PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 45 missing sliding section - Are all sliding sections interchangeable?

Will Mullendore
05-20-2024, 9:19 AM
I bought a Stanley 45 off the auction site without knowing enough about 45’s and I missed the fact that this one was missing the sliding section. I found a replacement, but I was hoping you guys could tell me if the sliding section pictured will fit the 45 I bought.

Rob Luter
05-20-2024, 11:14 AM
It should fit, That part is referred to as the "Skate"

steven c newman
05-20-2024, 12:31 PM
aka...Sliding Stock. Would depend on how old the plane is...those with the arms that screw into the body might be just a tad smaller and have a different, all metal design...Later ones with the arms that slide through the Main Stock...MIGHT be enough different to not quite fit...

Errands to run, today...will dig out both types I have in the shop, and check....will post later..

Jim Koepke
05-20-2024, 1:44 PM
It is possible that it will fit, but it does look like it is from an earlier plane.

Here is an old post on how the part may not align properly. > https://sawmillcreek.org//showthread.php?196347

This was a detail shot, so not sure of the "type dating" of the planes shown. One is likely a pre-type 10, the other is likely a type 11 or later.

The Stanley name is on the skate after that.

It is linked in a post from the Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs archive > https://sawmillcreek.org//showthread.php?103805

jtk

Will Mullendore
05-20-2024, 5:20 PM
I appreciate the info so far. Short of ordering it, is there a good way to determine from photos what kind of skate/sliding section I’m missing? Right now I’ve got a semi-functional plane and I’d like to make it functional without calling this a total loss.

Dave Anderson NH
05-20-2024, 5:38 PM
No Matter what Will, the plane is not a total loss. You might have to search for just the right skate, but the main body is in very, very good shape. Note that there is a lot the plane can do even in the unlikely event you can't find a skate that works.

Will Mullendore
05-20-2024, 6:14 PM
No Matter what Will, the plane is not a total loss. You might have to search for just the right skate, but the main body is in very, very good shape. Note that there is a lot the plane can do even in the unlikely event you can't find a skate that works.

Thanks, Dave! That’s what I wanted to hear. I’m hoping that I can eventually have it 100% complete. I tinkered with it for a while and it’s already much more enjoyable than firing up the electric router.

steven c newman
05-20-2024, 7:56 PM
If you want...contact Eric at nhplanparts and see what he has..

Jim Koepke
05-20-2024, 8:36 PM
I appreciate the info so far. Short of ordering it, is there a good way to determine from photos what kind of skate/sliding section I’m missing? Right now I’ve got a semi-functional plane and I’d like to make it functional without calling this a total loss.

There was a major change to the main section in about 1910 or 11. My best guess is if you buy a sliding section (skate) from a later plane (the ones with STANLEY cast into the bridge) it will line up fine.

There are a few of them on ebay, search > Stanley 45 skate < The cheapest one has the knicker and screw removed. It would be better to pay a little more and get one with the knicker. Also items listed as "Buy It Now" will often come down a few bucks if they also have "Make Offer" options, especially if the listing is old.

jtk

steven c newman
05-20-2024, 10:54 PM
Some of the changes, between a Type 4 and a Type 20..
Locking bolts....
And a lot fancier details on the T-4...slotted Brass bolts..vs..
"Plain Jane" details...otherwise they seem to be about the same..

That Type 4 was nickel Plated by Eric Brown, BTW...may have to send the type 20 ( Roxton Pond, QUE. CAN) down to him...looking a bit scruffy..

Will Mullendore
05-21-2024, 9:03 AM
I ordered the skate in my original post and it will be delivered tomorrow. I’ll report back. If it doesn’t fit, I’m calling NH Plane Parts to see if he can help me out.

Will Mullendore
05-22-2024, 6:24 PM
Well the skate arrived and no such luck. There’s a ~0.050” gap between the faces of the skates.

I guess it’s time to call NH Plane Parts to see if he can help me out. Unless anyone else knows where I can find the skate I’m missing?

steven c newman
05-22-2024, 8:00 PM
Question #1...Does it fit the rods?

Note: even with the sliding stock fully against the Main stock..there WILL be a slight gap where both rest on the wood...due to a tapered edge on both..flat to the outside, and tapered to the inside.

Design was to support cutters down to 1/4" width...anything narrower, you had to remove the Sliding Stock..

Try a 1/4" cutter in it, and see if both edges are supported...

Will Mullendore
05-23-2024, 9:22 AM
While I am using a narrower cutter right now, the issue I see is that the back side of the cutter will not contact the sliding section as it does on the main body. See the area circled in red in the picture attached. Is this an issue or no?

steven c newman
05-23-2024, 12:29 PM
Doubt it..set a 1/4" cutter in the plane and test it out...

Jim Koepke
05-23-2024, 4:04 PM
On larger cutters it will likely cause the blade to flex and chatter.

With a beading cutter it may clog with shavings.

jtk

Tony Zaffuto
05-23-2024, 6:08 PM
As an aside, if looking for parts for the 45, Fine Tool Journal, in its tool sale section, always has spares and partially complete planes for sale. Prices are extremely reasonable.

steven c newman
05-23-2024, 10:46 PM
Ok...decided todo a bit of work with my Type 20 SW Stanley 45...that has that same cutter bed "Defect"
Look familiar?
Had a choice of cutters, tonight.
a 3/16" or a 1/4" cutter...
installed the 1/4" cutter..
Hmmm, no gap behind this cutter?
Cutter is centered between the skates...and away we go...
Grooves in the Ash Drawer fronts needed widened, they were a bit too tight...however, on the Pine Drawer Sides...
Where the groove did not exist, yet..made perfect Pine Noodles...

Methinks this all is like a Shakespeare Play..."Much ado about nothing"

steven c newman
05-26-2024, 9:46 AM
BTW: A Type4 was in use, yesterday..
Set up to make 3/4" wide Dados..
and the Dado?
No issues.

Will Mullendore
05-28-2024, 6:15 PM
Thanks for the pictures, Steve. I had already returned the first skate and the second came in today. It's got the STANLEY name cast into the handle on the skate, but still has the same difference between the two skates. Now that I've seen that yours has the same difference, but clearly doesn't have an issue, I'm going to keep this setup. I just need to find a new spur as this one only has one prong remaining.