PDA

View Full Version : Big chisel contest

Cameron Wood
05-14-2024, 11:11 PM
My entry:

11 1/2" long, 1 7/8" wide, just under 15 oz.

Richard Coers
05-15-2024, 12:00 AM
16 1/8" long with no handle, 3 3/8" wide, and weighs 4.0 pounds

Jim Koepke
05-15-2024, 2:29 AM
Not sure how long this one is overall.

My recollection is the hunk of wood is 10" wide. The chisel is a 2" Stanley. The handle was made from a table or chair leg years before my acquisition of a lathe.

jtk

steven c newman
05-15-2024, 9:47 AM
Thinking the term does or does not include slicks?
And maybe not from the realm of Timber Framers?

Shorty is 11" long..and a mere 1-1/2" wide...
Big Brother..is 15" long, and an even 2" wide

others in the shop?
1" gouge, 3/8" Timber Framer Chisel...7/8" Corner chisel...

Mel Fulks
05-15-2024, 10:36 AM
I think the “slicks” are 3 inches wide or more.

Edward Weber
05-15-2024, 11:11 AM

In my research on them, it mainly depends on the manufacturer, some are anything over 2".

Here are a few of mine, mostly 2" ones, 1" corner, the one in front is 1.25"

Richard Coers
05-15-2024, 11:28 AM
I knew there would be a "slick" discussion, but the rules of the contest were quite nondescript. LOL

Carpenter’s Slick (https://shilohmuseum.org/carpenter-slick/)

A carpenter’s slick is a type of chisel used with two hands to pare long surfaces of wood following the grain.
https://shilohmuseum.org/?s=wood+slick

Cameron Wood
05-15-2024, 12:16 PM
A slick is by definition a "big chisel" so included, but I think we are talking about woodworking so not stone chisels, cold chisels, air tool steel, etc..

Richard's 4 lb in the lead, but maybe refine to sharp, working condition...

Jim Koepke
05-15-2024, 2:21 PM
Mine is actually a Stanley 2" (most likely 700 series) chisel. Found another image.

As mentioned earlier the handle is not the original. The original was one of the red shellac handles common on some Stanley chisels. The handle on this chisel was made from a salvaged furniture leg.

The metal of the chisel is about 9" long.

jtk

stephen thomas
05-15-2024, 3:09 PM
A slick has rocker.
Backside is not dead flat, as a chisel's should be.
Even though the socket is essentially inline with the blade as a chisel's would be, it should be possible to pare with good control, flat side down, even when your knuckles are over the flat surface being pared/planed/slicked. :)
(IOW, Ignoring cranked paring chisels)

smt

Tom M King
05-15-2024, 4:36 PM
Slicks and could be argued if chisels or not, but not the biggest anyway. This is a bit of an unusual use and used cross grain. In fixing up this old dock, at this step the new deck had been put on aligned to strings pulled tight. The old bands were plenty good enough to leave for this purpose but not the finished look we wanted because they were so wavy and crooked. They were straightened by kerfing with a chainsaw just eyeballing the kerfs to the new deck edge, and clearing out the noggles with the slicks. There were a couple of timber framing chisels out there too somewhere in that picture that were used with the mallets. The slicks were to finish. One is a razor sharp Japanese one and the other rougher work one a USA one. That gave me a flat, straight surface to mount the new bands on. The slicks are laying out with the big mallet in the farthest pile.

I mostly use the 2" slicks and only very rarely use the 3-1/2" one.

I use them often cross grain, sometimes pushing with my hip and in this case fist against chest, using body weight.

Edited to add just about the dock-made it handicap accessible with its own parking spot too. Grass growing there now-that was the day I made the grading change.

Patrick C Daugherty
05-16-2024, 9:31 AM
Not the biggest, but the biggest I have. A 2" Buck Bros paring chisel and 3/8, 1/2, 5/8 framing chisels. The 1/2 is a Douglass and the other two are Crossman. The Buck, when I got it still had the original 20 degree grind on the bevel. Like a lot of old Bucks, it had two big chips on the edge. When I cleaned up the chips, I reground the bevel to 25 degrees. Hopefully the edge will hold up better.519856

Justin Kwong
05-16-2024, 10:42 AM
Nice looking tataki nomi. Who is the maker? Pic of the stamp?!

