PDA

View Full Version : vent-free heater opinions

Ken Miller
02-07-2006, 6:29 PM
Does anyone have opinions on the natural gas heaters for either a garage shop or a finished basement? The basement area is about 10x20 and would be the sole source of heat. I've read mixed reviews on safety and would like to know what people have experienced first hand. My main concerns are the moisture and the CO. Any other recommendations for either space?

Matt Meiser
02-07-2006, 6:56 PM
Non vented heaters generate a lot of moisture. For the house in the winter, that might actually be a benefit. Around cold cast iron, you are going to get condensation from my and my dad's experience with Kerosene heaters. We both now have vented gas or propane furnaces.

We were going to put a non-vented wall mount heater in our basement this spring, but waited too long to get them on clearance at Lowes and missed the model I wanted. Also, with the rise in petroleum prices they are saying electric heat is actually more economical, so we may do that instead.

We already have a non-vented propane fireplace unit in our family room on the main floor. We've had no issues with CO according to our detectors and the moisture isn't noticeable. I installed the identical unit for my parents this year and they actually keep it lit all the time and adjusted the thermostat on the fireplace to keep their family room toasty while lowering the central heat thermostats to about 60 for the rest of the house. Their gas bills have gone down a little this year over last, so it might be working well. Hard to tell since my dad hasn't spent as much time in his shop this year and its been warmer since the beginning of the year.

No matter what, if you have gas appliances, you should have a CO detector(s) in my opinion.

Ken Miller
02-07-2006, 7:09 PM
Matt,
Do you have any concerns with moisture or co in your basement if you put one of these heaters in? Also, since I posted the question, I found a place that makes wall mounted electric heaters that they say uses less energy. eheat.com was the place. Does anyone have an opinion on these as well?

Matt Meiser
02-07-2006, 7:14 PM
A friend had one in his basement at his old house with no issues. Our house is pretty dry in the winter and since we'd only be using the heat occasionally in the basement, I don't think moisture would be an issue.

Those e-heat units are only 425W. You can buy electric baseboards at the Borg for less. Not sure on code for a below grade installation though.

Ken Salisbury
02-08-2006, 10:50 AM
I found a place that makes wall mounted electric heaters that they say uses less energy. eheat.com was the place. Does anyone have an opinion on these as well?

Last winter I installed 2 quartz radiant heaters in my shop (24 x 24). They do a great job. I believe Jim Becker has the same heaters in his shop. You can get them at Lowes.