PDA

View Full Version : cutting thin steel with a 300 watt laser

stan kern
05-14-2024, 7:35 PM
experimenting a bit used 55psi air vs O2 to assist in cutting thin metals (1.20 mm)

https://youtu.be/k1xVzyEyc70
turned out ok and lightburn worked well , I can now make my own blanks for the fiber laser

Keith Outten
05-15-2024, 10:46 AM
Impressive, I would love to be able to lase cut metal.

stan kern
05-15-2024, 12:10 PM
At first I was turned off because of the gas assist cost and how quickly is goes, so it adds to the cost
But thin stainless 1.20 mm can be cut with 60 psi air and air does not cost so that excited me
But it does cut better with O2 if you use thicker material like thicker stainless
Its very interesting and I got back to it because of the fiber laser, so i now make my own blanks
and it might be cost effective
But it does not take the place of plasma , but might on very small items ...jewelry coins etc it does
a more detailed job , in fact the fiber laser does very detailed work
Anyhow its something new to learn and master and then use as tool

Keith Outten
05-16-2024, 2:11 PM
What kinds of blanks are you making?

stan kern
05-16-2024, 7:08 PM
Blanks
I have been buying laser engrave blanks from amazon but now that the 300 watt laser is cutting metal really good
I will be cutting my own and i have so far some stainless and some just carbon steel and i was quite surprised what these
look like when sanded up (320 grit sandpaper)
Just the ordinary steel 2 inch blanks look great
attached are photos of just carbon steel sanded (280-320 grit) and engraved you cannot beat just plain steel ---its amazing