PDA

View Full Version : Unilev 150/15 Fence?

Albert Lee
04-25-2024, 10:59 PM
I recently bought this Unilev 15 edge sander, but it doesnt have the fence.

I thought I can get them from SCM but they kept on telling me the machine is too old even after I told them I will be fine with current model fence (some minor modification maybe needed)

This left me with very little options... and very likely have to fabricate a set myself. or ask someone to 3D print it.

I have been scouring the internet for the photos of the underside of the fence, I couldnt find anything, can someone please help with a photo or two of the underside of the fence if you have a Unilev 15/150?

Warren Lake
04-25-2024, 11:28 PM
Dont know the sander but can you not use large angle iron. Im pretty sure on my progress machine 6" wide belt the fence is a huge chunk of angle iron

Albert Lee
04-28-2024, 4:01 PM
Dont know the sander but can you not use large angle iron. Im pretty sure on my progress machine 6" wide belt the fence is a huge chunk of angle iron

Thanks Warren
The fence is very simple. I may have over complicated it

Joe Calhoon
04-28-2024, 4:29 PM
I think JR Rutter has one of those, maybe he will chime in. For using that side with the split fence the infeed needs to be adjustable just like a jointer or shaper.

J.R. Rutter
04-30-2024, 12:22 PM
Yes, the factory fence has a screw adjustment on the infeed fore / aft. The fence slides at an angle in the slot visible in the bed. I haven't moved mine since original setup to the amount I wanted to take off per pass. It was fiddly enough that I don't want to touch it again. But I bet you could get some large angle iron milled square and flat and do a one-time setup with the infeed offset 0.01 - 0.02" from the outfeed side. For me using 120 grit, 0.013 +/- is where I landed. There is some finesse in setting the platen, so it's somewhat arbitrary.

Albert Lee
05-03-2024, 2:22 AM
Yes, the factory fence has a screw adjustment on the infeed fore / aft. The fence slides at an angle in the slot visible in the bed. I haven't moved mine since original setup to the amount I wanted to take off per pass. It was fiddly enough that I don't want to touch it again. But I bet you could get some large angle iron milled square and flat and do a one-time setup with the infeed offset 0.01 - 0.02" from the outfeed side. For me using 120 grit, 0.013 +/- is where I landed. There is some finesse in setting the platen, so it's somewhat arbitrary.

Thanks J.R.!
I knew it was a bit fiddly just by the looks of the setup... I will give it a try. thanks again.

Albert Lee
05-03-2024, 2:24 AM
I think JR Rutter has one of those, maybe he will chime in. For using that side with the split fence the infeed needs to be adjustable just like a jointer or shaper.

Thanks Joe, is there anything in woodworking that you dont know at all ?! always full of knowledge. :cool: