PDA

View Full Version : Wood “stick” cane that contains iron?

Phillip Bohl
04-20-2024, 10:56 AM
So a friend asked me if I could lengthen a wooden cane he just received as a gift from a world traveler. No idea where the cane (more of a polished stick) was acquired. Africa, Europe, Asia, South America, Mexico, LA…could be anywhere. It’s got a thick coat of lacquer or polyurethane on it and is quite heavy for its size. For the heck of it I put a magnet on it and guess what…it stuck…firmly.

Have I been missing out all these years on the true meaning of ironwood or is something fishy here?

I was planning to cut the stick roughly in half and put some steel rod in it to reinforce a 16” or so rod of black delrin or maybe imitation ivory. But not so sure now.

No obvious signs that a rod was inserted and yes the magnet stick top to bottom.

Thoughts?

Bill Dufour
04-20-2024, 5:31 PM
Sword cane? Could be legal problems as it is a concealed knife or sword. I was in the jury pool for a man with a concealed meat cleaver. So I learned a little about the law from the judge. Read more once I was dismissed and got home. Laws last update was about 1890 in California. Is a knife in a sheath illegal.. maybe. Openly stuck in your belt with no sheath is fine and dandy in public.
I have no idea where that guy had it concealed. Maybe down his pants? No idea why the Sheriff noticed it either.
Bill D

Richard Coers
04-20-2024, 10:59 PM
I can't offer a comment on the possibility of a metal rod being inserted during construction without seeing a few close up pictures. If two boards were resaw and book match glued up, the glue line would be nearly invisible.

Larry Edgerton
04-21-2024, 7:10 AM
Pictures? I am inclined to agree with Bill's theory, can think of no real reason other than self defense. I had a friend that made sword canes before he passed, and a couple with 22 caliber single shots. My favorite was a 22 cane that was two intertwined snakes, the latches and firing mechanism invisible.

Bill Dufour
04-21-2024, 12:06 PM
In the seventies the pimps in Oakland carried golf clubs in their car and had one in hand walking around. No law against that. Carrying a billy club the cops would have stopped them. My dad made a billy club and drilled out the center. Poured in melted lead. He used it to hit a shark or stingray in the head so he could get out the hook. Probably frowned on these pc days.
Bill D