PDA

View Full Version : Source for Cuban Mahogany (Swietenia mahagoni)

John Schroeder
05-03-2024, 10:49 AM
I am finally getting ready to start a long delayed dresser project. I'd stashed away a bunch of cuban mahogany, and planned to acquire any additional needed from a source in Ithaca, NY that IIRC imported plantation grown logs of Swietenia mahagoni. Unfortunately they appear to have gone under. Any other ideas for sources? I get that this may not be possible/available, but thought I'd ask. Love some book-matched flame for the doors as long as I'm looking for unicorns :)

Separately, if anyone has a good source for exotic hardwood in the Albany, NY area (with an hour or three) I'd appreciate that as well.

Richard Coers
05-03-2024, 11:15 AM
I suggest you stretch what you have. Make some shop made veneer and you can have all the book matched you want.

Tom M King
05-03-2024, 11:21 AM
Some of that plantation Mahogany, that goes by many names, moves more than any wood I've ever seen. I would stay away from it.

Edward Weber
05-03-2024, 11:31 AM
I have to agree with Richard.
As mentioned at the wood Database, Cuban Mahogany is in CITES Appendix II, and is on the IUCN Red List
https://www.iucnredlist.org/species/32519/68104916

Kendall Scheier
05-03-2024, 12:40 PM
If you look in Florida there are some outfits that sell Cuban mahogany that grows locally there (same genus/species) but you avoid the cites issue cuz it’s technically domestic.

Dave Sabo
05-07-2024, 10:57 PM
True “Cuban Mahogany” has been illegal to import into the USA for more than 50 years. Long before the CITES list was even a thing.

Those places Kendall mentioned typically sell wood from trees toppled during a storm.

Mel Fulks
05-07-2024, 11:19 PM
I recently saw a vender on line selling small pieces at high prices. Google it. GOOD macrophyla mahogany is still great stuff, I would use that. A good horse is better than a newly painted rocking horse !

Edward Weber
05-08-2024, 11:31 AM
Like many banned species, it does come up from time to time.
Often a business has failed with old inventory or a large stash in a forgotten warehouse is found.
I have gotten Brazilian Rosewood this way, small pieces to be sure but it's the good stuff.

Tom M King
05-08-2024, 2:52 PM
You could always buy an old Steinway piano and repurpose the wood. We have a 1932 and even the legs are solid Cuban Mahogany.

Ernie Hobbs
05-08-2024, 6:32 PM
here's a place that might have what you are looking for. Google Maps says it is just under 4 hours to Albany. I have not used them, but several of my family have and swear by the selection for when you need the perfect piece of wood for a special project: https://irionlumber.com/

Mel Fulks
05-08-2024, 10:52 PM
I’m sure they have some good stock, but I don’t like the “genuine” mahogany ‘info , It’s all genuine, let’s hear more about what they
have for sale . Has anyone here ever heard macrofyla mahogany called fake mahogany ?

Jim Becker
05-09-2024, 9:10 AM
I’m sure they have some good stock, but I don’t like the “genuine” mahogany ‘info , It’s all genuine, let’s hear more about what they
have for sale . Has anyone here ever heard macrofyla mahogany called fake mahogany ?
Mel, the term "genuine" mahogany is generally used to denote actual mahogany species that grow in Latin America, etc., to differentiate from "African Mahogany" which is something completely different. It's not a play on words. Irion is one of the more respected wood suppliers in the US, especially for wide material.