PDA

View Full Version : Plans for a Gardening tool?

Frank Stevens
02-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Does anybody know where there is a plan for making the two piece tool that turns newspapers into "pots" for starting your garden seedlings?

Thought my kids would enjoy doing this as part of this years gardening.

The tool looks simple enough I just didn't want to miss a detail that helps form the bottom of the pot.

Here's picture of what one looks like.

Thank you,

Frank Stevens

Bill Stevener
02-08-2006, 4:09 PM
Hi Frank,

One would think the photo you have posted would be all the plans one would need for the project.. Just a mater of size - 2", 4" or a 6" pot. I would think you would wet the paper, before pressing. ????

Never saw any plans for the same, however I can post some plans for a dibble if you wish.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Frank Stevens
02-09-2006, 12:50 AM
Thanks Bill,

Never heard mention of wetting the paper before.

I know it looks simple. I just wasn't sure about the ridges in the bottom piece and how they along with the lip form the bottom of the pot.

As I understand it you wrap newspaper around the top piece leaving an inch or two overhang. Fold over the overhang forming a bottom and jam it the insert while twisting it to make it stay.

Anybody else got any experience with one? Can't see spending $13.00 plus shipping to purchase what looks like any easy spin on the lathe. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Frank Stevens

John Hart
02-10-2006, 8:00 AM
I Spent some time surfing around and there's the PotMaker that everyone seems to rave about. If you do a search on Potmaker, there's lots of instruction how to use it and plenty of pics. Looks like making one would be pretty fun and easy without the plans. Nice project. Sell them for $10 ;)

Bill Stevener
02-11-2006, 11:40 AM
Hi again Frank,

Got into your project some, scratched up a little sketch. Well this is how I see it anyway. This should do it for you and the young-in's.

Now have at it, and we expect to see some of the finished product when completed, full action shots also---:D

Hope this helps some,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Bill Stevener
02-11-2006, 11:58 AM
This is a Dibble, kids might like one of these also. I have turned a bunch of them. Great for a learning project and all the neighbors that garden, love them.

Get dirty,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Frank Stevens
02-12-2006, 2:29 AM
Thanks Everyone!

I think I've got it now. Will post back when I get a chance to try making one.

Frank Stevens