PDA

View Full Version : Battery operated leaf blowers

Brian Runau
04-26-2024, 1:06 PM
Well, I made the mistake of having my leaf blower repaired two years ago and it will not start this season, OH well. Note to self don't repair these things. Anybody use battery operated leaf blowers and how do you like them?

Thanks.

Brian

Frank Pratt
04-26-2024, 1:13 PM
I have a Milwaukee M18 blower that works well. Quite powerful for a cordless electric.

Tom M King
04-26-2024, 1:17 PM
3different brands of cordless, 2 corded, and one 13hp gasoline on wheels.

Get the biggest Echo you want to spend the money on.

Tom M King
04-26-2024, 1:20 PM
Sorry. EGO not echo. On phone

Brian Runau
04-26-2024, 1:46 PM

:D ego it is. Thanks brian

Howard Garner
04-26-2024, 2:31 PM
Have a Kobalt from Lowes.
Works great
Do not miss the gas and oil mix.

Howard Garner

Derek Meyer
04-26-2024, 2:31 PM
I have the Dewalt 40V leaf blower, which works great - really powerful. Dewalt discontinued the 40V equipment, though, so if the batteries go (I have the string trimmer as well) then they are done. I am thinking of going to the Stihl Kombi system with the high-powered battery head. There are about 15 attachments for that unit, ranging from string trimmers to cultivators to sweepers. Expensive, but built to last.

Alan Rutherford
04-26-2024, 2:57 PM
Just came in from using my Ryobi 40v leaf blower. Very good, IMO. It's been a long time since I've used gas so I can't compare but this one does a good job and we have a very demanding yard. There are probably other good brands also. Consider other tools you want and then stick with one brand so you can share batteries. I'm happy with the 40v Ryobi string trimmer and hedge clippers, less happy with the chain saw but it''s OK.

Can't say anything about the Ego leaf blower but I have one of their chain saws because it was given to me. It's good but I'm not sure it lives up to the hype and the price.

Dave Fitzgerald
04-26-2024, 3:02 PM
Mine is a Ryobi 40V blower. The Ryobi yard tools strike me as a lot better than their reputation in the world of woodworking tools would lead one to expect - well-designed and reasonably sturdy. The blower gives me all the performance I need. As a bonus it provides an effective way to clean the refrigerator coils.

Mike Henderson
04-26-2024, 3:08 PM
I have the DeWalt 60 volt blower. It's as good as the corded one I used to use. The batteries are a bit expensive - I have three - but they've lasted quite well. I've been using them for a number of years now.

Mike

Ron Selzer
04-26-2024, 5:36 PM
20v DeWalt, use 5amp batteries with it. If you want to go at it for hours then 8,9,12,amp batteries
I prefer 5 amp and change as needed as I only run that hard once a year. Use the batteries with regular tools rest of the year
Have the string trimmer and hedge trimmer also. Hedge trimmer cut time down to 1/3 or less with no cord and longer bar.
Ron

Bill George
04-26-2024, 5:58 PM
If not a mechanical person and don’t know about keeping good gas your equipment by all means get a good battery operated one. I find its a challenge keeping up with the charging and then of course batteries do not last forever! My DeWalt tools I need to replace at least one a year and they ain’t cheap.

Jim Becker
04-26-2024, 6:51 PM
If you need serious "leaf blowing", go with one of the new green brands like EGO. There are other excellent outdoor tools that use the same batteries. If your needs are more incidental, go with whatever brand of battery system you're already using if you have one. My leaf and debris blowing is absolutely incidental so my personal solution was pretty inexpensive. :)

Jeff Clode
04-26-2024, 7:10 PM
Very happy in the EGO ecosystem (using snow blower, lawnmower, edger) - but, batteries on hand would determine my choice I think

Michael Schuch
04-26-2024, 7:19 PM
Get the biggest Echo you want to spend the money on.

OP should have no problem finding big EGO's around here... but the biggest EGO they can afford, hmmm???? ;)

Larry Frank
04-26-2024, 7:40 PM
I have the Ego and works very well. I also have a Stihl gas and it is more powerful but the ease if use makes the Ego my go to blower.

