PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Handlles

Glenn Hodges
02-07-2006, 5:09 PM
I have always wanted to put handles on a bowl so here is my first attempt. This is a magnolia bowl which is 17.5 inches wide X 7.25 inches high. I put 2 coats of tung oil primer and 2 coats of polymerized tung oil on it then several coats of lacquer. Your comments pro and con will be appreciated. I need them before I attempt something like this again, thanks.

Keith Burns
02-07-2006, 5:15 PM
Glenn, I think the bowl itself is fabulous. Great form and finish. But IMHO I think the antler handles detract from it. I think a more triditional style handle of some type would work. Just my opinion.

Andy Hoyt
02-07-2006, 5:22 PM
Glenn - I too have often wanted to put some handles on a turned vessel, but never think of it when the right sort of chunk shows up.

But I'm afraid that in this instance the antlers are far too busy for the bowl; at least that's what I'm feeling. This may well be a concept that one has to see and touch in person to properly assess, though.

I'd be interested in reading how you achieved the connection.

Thanks for posting it.

John Hart
02-07-2006, 6:02 PM
I'm a big fan of the idea Glenn and I like the fact that you put it to the test. It's a wonderful piece. Personally, I don't care for the antler but I guarantee that someone will drool over it. I was thinking along the lines of a steamed bent wood handle, but skeered of trying it. Very nice!

Bob Noles
02-07-2006, 6:06 PM
Glenn,

I'm not extremely fond of the antlers for handles, but wanted to say that I really like the form and quality of appearance of the bowl itself.

Great job!

Glenn Hodges
02-07-2006, 6:21 PM
This is the kind of honest feedback I need. I connected the antlers to the bowl with wooden dowels and thick CA glue. I think I will be looking for bent twigs or limbs when I am in the woods to make handles.

Corey Hallagan
02-07-2006, 6:36 PM
Nice Glenn! That is a Beautiful bowl. My son would look at those antlets and say hell yeah!! Finish is beautiful. How do you apply the lacquer if I may ask?
Corey

Bernie Weishapl
02-07-2006, 6:43 PM
Glenn love the bowl but am not fond of the antlers. Also love the finish.

Michael Stafford
02-07-2006, 7:03 PM
Wow, Glenn, that is a fabulous looking bowl. I like the handles but they almost detract from that great looking bowl. I think the bowl makes a bold statement without the handles. If the bowl was less interesting to look at the handles might add something. But this bowl is a winner by itself...:D

Andy Hoyt
02-07-2006, 7:29 PM
This is the kind of honest feedback I need. I connected the antlers to the bowl with wooden dowels and thick CA glue. I think I will be looking for bent twigs or limbs when I am in the woods to make handles.

Jeez, I hate picking on you but....

I'm not sure of this, but I'm tempted to think the problem we all seem to be having with the antler might get repeated with natural forms from a twig or limb. The uniformity of the turning seems to suggest to me that a machined piece might be more suitable.

Speak up peanut gallery!

The form nature provides for the handle might be more apprpriate for a NE bowl. Maybe. I think. Dunno Guess I'd better try it and see.

John Hart
02-07-2006, 7:40 PM
As a fellow peanut, I can only say this....The handles that I envisioned for a vase that I also envisioned was a pair of oak spindles that I would steam and bend over the right shaped form. This idea was to create a sort of eared vase kinda thing. The reason I thought of using oak is because it bends so easily and offers good strength after the bend. I don't know how to turn a rope pattern but that's what I'd really like to try.

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-07-2006, 7:44 PM
Interesting look.

I LIKIE!!!!!!!

Bruce

Bill Stevener
02-07-2006, 8:14 PM
I think the antlers would go fine if they had one continuous line, not particularly of the same diameter, however in a clean sweep.

The ones you have on there now, I would tend to be afraid that one might impale there hand on the spike.:eek:

Or you may have placed them that way as a deterrent, as to "leave my bowl alone.:mad:

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Richard Allen
02-07-2006, 8:39 PM
Hi Glen

I am not sure why you want handles that are "rustic" with such a nice looking bowl.

How about making knobs out of the corner cutoffs. Another option might be to core out a simple core with a parting tool. The use that core to make a small bowl which you cut in half to corm two clam shell handles. The customary way is to leave a ring of wood which is carved away leaving the handles.

Good Luck

Richard

Bill Stevener
02-07-2006, 8:57 PM
I dooono, just thought I would jump in again, after mulling around in the peanut shells. If I may, my thoughts are, a bowl is a bowl, is a bowl. A nicely formed sorta natural rim servers well as a handle. When something else is added it just seams to become a pot. :confused:

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Bob Noles
02-07-2006, 9:03 PM
Yeah.... what Bill said. I think he nailed it perfectly.

Glenn Hodges
02-07-2006, 9:45 PM
The lacquer is sprayed right out of the can which is Deft Gloss. I have a customer that wanted a bowl for her daddy which is a big time outdoorsman. She said it could not have anything remotely femine about it. Well for me that was kind of difficult, but this thing has a masculine ring to it. I probably over did it. There is a plantation near me that gives my bowls away to some special clients that are invited to hunt on it, and this one will probably find a home in the big house over there. I mean it when I say your critiques are invaluable to me. I really appreciate your input, and agree that it is not for everyone.

Jim Becker
02-07-2006, 9:52 PM
Excellent idea, Glenn. I happen to like this treatment.

Mark Cothren
02-07-2006, 10:28 PM
Well I like the antler handles! In fact, if you don't mind, I may try this myself on a bowl for my son. He'll like it even more than me!

Glenn Hodges
02-08-2006, 12:00 AM
Mark, have a go at it. I was just trying something new. My wife likes it so what the heck, now all I have to do is find a customer that likes it. I think there is a place for handles on bowls this size, I just don't know about these handles. I am almost like a buck....they kind of grow on you...ha, ha.
I have to keep a frame of mind that it is only wood.

Barry Stratton
02-08-2006, 1:05 AM
I like the antlers, but I'm from Alaska - we've got antlers hanging everywhere!

My thought would be to bevel the base so that the antler tines all touch the bowl. I also think they'd look better on a bowl with more "plain" grain.

Great form and the size is awesome!

Earl Eyre
02-08-2006, 1:34 AM
I don't think I can add much to what has been said but as one who has "embellished" many a turning, some successfully and some unsuccessfully, I do think the answer is in consistency and flow. You have a beautiful bowl with a very shiny finish. If handles are going to work they, too, will have to be shiny, flowing, and integrated with the design. I can't really explain it...but somehow the handles need to look like they are a natural part of the bowl, done with very sleek and flowing lines.

Antlers, I think, would work with a bowl that is rustic, perhaps natural edged, done with a flat finish and a rough texture.

Keep experimenting. I've never seen handles attached so would love to see you experiment more and let us take a look!

Earl

Mark Cothren
02-08-2006, 10:11 AM
Ya know, I went back and looked at those pics again... the second one looks almost like crawdad claws/pinchers...:D

And I still like it...