Cameron Wood
05-17-2024, 12:33 PM
Nice looking tataki nomi. Who is the maker? Pic of the stamp?!

This was part of a mixed lot of tools that I got recently. There appears to be a fracture in the cutting edge, which hasn't affected the light use it's gotten so far.

Justin Kwong
05-17-2024, 3:42 PM
Wonderful. I can't make out who the maker is but the sign above it signifies that the smith was apart of the Tokyo Chisel Group. It's likely white #1 steel and very hard. Very nice chisel - I'm jealous!

Zach Dillinger
05-20-2024, 2:02 PM
Take your pick....

stephen thomas
05-21-2024, 1:01 PM
Take your pick....

I'll bite.
What are they for?

"Some" of mine.

Various states of use, and dis-use over the decades.
2nd up, bottom right was near new, and aprox 4" longer when acquired in the mid 70's
Rehardened it twice. For water hardening steel, it is difficult (or perhaps i should say impractical) to fully harden more than about 2" at a time. So as it gets used up, this type of laminated steel will need annealing, re-hardening, and light tempering.

Cameron Wood
05-21-2024, 2:20 PM
Wonderful. I can't make out who the maker is but the sign above it signifies that the smith was apart of the Tokyo Chisel Group. It's likely white #1 steel and very hard. Very nice chisel - I'm jealous!

Thanks for the info. I did not know that there was a Tokyo Chisel Group.

Tom Bender
05-28-2024, 6:39 AM
Bought this 3" slick for a timber framing project. It's been sorta useful a couple of times. It's 32" long. Came with a pitiful handle so I made this one.

Zach Dillinger
05-28-2024, 8:42 AM
[/COLOR]

I'll bite.
What are they for?

The top is a bisaigue, a French carpenter's timber framing tool. It has two chisels on it for double the fun/double the chance of drawing blood. The second one is a standard timber framing chisel, the largest one I have. The third tool is a French "chisel axe", but it isn't used as an axe at all, just a large chisel/semi plane.

Cameron Wood
05-28-2024, 12:13 PM
The top is a bisaigue, a French carpenter's timber framing tool. It has two chisels on it for double the fun/double the chance of drawing blood. The second one is a standard timber framing chisel, the largest one I have. The third tool is a French "chisel axe", but it isn't used as an axe at all, just a large chisel/semi plane.

I've seen sidewall shinglers use a 'chisel axe' by welding a plane iron to back of their shingle hatchet, & use it to shave the corners, & trim shingles.

stephen thomas
05-28-2024, 1:18 PM

I've got (& used and used up) lots of framing chisels over the past 50 years.
Never saw the other 2, and even have a copy of Roubo. (Maybe time to look more carefully.)

Is the idea to beat on #3 with a beatle/hammer/ etc, or is it just shoved like a slick?

Zach Dillinger
05-28-2024, 2:20 PM
Is the idea to beat on #3 with a beatle/hammer/ etc, or is it just shoved like a slick?[/COLOR]

Pushed like a slick, never struck with a mallet etc.

Warren Mickley
05-28-2024, 3:43 PM
I've got (& used and used up) lots of framing chisels over the past 50 years.
Never saw the other 2, and even have a copy of Roubo. (Maybe time to look more carefully.)

Is the idea to beat on #3 with a beatle/hammer/ etc, or is it just shoved like a slick?[/COLOR]

The bisaigue is illustrated in Diderot (1755) under Carpentry tools. There is a man using one in a building scene.

It is not shown in Roubo, which does not concern carpentry.

Jim Koepke
05-28-2024, 4:24 PM

It looks like the worker cutting the mortises is packing quite a wallop on that chisel. :eek:

jtk

stephen thomas
05-28-2024, 11:59 PM
Thanks, guys!
Diderot is on the shelf here, too.

