PDA

View Full Version : Another Scam

Patty Hann
05-16-2024, 6:06 PM
Just received an email from Elvie Klocko.
Friend Elvie is kindly letting me know that he(?) she(?) it(?) is charging my PayPal account for $369.20 for a BitCoin purchase.
This an additional purchase, not to be confused with the one (also "PayPal") that someone else sent me (can't recall the sender's name..maybe it Elmer Watcho) a few days ago for a BTC purchase of $927.48

Pic is the "Klocko" notice.
Just letting folks know, be aware.
*sigh* ...No rest for the weary.. or the honest.
I think everyone on the forum is already pretty savvy about these things, so this is more for someone you know who says "My aunt/grandmother/whomever just a got a notice from PayPal....what should she do?"

Jim Koepke
05-16-2024, 6:52 PM
To me the real tip off is the purchase price of $369.20 plus a transaction fee of $30 only adding up to $389.20.

Good thing scammers aren't smart enough to get the math right. :D

jtk

Patty Hann
05-16-2024, 7:19 PM
To me the real tip off is the purchase price of $369.20 plus a transaction fee of $30 only adding up to $389.20.

Good thing scammers aren't smart enough to get the math right. :D

jtk

But the sad thing is that some folks who get these things don't see that math error because so many people can't do simple arithmetic in their heads.

Jim Becker
05-16-2024, 7:22 PM
But the sad thing is that some folks who get these things don't see that math error because so many people can't do simple arithmetic in their heads.
The sad thing is actually that some folks would pay the invoice...

Michael Schuch
05-16-2024, 7:27 PM
I received two of these for seven hundred something dollars. The displayed email address looks like a real PayPal address but if you look at the actual sending email address it is obviously a scam email address. ALWAYS look at the actual originating email address!

I reported the emails as phishing/scam emails so I no longer have the details of the emails.

Bruce Wrenn
05-16-2024, 8:32 PM
Got one once for a large purchase on my Amazon card. Only one problem, I didn't have an Amazon card.

Patty Hann
05-16-2024, 9:10 PM
Got one once for a large purchase on my Amazon card. Only one problem, I didn't have an Amazon card.

I would get phone calls telling me that my Amazon purchase (always between $700-$999) needs more info.

Lee Schierer
05-16-2024, 9:15 PM
I had the same BTC purchase email. I marked it as spam and blocked all future emails from that domain

Patty Hann
05-16-2024, 9:40 PM
Read about another scam... a local one (for me).
Problem is AZ has no Toll Roads. Not one.

Jim Koepke
05-17-2024, 1:05 AM
Some of these phishing emails have come my way in the past. Not as much since reporting them to the fraud units of the supposed senders.

Paypal even stopped sending emails about their credit card since everyone of them was sent back as a suspected fraud.

Yesterday a call came in asking if my new Medicare ID had arrived. I told them, "yes it has and it looks great," then hung up.

jtk

Bill George
05-17-2024, 9:42 AM
One the other day from eBay, saying I still owed money for shipping I ordered and I must log in and pay USPS more money. Funny I have not ordered anything sent via USPS!!!

Jim Koepke
05-17-2024, 12:07 PM
One the other day from eBay, saying I still owed money for shipping I ordered and I must log in and pay USPS more money. Funny I have not ordered anything sent via USPS!!!

These will sometimes get me to check through different means, just to make sure nothing has been hacked. Never use any links provided in the email.

jtk

Michael Schuch
05-17-2024, 4:47 PM
I would get phone calls telling me that my Amazon purchase (always between $700-$999) needs more info.

Was it something like "I am calling to confirm your purchase of an Apple IPad from Amazon for $799?"
My reply to the obvious scam attempt was "Yep, I purchased it!"
Caller: "Huh? What?"

Curt Harms
05-17-2024, 5:23 PM
This is somewhat timely. I got a call on my cell from a 410 area code. I answered which I usually don't do. Someone with a very heavy access claimed to be calling from Chase. I didn't say anything, just pushed the 'end call' button. If they want me they know my mailing address.

Thomas McCurnin
05-17-2024, 6:47 PM
I like to call the number and get the scammer on the phone. Which credit card is it? Visa, he says. Great, I have three Visa cards, which is it? Last four digits please. We go round and round for a few minutes, then he hangs up.