PDA

View Full Version : Box for Cremation Ashes

Mike Henderson
04-24-2024, 6:59 PM
A friend recently asked me to make her a cremation ashes box (for herself). I did some research and the recommendation is one cubic inch per pound of body weight. All fine.

But then she suggested that we make it as something she can use while alive.

I thought of a jewelry box but I know there are a lot of creative people here so I'll ask for suggestions.

The minimum size is about 150 cubic inches. She has a plot intended for a cremation box so there's a maximum size. I don't know what that is yet, but let me say 500 cubic inches just to get started.

This will be a box, not a turned urn.

Any ideas?

Mike

Mel Fulks
04-24-2024, 7:29 PM
Years ago I read in a couple of places that one of the first things an apprentice made was his own coffin , which would be used as a
tool box. If it was not good , the shop owner probably kept it , and sent him on his way . Probably tried to sell it to the fired
apprentice. When you are running a business, thrift is important !

Jim Becker
04-24-2024, 7:54 PM
One of the challenges with "interim use" of a cremation box is that quite often, the opening is in the bottom. You can certainly get around that using various box making techniques that would permit sealing a "more normal" box permanently with glue. (Heck, Professor Dr. SWMBO's 'rents live in a Thai teak ice bucket in Arlington National Cemetery that I glued shut after their remains were mixed and placed inside) How ornate or creative you want to get with the project will also enter into whether or not it will be adaptable to "interim use", other than decorative. To-date, I've only made them for pets, but all were bottom closure. They were also round/oval.

Mel Fulks
04-24-2024, 8:34 PM
Jewelry box is a good idea , preferably oval or round for a woman . They don’t want anything that’s going to , “ make me look fat” .

John Kananis
04-24-2024, 9:39 PM
How about a small/medium sized doll house? If she's into that sort of thing.

Mike Henderson
04-24-2024, 9:45 PM
Jewelry box is a good idea , preferably oval or round for a woman . They don’t want anything that’s going to , “ make me look fat” .

LOL. I think I'll stick with rectangular for ease of construction.

Mike

Doug Garson
04-24-2024, 9:57 PM
How about a Michael Cullen style bandsaw box? The top could be glued on for the final voyage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc5aq0vpwLY&t=409s

Andrew Hughes
04-24-2024, 9:58 PM
Here a look at a cremation box I made for my daughter in-law. The outdoor shell slides over.
It was challenging to make I built up the sides with a popular core using epoxy kinda like plywood.
Feel free to use my design or anything close.

John Kananis
04-24-2024, 11:33 PM
Ok, so I thought about it and the dollhouse idea is kind of weird lol. Was trying to think "outside the box".

Mike Henderson
04-25-2024, 10:10 AM
Here a look at a cremation box I made for my daughter in-law. The outdoor shell slides over.
It was challenging to make I built up the sides with a popular core using epoxy kinda like plywood.
Feel free to use my design or anything close.

That's really a nice box memorial, Andrew. The issue is that she wants something that she can use until need - so the box doesn't have to be put into the attic (for example).

But I really like what you did, and I can see that it took some real craftsmanship to make that.

Mike

Mike King
04-25-2024, 10:24 AM
Perhaps it is just a piece of art while the intended user is living?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrtMbXArbUU/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Ted Calver
04-25-2024, 11:28 AM
I recently made one for my grandson's cremains. Walnut sides, ebony splines and spalted silver maple divider and lid, walnut and bronze pin hinges a la Rob Cosman, with antique English cast pedestal feet from Lee Valley. 11 3/4" Long, 9 3/4" wide and 8" tall. Not designed to fit standard columbarium niches, because it will reside with his mom. There is a 1 3/4" deep compartment under the lid for photos and memorabilia. Finish is shellac on the interior, Watco medium walnut danish oil on the sides and multiple coats of Minwax antique oil and wipe on poly on the lid. Cup magnet in the lid and steel striker in the top of the side keep the lid closed and a small eyebrow sanded into the top of the front side allow opening the compartment. A small brass plaque (not shown) was added to the interior of the lid.
For your purposes, you could adjust the size and the partition could be omitted and added later when needed.

