PDA

View Full Version : Back At It: My New Toy

Ed Scolforo
02-07-2006, 6:03 PM
Now that I finally have time to turn, I thought it was time to move up from my Jet Mini. The stand is not really fancy, but solid, with 200# sand to add stability. This piece of cherry, my second project, is 15" in diameter and 5" thick. I'm using the lathe with 115v. and had no problem roughing this piece out. I intend to make a salad bowl and right now it's in the alchy bath. The DVR-XP is very smooth and quiet, taking up less space than many others, yet, in my opinion, rivals many of the bigger, more expensive machines. It's a good fit for my small shop. I'll post pictures of my first project soon.
Ed

John Hart
02-07-2006, 6:14 PM
Looks like you're wimpin' out on that piece of cherry Ed. You could have easily gotten another 1/16" more diameter on that thing!:D Sheesh! Congratulations and Welcome back!!!:)

Harry Pye
02-07-2006, 6:19 PM
Ed,

Congratulations on the new lathe. I think you will find that it does everything you want it to do. I run mine on 110 volts too and have had no problems. Don't forget to send a picture of that bowl when it is finished.

Keith Burns
02-07-2006, 6:26 PM
Way COOL Ed !:) :) :) Can't wait to see the finiished product. Great looking lathe too.

Corey Hallagan
02-07-2006, 6:33 PM
Nice Lathe Ed and congrats! You will be very happy I am sure!

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
02-07-2006, 6:45 PM
Looks mighty good Ed. That is one big old hunk of wood on it.

Michael Stafford
02-07-2006, 7:00 PM
Ed, looks like you are serious about turning. For me that is a wash tub sized piece of wood.:p :eek: Nice set up for sure!!!:D

Andy Hoyt
02-07-2006, 7:35 PM
Nice Ed, and glad you're back down here in the abyss with all of us.

And wait til Glenn Clabo sees that. I don't think his has arrived yet.

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-07-2006, 7:47 PM
Chi WAWA ..........................DID THE DVR GRUNT when you put that on it?

How about you.............................DID YOU HURT YOURSELF?

Sound like AL...............VIN?

Happy Turnin'.

Bruce

Bob Noles
02-07-2006, 7:52 PM
Ed,

I think you should have gotten a bigger lathe :eek: :D

Nice haul on both the machine and the blank. Be sure to do a show and tell on the complete bowl.

Bill Stevener
02-07-2006, 7:58 PM
Hi Ed, hope you have many enjoyable years with your new DVR. You will find it is very versatile and a fun machine to turn on.

Can't wait to see your first piece,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Glenn Clabo
02-07-2006, 8:29 PM
"And wait til Glenn Clabo sees that. I don't think his has arrived yet.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->"
Oh contraire mon Maine-iac aimie...
http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=31199&d=1139174499

The day job has kept me busy...so it's a way before it's spinning something 1/10 the size of Ed's chuck.

Dick Parr
02-07-2006, 8:34 PM
Congrats Ed, you are going to love that lathe.:D ;)

Glenn Clabo
02-07-2006, 8:34 PM
Hey Ed...
No guts no glory.
I'll be watching and learning how you do with the DVR...I'm far from anything like that. I don't even have it attached and wired yet.

Travis Stinson
02-07-2006, 10:11 PM
Way to go Ed! Can't wait to see that finished.:cool:

Ernie Nyvall
02-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Alright!!! Way to go Ed. That mis a chunk of wood you got there.

Ernie

Ed Scolforo
02-08-2006, 8:41 AM
Hey Ed...
No guts no glory.
I'll be watching and learning how you do with the DVR...I'm far from anything like that. I don't even have it attached and wired yet.

Glenn, Congratulations. Since you haven't mounted it yet, I suggest you consider raising it an inch or so from the bench to help clearing chips.
Thanks, everyone, for your kind words. BTW, I broke the tenon on the bowl after reversing and starting to hollow the inside. So, after redoing the tenon I'll be losing some of the dimensions. Still, I think it should hold a decent sized salad :D .
Ed