PDA

View Full Version : Pre-cat replacement

Joe Chritz
02-07-2006, 8:03 PM
I am looking for a replacement for Pre-cat laqcuer for general finish use. I do a few cabinets, furniture and the like. I have been very happy with the pre-cat, mostly in the fast dry and recoat times.

I would be interested in anyone's opinion on the different products available and something that is as forgiving in application.

I am by no means a pro finisher and just get by with my HVLP setup. It produces quality finishes with the pre-cat but the solvent base scares me a little.

Anything Sherwin-williams may have as they have a local store. I have used their pre-cat and it is a good product best as I can tell.

Almost forgot, this is strictly for spray application. Anything I do by hand has waterlox but that happens less and less.

Thanks in advance

Joe

Steve Clardy
02-07-2006, 9:21 PM
I'll probably never stray from pre-cat lacquer.
About the only other finish I use to spray is a waterbase minwax poly, for bath vanities, in house spraying on staircases, and also the facing on counter tops around the kitchen sink.
Everything else is lacquer.

Alan Mikkelsen
02-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Go to TargetCoatings.com and look at their products. Their Ultima Spray Lacquer is a water base coating that actually burns in between coats. Their pre cat CV is great to spray. I'm up to about two gallons of it, so far in the past month. Easy to work with. They have a great web site and finish forum where you get the company presidents attention.

tod evans
02-08-2006, 1:57 PM
joe, i do not like the precatalyzed lacquers like sherwins cab-acrylic. i strictly use nitrocellouse. i find it cheaper and more forgiving.....02 tod

Joe Chritz
02-08-2006, 4:19 PM
I think I will check out target coatings. I have heard good stuff about them.

The last 15 gallons of pre-cat was something called Valspar from a local paint shop. It was the same cost as NC at the same shop. I used it all for trim and doors for a couple houses. Lots of trim and doors. :eek:

Now that I am moving into furniture for my house and a kitchen for a relative I am looking for something else. I originally wanted waterbased because I was to cheap to set up a proper spray area for finishing in the winter here. It was about 14 last night when I came in.

I am not opposed to experimenting some so I'll order me up a bit and give it a try.

Thanks

Joe

Jim Becker
02-08-2006, 5:04 PM
Joe, I'm also a fan of the Target Coatings products. Fuhr International also has some nice water borne finishes. Do remember that these finishes may require you to "warm things up" a little, depending on what species you are spraying as most of these acrylics (which is what they all are) will impart a paler coloration. That can make walnut, for example, look very bland. But oiling it, dying it or using a barrier coat of de-waxed shellac in the tone of your choice will make a remarkable difference.

Matt Meiser
02-08-2006, 6:06 PM
I use to spray is a waterbase minwax poly, for bath vanities, in house spraying on staircases, and also the facing on counter tops around the kitchen sink

I'm assuming that you've found those products to work well in wet conditions? I've been wondering what to use on my bathroom cabinetry when I start that project.