PDA

View Full Version : A New House-Update #17 Long-With Pix

Karl Laustrup
02-07-2006, 8:22 PM
February 6 & 7, 2006

It's winter in Wisconsin. Man we turned cold over the weekend and it's still that way. At least it's been sunny.

Yesterday [Monday] and today [Tuesday] were spent finishing up the interior walls and most of the sheathing on the exterior.

I did have the guys move the two windows before they started sheathing. It looks a little weird, at least to me, on the outside but now there is an extra wall for beds or dressers in each bedroom. Pictures will be coming of the change after they cut out the window openings.

Everything is going pretty smooth. Tomorrow is finish up the sheathing and then the roof trusses. That'll close things in a bit.

I finally got power back to the garage/shop yesterday. :) Oh happy day. I actually started working on that big box today. Whew! It's going to be fun. I can also use my little 40,000 BTU torpedo heater to warm up the garage a bit. The guys took their break and lunch in there today, rather than in their trucks with the engine running.

Windows are supposed to be here next Tuesday and the HVAC guys are scheduled for their rough in next Wednesday. I'm guessing the plumber can't be far behind. I'm guessing that I'll have a sealed house by the end of next week. Not bad, seeing as that will be 5 weeks since the back hoe took the first bite.

More to come. Thanks for looking.

Karl

Karl Laustrup
02-07-2006, 8:29 PM
Well, let's try this picture thing again.

Karl

Matt Meiser
02-07-2006, 8:44 PM
Starting to look like a house. But whatever that white stuff is they spilled all over the yard--I'd make them clean it up!

Ernie Nyvall
02-07-2006, 9:26 PM
Lookin good Karl.

Ernie

Jim Becker
02-07-2006, 10:03 PM
You know...it was hard to really understand the scale of the thing until you got that sheathing plastered on the walls. Very nice place that is going to be!

Jim O'Dell
02-07-2006, 10:25 PM
Can you walk around inside now and really start to get a feel of how it is going to work? Looking good. It's amazing what can be done in a short time! Jim.

John Miliunas
02-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Tsssssk, tsssssk, tsssssssssk! Karl, my friend, buddy....How in the world do you expect to have a nice work flow in that shop with all those interior walls????:eek: I thought I learned you better than that!!!:mad:

So, what's going on with that big box in your garage???:confused: :D :cool:

Roy Wall
02-07-2006, 11:37 PM

I keep asking him if he ever got a combo............:cool:

Gregg Mason
02-08-2006, 2:07 AM
Looking good. Glad to see it's moving along.

Vaughn McMillan
02-08-2006, 2:44 AM
You know...it was hard to really understand the scale of the thing until you got that sheathing plastered on the walls. Very nice place that is going to be!
I had the same revelation. The house looks much larger with some walls up. Looking good, Karl.

- Vaughn

Karl Laustrup
02-08-2006, 3:56 AM
Can you walk around inside now and really start to get a feel of how it is going to work? Looking good. It's amazing what can be done in a short time! Jim.

As of late yesterday morning, the interior walls were all set. And yes, I can walk through and get a real good idea how each room is going to work. The two front bedrooms seem smaller than what I had envisioned in my drawing. I fact most of the rooms are smaller than I had envisioned in the plan. Only exception is the kitchen. Of course without the cabinets and appliances it's huge, but I think it's still going to be bigger than I had thought. Big enough that one of my projects may be a rolling island counter.

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 296676" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>Jim Becker</TD><TD class=alt2>You know...it was hard to really understand the scale of the thing until you got that sheathing plastered on the walls. Very nice place that is going to be!</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I know what you mean Jim. Especially that back wall. It's 60' long. But then I get inside and wonder where all that room went. :confused: ;) :eek:

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 296695" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>John Miliunas</TD><TD class=alt2>Tsssssk, tsssssk, tsssssssssk! Karl, my friend, buddy....How in the world do you expect to have a nice work flow in that shop with all those interior walls????:eek: I thought I learned you better than that!!!:mad:

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I tried to keep it open, but Carole suggested I rethink things. Once I woke up I had to agree. :o :eek:

Box? Did I mention a box? SOON!! Roy SOON!!!

Karl

Frank Pellow
02-08-2006, 4:57 AM
It's winter in Wisconsin. Man we turned cold over the weekend and it's still that way. At least it's been sunny.

But, I see that it is still a winter with very litle snow.

I finally got power back to the garage/shop yesterday. :) Oh happy day.

That does make it a happy day. :)

Not bad, seeing as that will be 5 weeks since the back hoe took the first bite.

I would say that it is a whole lot better than "not bad". :) :p :) :p :)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-08-2006, 8:31 AM
Karl........Nice progress! One of the things that has worried me in the past is getting the framing and sheathing covered and weather tight without it being saturated with moisture. It looks like the Wisconsin weather is going to allow this to happen! Excellent progress considering the time of year! Excellent progress!

Dennis Peacock
02-08-2006, 8:40 AM
Looks real good Karl. I'm proud to see such progress. After building a home of my own, I know that this process is what gives the fastest results to the eye, and what's about to come for the inside work will appear to take forever. Godspeed buddy......ya'll are doing just fine.:)

Bryan Somers
02-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Coming along real nice and looking good. Looks lik winter showed up BRRRRRR!!!!

Jerry Olexa
02-08-2006, 4:14 PM
Karl: Continues to look good. I probably missed it but where will your shop be? Need to get our priorities straight. Looks good, my friend.:D