PDA

View Full Version : Amazon is selling a square ( 6” by 4 and 5/16ths)

Mel Fulks
04-16-2024, 10:11 PM
For only $ 461.99 ! Get ‘em while they got ‘em !

Doug Garson
04-16-2024, 11:25 PM
Yeah but if you have Prime, shipping is free.:cool:
Where's the link?:confused:

Steve Demuth
04-17-2024, 12:27 AM
Doesn't take much looking to find absurdities on Amazon these days. The overseas sellers that have clogged up their (always rather random, now completely chaotic) marketplace just put all kinds of crazy stuff up there.

For example:

Item Description:
Features
1. It is very suitable for drilling on wood, with a mill or a morning coat. Suitable for all motors and press accessories. The square-hole drill is mainly used for woodwork.
4. Dimensions: 6mm/6.4mm/8mm/9.5mm/10mm/11mm/12mm/12.5mm/12.7mm/14mm/15mm/16mm/18mm/19mm/20mm/22mm/25mm
Specification
Material: High-carbon Steel
Color: Silver
Size: 6mm/6.4mm/8mm/9.5mm/10mm/11mm/12mm/12.5mm/12.7mm/14mm/15mm/16mm/18mm/19mm/20mm/22mm
Package Includes:
1 x Drill Bit
Item Specification:
DIY Supplies: Woodworking
Type: Twist Drill Bit
length: 6-22mm
Use: Wood Drilling
is_customized: Yes
Material: High Carbon Steel
TYPE 1: Drill Bit
TYPE 2: Woodworking Tools
TYPE 3: Twist Square Hole Drill Bits
TYPE 4: Woodworking Drill Tools
TYPE 5: DIY Furniture

(This is the link (https://www.amazon.com/Woodworking-Mortising-Extended-Carving-Furniture/dp/B0CYBS2TW3), but it's anybody's guess if it'll still be there, or how it'll be priced if it is, by the time you read this)

I'm not even sure exactly what that listing is for - it's obviously some kind of set of mortiser chisels, in metric and imperial, but how many, I wouldn't bet. So, a 6" square for over $400 wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Given the sellers grasp of English, I would guess that it's an bottom of the barrel el cheapo set, and the seller doesnt, literally, know dollars from cents.

Patty Hann
04-17-2024, 2:49 AM
Doesn't take much looking to find absurdities on Amazon these days. The overseas sellers that have clogged up their (always rather random, now completely chaotic) marketplace just put all kinds of crazy stuff up there.

For example:

(This is the link (https://www.amazon.com/Woodworking-Mortising-Extended-Carving-Furniture/dp/B0CYBS2TW3), but it's anybody's guess if it'll still be there, or how it'll be priced if it is, by the time you read this)

I'm not even sure exactly what that listing is for - it's obviously some kind of set of mortiser chisels, in metric and imperial, but how many, I wouldn't bet. So, a 6" square for over $400 wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Given the sellers grasp of English, I would guess that it's an bottom of the barrel el cheapo set, and the seller doesnt, literally, know dollars from cents.

But you neglected to mention the deal clincher, the best part... the BOGO!

Steve Demuth
04-17-2024, 8:02 AM
Yeah, although I at least know what that might mean. I really have no idea what they were after with "drilling on wood, with a mill or a morning coat," or why it doesn't go equally well with an evening jacket.

Tom M King
04-17-2024, 8:24 AM
I think maybe Artificial Intelligence is not as intelligent as some think it is.

George Yetka
04-17-2024, 9:18 AM
I wonder sometimes if this is one of those things where you buy it and then get a package with 2 lbs of heroin and a cheep drill bit.

Steve Demuth
04-17-2024, 9:37 AM
I wonder sometimes if this is one of those things where you buy it and then get a package with 2 lbs of heroin and a cheep drill bit.

So, maybe, "morning coat" is a code for "raw fentanyl?" Could be - stranger things have been true. But in this case, I'm more inclined to think it's bad AI translation of a mistyped unusual word like "mortiser."

Edward Weber
04-17-2024, 10:35 AM
Some of the overseas item description are truly insane and make no sense at all, others are a little confusing or even a bit comical.
I was looking for Diesel motor oil for my tractor, here is one of the photos in the listing.

Doug Garson
04-17-2024, 12:03 PM
I think maybe Artificial Intelligence is not as intelligent as some think it is.
More likely just a poor translation from Chinese, not uncommon for them to be word salads.

Doug Garson
04-17-2024, 12:05 PM
Some of the overseas item description are truly insane and make no sense at all, others are a little confusing or even a bit comical.
I was looking for Diesel motor oil for my tractor, here is one of the photos in the listing.
It does look hot and, while very rare, there were Diesel bikes manufactured at one time.

Edward Weber
04-17-2024, 12:32 PM
It does look hot and, while very rare, there were Diesel bikes manufactured at one time.

Nice try
A company the size of Shell (28 billion in profit last year) can afford proper advertisements, proof readers and even translators.

Personally, it's getting tiring playing Sherlock Holmes for everything you purchase online. Just about everything you read has an error. There's not much you can feel safe about taking a face value.
If you don't know exactly what you're looking for, this can be quite problematic in some cases.

