PDA

View Full Version : Routing a Picture frame profile

Patty Hann
05-10-2024, 1:51 PM
Making a small picture frame from walnut, square with mitered corners.
Should I assemble the frame and then route the profile or route the piece of walnut first, (profile and rabbet), then cut /miter it to length and assemble it?
I've watched people do it both ways.

Darrell Bade
05-10-2024, 2:07 PM
I would say first, I cut the rabbit for the picture and glass and route the edge at the same time. I used to make so many frames I would do a run with all the sawing and routing and then keep it on the shelf and cut to size as needed. Worked fine, as would the other way.

John TenEyck
05-10-2024, 2:23 PM
Route the stock first. If you make the frame first, there's a really good chance you'll blow out the end of one of the tips of the miters at the corners, and then all your hard work is for naught.

John

Patty Hann
05-10-2024, 2:33 PM
Roger dodger... Route first, then cut.
Thank you, Darrell and John.

Michael Burnside
05-10-2024, 3:10 PM
I usually do rebate, sand, route, miter, assembly. IMHO people forget the sanding part often and a lot of built frames look amateurish when assembled. Personally I prefer routing last as I can do my final sanding/refinement when assembled and I feel it looks the cleanest, but you do need to be careful of the type of wood you're using and protect against cross-grain tearout. Not difficult to do, but John makes a good point. Don't use cheap or dull router bits!

Patty Hann
05-10-2024, 5:48 PM
I usually do rebate, sand, route, miter, assembly. IMHO people forget the sanding part often and a lot of built frames look amateurish when assembled. Personally I prefer routing last as I can do my final sanding/refinement when assembled and I feel it looks the cleanest, but you do need to be careful of the type of wood you're using and protect against cross-grain tearout. Not difficult to do, but John makes a good point. Don't use cheap or dull router bits!

I don't do cheap bits... 99% are Whiteside with a few Freuds thrown in for color :D.
But some could use sharpening....will have to get on that.

Warren Lake
05-10-2024, 5:58 PM
I don't get blow out as I climb cut but its hand held so you have control, your thing doesnt lend itself to that sure you are using a router table. Shaper high speed steel or insert head has an advantage over a small radius router bit with carbide that is not as sharp as insert or HHS. Do your sanding last after all machining is done.

Cameron Wood
05-11-2024, 4:35 PM
If you assemble the frame first, any inside profile will be rounded at the corners- a lesser look by most standards.