Ronald Blue
04-26-2024, 7:52 PM
I have the Ryobi backpack blower with dual batteries, It works very well other than it's heavy. I sit it on a bench to strap it on. I think the smaller 40 volt version would have been fine. For the money I can't fault the Ryobi's. I took down a pretty large quantity of trees cleaning up the fence line with my 14" chain saw. Then I cut them up for loading on my trailer to haul away. It might be 2 years before I need it again though and it's just not worth the trouble to keep a gas saw going. I think my oldest batteries are 6 years now and the newest are 3. I currently have one bad one out of 5.

Tom M King
04-26-2024, 8:24 PM
We have this one at the rental house. It's a lot better than you might think it would be when you look at the lineup and price. It's well worth this amount.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y52TZB2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cord kept on this reel. Not the most comfortable to use for size large hands, but the only one I've found to easily hold the 100' cord.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000BYBVT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jay Aubuchon
04-26-2024, 9:33 PM
I have one from Makita. It uses the same batteries as our push mower and tire pump. I'm very satisfied, but my use is rather light.

Tom M King
04-26-2024, 9:49 PM
Not cordless, but very lightweight and more powerful than any cordless one currently made. This one moves more leaves here these days than anything else. I keep a 100' 14gauge cord permanently attached to it on a reel. It probably weighs no more than half what one of the big cordless ones does.

Two people, including SIL and she already had an EGO cordless, have bought one after using mine.

https://www.amazon.com/TORO-PowerJet-Electric-Handheld-Blower/dp/B07VVDYYBF/ref=sr_1_10?crid=27PG1TNTN8PXT&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.Kv39yZX_g710txAxgxtumRqNB7dQdclmq 5P4PmlazBKsRpqTIIttFPju53_RH3zDy04XZ16OlUzXbCAcwub 8O33QBh_W7xzmxeCQW1mdzHSTERCwBZGtNYOgjLUQlxV7i600y 7-STuEZsd_fwfq8wAAkRxsU6pImODIj-neClIs.psAtbjCviqZkWeDfIHfuk8PIgWxMjAC09OEfatW0dag&dib_tag=se&keywords=toro+powerjet+f700&qid=1714182020&sprefix=%2Caps%2C114&sr=8-10

Warren Lake
04-26-2024, 10:20 PM
still on cord and at times its annoying. Think I read a review of a Milwuakee blower and some unhappy users but will check it again. I learned to detail cars in LA and we used leaf blowers to dry and more so blow water out of any places so it wasnt coming back out once the owner drove it. Progressed to a Master Blaster for that and its better for that function use and it heats the air which helps for car stuff. The corded milwaukee I have works well other than the cord. It has enough power for anything ive done. Think I read claims from milwaukee that their cordless out perform the corded in how much air they move.

Mike Henderson
04-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Not cordless, but very lightweight and more powerful than any cordless one currently made. This one moves more leaves here these days than anything else. I keep a 100' 14gauge cord permanently attached to it on a reel. It probably weighs no more than half what one of the big cordless ones does.

Two people, including SIL and she already had an EGO cordless, have bought one after using mine.

https://www.amazon.com/TORO-PowerJet-Electric-Handheld-Blower/dp/B07VVDYYBF/ref=sr_1_10?crid=27PG1TNTN8PXT&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.Kv39yZX_g710txAxgxtumRqNB7dQdclmq 5P4PmlazBKsRpqTIIttFPju53_RH3zDy04XZ16OlUzXbCAcwub 8O33QBh_W7xzmxeCQW1mdzHSTERCwBZGtNYOgjLUQlxV7i600y 7-STuEZsd_fwfq8wAAkRxsU6pImODIj-neClIs.psAtbjCviqZkWeDfIHfuk8PIgWxMjAC09OEfatW0dag&dib_tag=se&keywords=toro+powerjet+f700&qid=1714182020&sprefix=%2Caps%2C114&sr=8-10

I used a corded blower for years and the cord was a real PITA. I'd prefer a cordless blower that was inferior to a corded just because I hate having to deal with the cord. But the 60 volt DeWalt I use is the equal to the corded blower I used to use.

