PDA

View Full Version : Other than the lathe...

Ned Bulken
02-08-2006, 12:23 AM
(aiming at a Jet mini) And turning tools...(already have a set to learn on)

Here's what I have gleaned for my 'new shop wish list' in no particular order, just as I think of them now:
Face Shield
Bench Grinder, model TBD (suggestions? budget of about $100 for this alone)
Chuck
mandrel kit for turning pens
Bandsaw (G0555 will be on the short list, til then I can use John's craftsman for bowl blanks)

what else will I need? :confused:

John Hart
02-08-2006, 7:32 AM
Way to Go Ned! Yer on yer way. Ya might want to take a look at this thread. Lots of suggestions for stuff to drain your account. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26539

Ned Bulken
02-08-2006, 7:54 AM
thanks John! I had missed that one! Looks like we'll be setting up the old craftsman at my partner John's and my current shop. My Mini will wind up in the new shop in a few months. I'm more concerned with gearing up for that shop than my current one.

John Hart
02-08-2006, 7:58 AM
....I'm more concerned with gearing up for that shop than my current one.

I'm in touch with that sentiment for sure. I spend a lot of time thinking about my new shop....meanwhile, my existing shop is going to the dogs!!:eek:

Ned Bulken
02-08-2006, 11:45 AM
I hear those same barkers all the time.
My tool budget just got zeroed out by the LOML's car... she's going on a big trip first thing tomorrow morning, and we had it serviced twice... once yesterday for a LOF, and a CV joint repair, then again this morning when it was hesitating in the worst way, took it to the Stealership for new plugs, wires and a hinky O2 sensor. $700 bucks later :eek: (combined two shop bills):mad: she has a safe vehicle to drive to Chicago and see our son graduate from Navy Boot camp :rolleyes:

Tools? what tools? :eek:

Rich Stewart
02-08-2006, 12:07 PM
Thats what credit cards are for. Buy now, pay later. After you are making gallery quality pieces and you are rich and famous you pay them back. Thats my plan anyway.

Ned Bulken
02-09-2006, 10:07 AM
Thats what credit cards are for. Buy now, pay later. After you are making gallery quality pieces and you are rich and famous you pay them back. Thats my plan anyway.
there's a plan for ya...

the MIL just woke me up, looking for food. (I work nights). Guess I'm not due for a nap, think I'll go make some sawdust, I have a bunch of cherry to plane up for a settle I'm making, and a bench to unearth. wish me luck!

PS,
I'm credit card free. I got into a bunch of debt awhile back, and while I'm mostly dug out from that, I'm working hard at being strictly cash basis.

Glenn Clabo
02-09-2006, 10:26 AM
she has a safe vehicle to drive to Chicago and see our son graduate from Navy Boot camp :rolleyes:

GO NAVY!!!!

Daniel Heine
02-09-2006, 10:48 AM
Hello Ned,

My siggestion for a grinder would be a for a slow speed. Most of the grinders out there run at 3450 RPM's. At this peed grinding will overheat your tools, and ruin them. I usggest a maximum of 1725 RPM. Also, I have a Delat shapening center that I love. I grind my tools on the flat water stone, so I get no shallow grind - stronger edge - and no danger of overheating with the water coolant. That said, I rarely grind my tools. Once they are ground to the bevel properly, it is only a matter of keepng them honed. I use a system sold by Larry "BigDog" Yudis at "The Woodcraft Shop" http://thewoodcraftshop.com/ No relation to Woodcraft corporation. Larry sells a kit with one hard paper wheel, and one soft floppy wheel. You apply chromium oxide to the paper wheel, and run your tools on this wheel until you see the green melting over the top, then wipe it off, apply the floppy wheel compound to the floppy wheel, and take your gouge to the floppy wheel, bot inside and out. When I'm done, I can take out a nice slice of wood by pushing my trning tool through a piece of wood like a carving gouge. It's cheap, and it works very well. Larry is also an outstanding person.

Andy Hoyt
02-09-2006, 1:51 PM
GO NAVY!!!!

And Beat Army!

John Hart
02-09-2006, 2:16 PM
And Beat Army!

Yeah!!!:mad: :p :D