PDA

View Full Version : Small shaper worth it?

Matt Meiser
02-07-2006, 6:47 PM
Someone near me has an older Delta/Rockwell shaper for sale for a very low price. This is the one with the open base under the table, similar to this Grizzly (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0510Z) model, but with a 1/2HP motor. I'm wondering if something like this would be worthwile for a hobbiest for making occasional raised panel doors? I already have a good router table with a 2-1/2HP router, but I'm under the impression that a shaper is much more powerful for a given HP rating and that the slower turning cutters work better. Assuming it is in good mechanical condition, is this a worthwhile tool?

Steve Clardy
02-07-2006, 7:06 PM
Depends on the price I guess Matt.
Myself, I use a 3hp for door panels.
1/2 hp would be kind of light for that job, but should handle the rail and stiles ok.

Matt Meiser
02-07-2006, 7:09 PM
Depends on the price I guess Matt.
Myself, I use a 3hp for door panels.
1/2 hp would be kind of light for that job, but should handle the rail and stiles ok.

$60 for the shaper and some cutters, assuming its not a misprint. And it looks very clean in the pictures.

Steve Clardy
02-07-2006, 7:16 PM
I'd snag that one.

Russ Massery
02-07-2006, 8:01 PM
I would too,at that price. Mine is a 1-1/2hp. But great part about a shaper is the induction can run all day vs. a router.

ROBERT ELLIS
02-07-2006, 8:29 PM
Matt,

Awfully good price, if it's in good shape it would be well worth it. I've got a router table and a 1 1/2 Jet shaper. I prefer routing on the shaper because it's heavier, lot less noise, slower, and has a forward/reverse switch.

Robert

Richard Wolf
02-07-2006, 8:48 PM
I know the price seems good, but I think you are going to trap yourself. If you purchase this you may never get a real shaper. I have a 3hp Shop Fox that I was only going to use for bullnosing stair treads. I just keep finding more uses for it every day and wonder how I got along without one.
The 1/2 spindle is pretty small and you will be limited to what you can do. If you could swing something bigger I think you would be happier.

Richard

Matt Meiser
02-07-2006, 9:01 PM
Richard you have a very good point. I can do thing like rails and styles roundovers, etc. with the router table. If it would make life easier doing raised panels, then its probably worth it. Otherwise, its just one more thing in the shop. Believe it or not I'm actually trying to streamline things in my shop by realigning my tool collection to give me efficient, enjoyable ways to do various things and not have 6 tools that each do the same thing.

Steve Clardy
02-07-2006, 9:11 PM
Maybe think about up grading the motor to a 1hp.
Bet the spindle size is a 1/2" ?

Matt Meiser
02-07-2006, 9:14 PM
Yes, it is a 1/2" spindle.

Dale Thompson
02-07-2006, 9:21 PM
Matt,
The only thing that I use my 1 1/2 HP shaper for is to make raised panels. :( The ONLY reason that I do this is that my router table doesn't have an opening large enough for those big, scary "fans" that cut raised panels. ;) :eek: One of these days, I am going to "update" my router table and sell the shaper! :o

Remember though, Matt, I'm just a hobbiest with occassional needs for a shaper. I am easily bored and seldom make more than one of the same thing. :) Truthfully, it may be that I have a very short attention span! :o ;) :)

Dale T.

Russ Massery
02-07-2006, 9:25 PM
Most 3/4 bore cutters come with 1/2 bushings. Richard does make a good point. A bigger unit would be better. Mine with 1-1/2hp handles most raised panel cutters just fine.

Matt Meiser
02-07-2006, 9:26 PM
Sounds like I should just wait for something larger to come along at a great price.

Steve Clardy
02-07-2006, 9:30 PM
Griz and shop fox 1 1/2 shapers are reasonably priced.
Though if you could find a 3hp, it would do future stuff, and handle panel bits with ease.

Russ Massery
02-07-2006, 9:53 PM
Steve, Can the 3hp units handle panel cutters in a single pass?

Todd Davidson
02-07-2006, 10:00 PM
Hi Matt~

I picked up one of those shapers awhile back.

(www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20032 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20032))

Haven't put it to much use, as most of my spare time has still been focused on redoing my shop, but it has done a decent job with raised panel cutters the couple times I used them.

A heavier/more HP shaper would be nice, but for the price I'd jump on the Delta. You can always resell (for more than you paid I'm sure) if you ever want to upgrade to a bigger machine and still be up a couple cutters.

In peace, Todd

Andy Hoyt
02-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Matt - I have that Delta machine (43-122). Bought it new back in 1988 or so for about $400 and I still use it all the time. Have raised panels for numerous kitchens, rabbeted and shaped tons of picture frames, and so forth. But I bought it specifically to cut tenons on timber for my architectural models and dollhouses.

I like it and would not trade it away or up. But that's me.

Paul B. Cresti
02-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Matt,
My suggestion is pass on it, save the space and wait. A shaper can be the most versatile machine in your shop especially one where you are "spacely challenged" :D I run a MM shaper with interchangeable spindles (router, 3/4" & 1-1/4") and I use it for anything from large tennons to small profiles. It has a sliding table with an outrigger table & power feeder so it can do many things. A 1-1/2hp shaper while can use a panel raiser will be a bit slow and a 1/2" spindle is a bit small and limiting in your cutters. I would guess many passes would be needed. I would also bet that the table on that shaper is real small. If you get involved with a shaper you will want to get a power feeder eventually or up front. I did feed by hand at one point and beleive me running a 8"+ diam cutter head is a bit interesting. If you really want to maximise your space and get the great machining ability & capacity to boot a Euro full combo or pair of them would give you a great solution.

Steve Clardy
02-08-2006, 11:20 AM
Steve, Can the 3hp units handle panel cutters in a single pass?

Yes. But the cutters have to be sharp sharp!
I normally do it in two passes. I work mostly with oak, and it has a tendency to tear out the edge with one pass.

Charlie Plesums
02-08-2006, 11:42 AM
Can it or should it handle panel raising in a single pass are two separate questions.

My shaper (5 hp) can easily handle a raised panel in a single pass. But I get a nicer result by making a second shallow pass.