BTW, on URLs you can usually delete everything after, and including, the ? in the URL and you'll get to the same site. All that stuff after the ? is just to track where you came from, or what you searched for.

Mike

Brian Runau
04-27-2024, 7:12 AM
Thanks men. Mostly blowing a lot of leaves in fall so I can them and bag for pick up. Going with EGO. 7654 largest unit, comes with larger battery and charger. From ace hardware of all places, smaller battery free all for $300. Thanks brian

Lee DeRaud
04-27-2024, 5:16 PM
OP should have no problem finding big EGO's around here... but the biggest EGO they can afford, hmmm???? ;)

I'm still amazed the Tesla people let that particular trademark get away...

Lee DeRaud
04-27-2024, 5:22 PM
Back on topic...

I have two, a 18V Ryobi now used only for blowing cruft out of the garage, and a 40V Greenworks that shares batteries with the lawnmower, string trimmer, and hedge trimmer. One charge on a 4AH battery will trim, mow, and blow my (admittedly tiny) back yard.

(I'm not going to list the stuff I have that shares the Ryobi batteries, we'd be here all day. :) )

Brian Elfert
04-28-2024, 3:27 PM
I have the Ego hand held blower. It has plenty of power for clearing leaves/clipping from a sidewalk/driveway, or blowing dirt out of the garage. If you're the type who spends hours blowing leaves across the lawn I would look at the Ego backpack blower instead. If you already have battery powered outdoor tools I would just buy the blower that takes the same batteries. I ended up with Ego because I was able to get a good deal on the first piece of Ego equipment and I was also able to get deals on subsequent pieces of EGO equipment. I bought the Ego blower because I already had Ego batteries, not because the Ego blower was something special. It works just fine.

A few weeks ago I gave away my Stihl backpack blower. It had been sitting with fuel in it for a good six to eight years since I last used it. It is just so noisy and I didn't want to spend the time and money to get it working again since I never planned to use it again. It likely needed either a new carb, or a serious carb cleaning.

Warren Lake
04-28-2024, 4:13 PM
the toro I have also sucks up leaves and mulches maybe 12:1 into a bag hanging over the shoulder. Is this on any battery ones or only blow.

I dont use it often but have past and it worked well. Piles of leaves if piled I normally grind up with the mower. Saving stuff now making compost.

Lee DeRaud
04-28-2024, 4:44 PM
the toro I have also sucks up leaves and mulches maybe 12:1 into a bag hanging over the shoulder. Is this on any battery ones or only blow.

I dont use it often but have past and it worked well. Piles of leaves if piled I normally grind up with the mower. Saving stuff now making compost.

The Greenworks one I have (not sure bout the newer ones) can do that, but I only tried it once when it was new. I just don't have that many leaves to deal with, and reconfiguring it from blow to suck is a bit of a kabuki dance, not something I'd want to do all very often anyway.

Mike Henderson
04-28-2024, 6:20 PM
I had a corded blower that would do that, but like Lee, I only used it one time. Just didn't see a lot of value in it.

Mike

Dave Cav
04-28-2024, 9:31 PM
I have the 40 volt Ryobi, it works fine. I also have their power head with the weed eater, edger and mini tiller attachements. The first two work great, the tiller not so much. I also have a corded leaf blower but about all it gets used for is blowing out the dust collecter cartridge filters every six months to a year, depending on the workload.

Edward Weber
04-29-2024, 11:26 AM
I have one like this
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Greenworks-Horizontal-Blower-Attachment-2927702/576936867?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1148&gclsrc=aw.ds&adid=22222222227576936867_1148_151711324542_206429 71870&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=676564519812&wl4=pla-2226257194748&wl5=9112863&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112562587&wl11=online&wl12=576936867_1148&veh=sem&gad_source=1
Just hooks up to my string trimmer head