PDA

View Full Version : New lathe

Steve Hayes
02-07-2006, 4:28 PM
A friend just purchased a new lathe and on the oppsite side if the spur where my lathe has the wheel so you can rotate the work before hitting the power, his is just threaded I guess so you can put one on or a sander??

George Troy Hurlburt
02-07-2006, 6:23 PM
Maybe your friend can put on a outboard wheel, you would buy a nut to fit and then exopy it on. More details on brand or photo would help. Do not attempt to use an outboard stand that will just lead to trouble. GT

Bernie Weishapl
02-07-2006, 6:48 PM
Would that be thread so you could do outboard turning? Maybe for screwing a face plate on? Just a thought.

Pat Salter
02-07-2006, 10:54 PM
you got it Bernie, but, the outboard spindles are usually left handed thread so the faceplate/chuck or whatever doesn't come off due to the direction of spin. You would have to get a left handed nut to make your own. most companies sell a wheel that has the left handed threads on it. Delta has one that has both left and right handed threads, they smart people!

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-07-2006, 11:56 PM
I'm guessing the lathe is a Wilton. I have one and after trying to come up with something that would work for almost a year, I gave up. If you find something reasonable, I'ld appreciate a heads up.

Bruce