PDA

View Full Version : Spectacular Tall Case Clock

Mark Rainey
05-08-2024, 5:40 PM
Check out fellow creeker Robert Laplaca's tall case clock in the June issue of Fine Woodworking. It is stunning!

Robert LaPlaca
05-10-2024, 9:20 AM
Thank you for noticing and your kind words.. I have added a few pictures for members who don't subscribe to FWW.

Kevin Jenness
05-10-2024, 10:07 AM
Very fine work, Robert! Is that a reproduction or your own design?

Robert LaPlaca
05-10-2024, 10:18 AM
Thank you Kevin, should have added more details..

This is a reproduction of a tall case clock built by John Townsend in 1789, the original clock resides in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. This is one of the very few tall case clocks actually signed by John Townsend. Evidently, John Townsend only signed and dated his finest work. The clock is constructed from South American Mahogany, the secondary wood is Tulip Poplar. The 18th century movement was built by David Lindow, engraving of the brass dial was done by Valdemar Skov.

Tony Shea
05-10-2024, 10:40 AM
Amazing work! Well deserved to be in Fine Woodworking. Not my style of furniture but appreciate the incredible attention to detail. Having a David Lindow movement is also amazing in of itself. His instagram is one of my favorite people I follow. Thank you for posting this on Sawmillcreek!

Mark Hennebury
05-10-2024, 11:12 AM
Beautiful work!

Tom M King
05-10-2024, 5:22 PM
Gorgeous!!!

Mel Fulks
05-10-2024, 6:00 PM
Beautiful work , and a Clock is a wonderful companion. I bought an old one many years ago . Haven’t had it running for quite a while
because it needs cleaning and oiling . Did it twice myself , but I’m getting old. I will use Robert’s great clock to remember what fine
companions tall case clocks are and push to get it running . The song “My Grandfather’s Clock” is what made me want one. I think
every child should learn it as their first great bitter- sweet song .

Jim Koepke
05-10-2024, 6:26 PM
Beautiful work.

jtk

Patrick McCarthy
05-10-2024, 7:03 PM
Robert is the real deal, and a little too modest. He has been in FWW several times before, and is in SAPFM.. His profile has a link to his webpage, which has several BEAUTIFUL pieces.

Robert, nicely done, as always.

Best, Patrick

William Fretwell
05-11-2024, 10:54 AM
Lovely to see something created like that. Reminds me of the ticking of my wealthy uncles grandfather clock in the main hallway of his mansion when I was about 9yrs old.

Ben Ellenberger
05-11-2024, 11:47 AM
Thanks for sharing! That is really nice, and I don’t want to guess at how many hours you put into it.

I went to Williamsburg Virginia last month and visited the museum there. It had a great collection of clocks that showed changes in styles over time. I’d recommend a visit if you ever find yourself in the area.