Doug Garson
04-17-2024, 2:36 PM
Nice try
A company the size of Shell (28 billion in profit last year) can afford proper advertisements, proof readers and even translators.

Personally, it's getting tiring playing Sherlock Holmes for everything you purchase online. Just about everything you read has an error. There's not much you can feel safe about taking a face value.
If you don't know exactly what you're looking for, this can be quite problematic in some cases.
Lot's of reasons to complain about Shell, showing a picture of motorcycles riding thru the desert in an ad for Diesel motor oil is pretty low on my list.

Edward Weber
04-17-2024, 3:33 PM
It was a continuation of the OP's theme of unclear, misleading, imprecise product descriptions, good grief.
Not too many bikers are running 5-40 synthetic diesel oil in their bikes.

Larry Edgerton
04-17-2024, 3:58 PM
It annoys me how they will not let you be specific in a search. This morning I searched for a specific brand of footpegs that a general search said they had, and instead I got 300 cheap Chinese pegs. Now footpegs are something you don't want to let you down, no pun intended. I never found them and instead bought them from CRF's Only. Which I should have done in the first place. They used to be pretty good, but then so was Ebay.

Doug Garson
04-17-2024, 4:14 PM
If you look closely at the label of the oil can in the ad, look's like a bike to me.

Bill Dufour
04-17-2024, 9:43 PM
T6 oil meets diesel and thus gasoline engine requirements. Yes it is better then needed by gas engines. Which do not face as high a pressures or temperatures. It is fine for gas or diesel engines in any vehicle including tractors.
Seems perfectly on point for your request. I think you are confused by what oil type you need.
I do not know if oil for diesel airplane engines would be okay or not. That would be an off label use.
Not like GL5 gear oils being bad for older gear sets with yellow metal.
AFAIK any diesel rated oil will work fine in a normal gasoline engine, not vice versa.
Bill D

Edward Weber
04-18-2024, 9:53 AM
T6 oil meets diesel and thus gasoline engine requirements. Yes it is better then needed by gas engines. Which do not face as high a pressures or temperatures. It is fine for gas or diesel engines in any vehicle including tractors.
Seems perfectly on point for your request. I think you are confused by what oil type you need.
I do not know if oil for diesel airplane engines would be okay or not. That would be an off label use.
Not like GL5 gear oils being bad for older gear sets with yellow metal.
AFAIK any diesel rated oil will work fine in a normal gasoline engine, not vice versa.
Bill D

1. I know what oil I require for my equipment, I am not confused.

Full synthetic 5W-40 diesel engine oil with Triple Protection Plus technology protects against wear, deposits, oil breakdown, and improves low-temperature flow
Exceptional wear protection for longer life in a wide range of heavy-duty engine applications — from pickup trucks to tractors to semi rigs
Enhanced fuel economy capability of 1.5 percent without compromising engine protection or durability (compared to 15W-40 oils)
Multi-functional dispersant additives provide an enhanced level of protection against the effects of soot, dirt, and other contaminants (compared to previous formulation)
Increased shear stability for better viscosity control and optimal engine oil pressure

3. This is oil designed for diesel engines, it was an advertisement photo with motorcycles that don't use this type of oil. Do you understand why that's funny? Or do I need to explain it?

You guys are wrong, LET IT GO.

George Yetka
04-18-2024, 10:01 AM

How about this?

Doug Garson
04-18-2024, 12:10 PM
1. I know what oil I require for my equipment, I am not confused.

Full synthetic 5W-40 diesel engine oil with Triple Protection Plus technology protects against wear, deposits, oil breakdown, and improves low-temperature flow
Exceptional wear protection for longer life in a wide range of heavy-duty engine applications — from pickup trucks to tractors to semi rigs
Enhanced fuel economy capability of 1.5 percent without compromising engine protection or durability (compared to 15W-40 oils)
Multi-functional dispersant additives provide an enhanced level of protection against the effects of soot, dirt, and other contaminants (compared to previous formulation)
Increased shear stability for better viscosity control and optimal engine oil pressure

3. This is oil designed for diesel engines, it was an advertisement photo with motorcycles that don't use this type of oil. Do you understand why that's funny? Or do I need to explain it?

You guys are wrong, LET IT GO.
And yet they put a picture of a motorcycle on the label, your turn to let it go.

Doug Garson
04-18-2024, 12:10 PM

How about this?
Another reason why we need a like button. :D

Edward Weber
04-18-2024, 12:42 PM
I apologize to the OP for the thread going sideways.
I intended my post to be within the theme and offered it as humor.
Apparently some prefer to nit-pick and delve into un-necessary arguments.

John Stankus
04-18-2024, 1:03 PM

Google rotella motorcycle
Apparently it is a thing with motorcyclists

Bill Dufour
04-18-2024, 7:46 PM
Standard marketing trick. Take a higher priced product and convince people(motorcycle users) it is better for their use then the cheap stuff actually designed for their use.
Bill D

Lee DeRaud
04-21-2024, 10:25 PM
Not too many bikers are running 5-40 synthetic diesel oil in their bikes.

I dunno, my neighbor has a Harley that looks like it's using that stuff for fuel.