The bisaigue is illustrated in Diderot (1755) under Carpentry tools. There is a man using one in a building scene.

It is not shown in Roubo, which does not concern carpentry.

Warren -
Roubo's tome, "L'arte du Menuisier" translates to "the art (or craft) of the carpenter".

Menuisier is French for carpenter, you have to use context to determine what sort of carpenter, whether framing (charpentier) or joiner.
But it is a catch-all term not unlike in the US except that a wider range of better skills is assumed.

Most of Roubo is what would now be called millwork including the installation of same.
The province of joiners, but also carpenters
My trade. There is a lot of overlap with carpentry, and some in Roubo is titled as such.
E.g.: "Construction des planchers, des stalles, et la maniere de faire la charpente, quilles portent"

Besides all the carpentry for supporting and making large cased windows, doors, floors in those days, choir seating, etc, there is also a section on outdoor woodwork constructions for gardens that are essentially carpentry.
(I made a lot of that stuff, too)

There is a little bit about furniture, which is usually made in different sorts of work places, by ebenistes.
As well as some carriage making.

smt

Warren Mickley
05-29-2024, 5:42 PM
Thanks, guys!
Diderot is on the shelf here, too.

[/I]

Warren -
Roubo's tome, "L'arte du Menuisier" translates to "the art (or craft) of the carpenter".

Menuisier is French for carpenter, you have to use context to determine what sort of carpenter, whether framing (charpentier) or joiner.
But it is a catch-all term not unlike in the US except that a wider range of better skills is assumed.

Most of Roubo is what would now be called millwork including the installation of same.
The province of joiners, but also carpenters
My trade. There is a lot of overlap with carpentry, and some in Roubo is titled as such.
E.g.: "Construction des planchers, des stalles, et la maniere de faire la charpente, quilles portent"

Besides all the carpentry for supporting and making large cased windows, doors, floors in those days, choir seating, etc, there is also a section on outdoor woodwork constructions for gardens that are essentially carpentry.
(I made a lot of that stuff, too)

There is a little bit about furniture, which is usually made in different sorts of work places, by ebenistes.
As well as some carriage making.

smt

You can translate menuisier as carpenter if you want, but that is not the way it would have been translated in the 18th century. Carpenters were called charpentiers and they built buildings not windows. They were the ones using a bisaigue. I suspect you didn't find a bisaigue in Roubo.

Words change over the centuries this is one word that now has a wider meaning. Another example of this is jumelles, part of a lathe in the 18th century. Try looking it up on Google Translate today.

steven c newman
05-29-2024, 7:57 PM
Which would the same French Journeyman ( and women) who are repairing the Cathedral of Notre Dame.....

stephen thomas
05-29-2024, 10:17 PM
You can translate menuisier as carpenter if you want, but that is not the way it would have been translated in the 18th century. Carpenters were called charpentiers and they built buildings not windows. They were the ones using a bisaigue.

Quite a bit of Roubo is carpentry. The parts about windows are the supporting structures, as with how to lay out the wooden grounds (in masonry) or joists for parquet floors. I would be intrigued to understand more about the trades in France at that time. My sense is that they were fairly fluid. There were masters, and then anyone who could do the work was pressed into service, it seems. But i don't have a lot to read deeply in.

I suspect you didn't find a bisaigue in Roubo.
It still surprises me - I mean the guy shows pit sawyers, veneer sawyers, and other tradesmen that were dead hard work, but not particularly skilled.
Roubo had catholic tastes and something of a pragmatic outlook, at least as evidenced by his work.
Basically, "anything woodwork" interested him though he seems to have been more fascinated with how it applied to buildings ("millwork", today) and wooden machines and vehicles.
His plates on building a pool table are an interesting historical resource for cues (primarily maces in those days, but you can begin to see a transition) that i had overlooked.
etc.

I got a better sense of how the bisaigue was used from these photos posed on the site "A Woodworker's Musings" by DB Laney.
According to the contemporary article, Juliette was apparently the only female carpenter in France, ca 1900.
I'd have had plenty of applications to use it while installing millwork, if i had known such existed. :)