PDA

View Full Version : Well.... if that don't beat all!

Bob Noles
02-07-2006, 8:27 PM
LOML has been after me for the last 2 evenings to turn a pen for her to give as a birthday present to her best cyberfriend in Kansas.

I had laid aside a really nice looking cocobolo blank (thanks John Hart) that I had earmarked for this project. Went to the shop last night and cut the blank to size, drilled and gluded the tubes in place. Returned to the shop this evening to square the ends and mount everything on the mandrel and lathe. Got some music playing and lathe spinning. Grabbed my big ole roughing gouge and started making square things round.... the shavings and chips were flowing nicely.

After several minutes of this process and enjoying myself to the fullest, I realized the blank was completely sized to perfection and the finish was smooth and burnished nicely by the bevel. The odd part is that I never changed tools... I used only the roughing gouge. This was the most relaxed session I have had at the lathe and my body language was well in tune with the what was going on.

By golly... I think some of this is starting to come together for me. Now... what is it I need all those other tools for again? :D

Hey Tyler..... Pictures will follow tomorrow.... the finish is drying tonight and I did not want to mess with the mandrel so don't get your thong in a wad :D :p

Ken Fitzgerald
02-07-2006, 8:35 PM
OhOh!..............You reached the bottom of the black hole vortex and are "in the zone!"

Bill Stevener
02-07-2006, 8:45 PM
Hay Bob, never mind Tyler. I had to read all that and no photos!!!

But it's nice to see that you are one with the tool. Amazing when it all clicks.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-07-2006, 8:57 PM
Great post Bob. When I took a lesson at Woodcraft, Roger Buss gave me a 1-1/2" roughing gouge and a 3/4" square blank. Before the evening was over, I knew why he did it. You don't need twenty tools to turn pens and you can turn small things with big tools. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Bruce

Bernie Weishapl
02-07-2006, 9:01 PM
Hey Bob that is great. Doesn't it feel good when a plan comes together. Can't wait to see it.

Mike Ramsey
02-07-2006, 9:42 PM
This was the most relaxed session I have had at the lathe and my body language was well in tune with the what was going on.

By golly... I think some of this is starting to come together for me. Now... what is it I need all those other tools for again? :D :p

So you are saying that you have become "One With Your Tool"

Andy Hoyt
02-07-2006, 9:43 PM
Bob - Congrats on the "in the groove moment". May there be many more to come.

But the highlight of the post is:

Hey Tyler........ don't get your thong in a wad

Jim Becker
02-07-2006, 9:51 PM
On the rare occasion I turn a pen, I also use the roughing gouge for most, if not all of the work. I do make a swipe with a shearing cut with the Ellsworth gouge to smooth-er-out.... ;) Big tools for little things occasionally do work!

Corey Hallagan
02-07-2006, 9:54 PM
You hit the sweet spot Bob! Congrats, can't wait to see the pen!

Corey

Keith Christopher
02-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Ahh the joy of the sweet spot. Wait until you find it with a skew chisel, I remember that feeling. I rarely use any other turning tool now.

Steve Clardy
02-08-2006, 11:16 AM
Bob - Congrats on the "in the groove moment". May there be many more to come.

But the highlight of the post is:

:eek: :eek: :eek: Yea. Forget the pen:eek: :D :D :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.:rolleyes: ;) :D

Mike Burkeen
02-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Are you supposed to use more than a roughing gouge on a pen?

Rich Stewart
02-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Ain't that the greatest thing Bob? Couple weeks ago I spent 6 hours in the shop. Felt like 5 minutes.