PDA

View Full Version : How do you cut wood without the burn marks?

Harry Radaza
02-08-2006, 4:49 AM
Currently got a job to cut dog silhouttes out of 4mm thick wood sheets which the customer supplied. Their current sample (cut by another laser engraver) showed the cuts without burns.

They want it the same way. Currently all my settings come out with burns (dark all around) when I cut. is this possible?

Joe Pelonio
02-08-2006, 7:53 AM
It depends on the kind of wood, some will scorch no matter what you do. With 45 Watts I can cut 4mm basswood or Baltic Birch with no scorching,
but not oak. Also, you can use a spindle sander to clean them up, which may be what the previous person did.

Tom Cole
02-08-2006, 12:42 PM
You may be able to minimize burning by adjusting the pulses per inch to a lower figure. For instance 1/4 inch poplar at 500 PPI on my machine has black edges. the same piece cut at 150PPI is a very nice light brown.

Kevin Huffman
02-08-2006, 3:35 PM
Tom is reading from the same book I am, JK.
I would say lower your PPI or Pulses per inch. This will make the laser pulse less as it goes around and cut the wood. It will also burn the wood less.

Also you might try speeding it until it doesn't cut anymore. If you are using 2.0% speed, try 2.2 then 2.4 and 2.6, until it doesn't cut. Then move it back down one or two slots. That is going to be your optimal speed.
Once you get your speed right, you can adjust your power (it is usually the smaller change of the two). If you are running 100% power and have your speed perfect, move your power to 98%, then 96%, until it doesn't cut anymore. Then you can go back one or two and that is your good power setting.

Usually you can get rid of all of the burning just by getting the perfect power/speed settings then makeing some adjustments to your PPI setting.