Bill Dufour
04-25-2024, 2:44 PM
Kleenex box. Open top with a flower pot inside. Probably not for live flowers. you do not want it to get wet and rot. Too many connotations if it rots before the eyes of designed resident. Will the finish fade in the light?
Bill D.

Look at about 11:00 for ideas on the book shelf.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVCaghNlCVs

https://www.instagram.com/ghostly.archive/reel/C4lS5HBRaRV/

Mike Henderson
04-25-2024, 3:03 PM
That's really good work, Ted, and some good ideas. I like what you did for a hinge - Brusso hinges have gotten really expensive.

Thanks for posting that.

Mike

Mike Henderson
04-25-2024, 3:05 PM
Kleenex box. Open top with a flower pot inside. Probably not for live flowers. you do not want it to get wet and rot. Too many connotations if it rots before the eyes of designed resident. Will the finish fade in the light?
Bill D.

Look at about 11:00 for ideas on the book shelf.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVCaghNlCVs

https://www.instagram.com/ghostly.archive/reel/C4lS5HBRaRV/

Thanks, Bill. I looked at the Instagram posting. Very interesting.

Mike

Cliff Polubinsky
04-25-2024, 4:27 PM
Mike,

In this area the remains come from the crematorium in a standard plastic box inside a cardboard box. Most of the urns I've built are sized to take the plastic box rather than the contents. This makes for a larger box but keeps the family from having to handle the plastic bag containing their loved one. I've got one for reference and if you need I can send you the dimensions.

Cliff

Mike Henderson
04-25-2024, 4:30 PM
Mike,

In this area the remains come from the crematorium in a standard plastic box inside a cardboard box. Most of the urns I've built are sized to take the plastic box rather than the contents. This makes for a larger box but keeps the family from having to handle the plastic bag containing their loved one. I've got one for reference and if you need I can send you the dimensions.

Cliff

That's good to know. Yes, please send me the dimensions. You can post the dimensions here as information for others who might also need it.

Thanks for offering.

Mike

Bill Dufour
04-25-2024, 5:27 PM
Mike that columbarium was designed by Julia Morgan who did a lot of buildings around Berkeley and also designed Hearst Castle. I like her work better then frank wright who made bad roofs.
BillD

Jim Becker
04-25-2024, 8:10 PM
Mike,

Cliff

That's how my parent's cremains are currently housed a few feet from where I am typing this. (still need to arrange for the memorial service and interment at the local National Cemetery) They were handled in Florida and sent north to me.

Frederick Skelly
04-25-2024, 8:58 PM
Yes, please send me the dimensions. You can post the dimensions here as information for others who might also need it.

Yes, this would be helpful. Thank you!

Maurice Mcmurry
04-25-2024, 9:13 PM
The I have followed several threads about Memorial Boxes that the woodturners here at SMC have posted. There is some remarkable work back in the wood turners archive.

Cliff Polubinsky
04-26-2024, 1:22 PM
With these inside dimensions the cremains box fits nicely.

8 11/16 x 6 13/16 x 4 5/8

These are the inside dimensions of the cardboard box that holds the plastic box.

I can't promise that all crematoriums will use the same box, but with every urn I've built for friends or their loved one the cremains came in the same box.

Cliff

Mike Henderson
04-26-2024, 3:10 PM
Thanks, Cliff. Since you alerted me to the way the ashes are handled, I'm going to stop at a mortuary near me and see if they use the same size in this area.

Mike

Cliff Polubinsky
04-26-2024, 4:56 PM
Mike,
See if you have a crematorium in your area and go there. You can probably acquire a box to keep for reference. The one I went to didn't charge for it.

Cliff

Mike Henderson
04-26-2024, 7:59 PM
Mike,
See if you have a crematorium in your area and go there. You can probably acquire a box to keep for reference. The one I went to didn't charge for it.

Cliff

Good idea. Thanks.

Mike

Tim Greif
04-27-2024, 2:04 PM
Here's one I made for my Mother's ashes. Very simple and could have been adapted to a top opening box for interim use. This one had a fixed top and the bottom was screwed onto the sides after the ashes were loaded.