8:58 PM
One seems shinyer than the other during the day:rolleyes: