PDA

View Full Version : MDF vs. Ply

Keith Barkhau
02-08-2006, 2:12 PM
So what does everyone here use for substrate when veneering panels?

I'm getting ready to do some 1/4" and 3/4" this weekend and in the past I've always used mdf--mostly because its flat, cheap and readily available at the borgs. But its heavy, dusty and when I'm using screws in it (which I try to avoid) I've got to put an order into McFeelys, so I've been wondering if I should be using something else.

I've looked at cabinet grade birch ply, which is about $35/4X8 sheet (3/4") at my local Lowes, and baltic birch ply which seems to be about $30 for a 2X5 sheet, where the mdf is about $20 for 4x8.

Is it worth the extra expense and trouble to switch to the ply, or is there something even better out there I'm missing?

Dennis McDonaugh
02-08-2006, 2:33 PM
Keith, I use baltic birch for larger panels and mdf for smaller sizes, the MDF is just too heavy for larger panels. By smaller, I'm talking about jewely box size and larger is door size.

Frank Pellow
02-08-2006, 2:38 PM
I stopped using MDF a few years ago. I now use plywood only and mostly that plywood is baltic birch.

tod evans
02-08-2006, 2:54 PM
i use both, for cheap customers mdf to save a buck, for my stuff and customers that are willing to pay for a job done right baltic....02 tod

Joseph N. Myers
02-08-2006, 3:36 PM
Keith,

You said, "and when I'm using screws in it (which I try to avoid) I've got to put an order into McFeelys, so I've been wondering if I should be using something else."

Check out McFeely's "cabinet assembly screws" which include confirmat, RTA and JCBW screws. As typical with McFeely's, they have a good writeup on each.

I've used "Tee" nuts and "treaded inserts" especially if it for jigs or things I going to be taking apart frequently. Both can be found under "Threaded Inserts".

Regards, Joe

Chris Barton
02-08-2006, 6:42 PM
I have used both. I think just from the standpoint of the veneer work that MDF is superior, completely smooth, usually very nearly perfectly flat and very cost effective. Ply is better for parts that will hold fasteners but, most of the ply I see is nowhere near truely flat. Sometimes the issue of weight can be a significant factor. If I am being weight conscious then ply it is...

Cecil Arnold
02-08-2006, 9:57 PM
I like MDF for its flatness and that nothing will print through, however if it is a large piece (door) I will go with BB.