PDA

View Full Version : Max weight on bandsaw table: ACM BS540

Roger Olsson
04-15-2024, 1:32 AM
Hi,

I plan to make planks out of some oak logs. How much weight can the bandsaw table take without risk of damaging something?

Lee Schierer
04-15-2024, 7:17 AM
Not all band saws have the same capabilities. Knowing the brand and model of the saw you intend to use would be helpful here.

Zachary Hoyt
04-15-2024, 7:37 AM
In my mind it's more a question of how the weight is applied. More weight can be safely supported if it's just set gently on the table than if it is dropped from a few inches onto the table. If the same weight is dropped from a foot or two it will have much more destructive power.

Jim Becker
04-15-2024, 9:53 AM
There is also the aspect of actually physically and safely moving that weight through the cut (sled required for safety on something like this) and understanding that a vertical bandsaw like that really wasn't designed for milling wet, green logs. Using the correct band will help, but it's still an "off label use". I've seen a video (no idea where) that showed a whole work support construction around the bandsaw that essentially supported the weight of the logs as well as provided for clamping and moving through the cuts.

Roger Olsson
04-15-2024, 10:04 AM
Not all band saws have the same capabilities. Knowing the brand and model of the saw you intend to use would be helpful here.

It is a bandsaw like this, ACM BS 540. Its from the 1980's and wheighs 240 kilos.
https://www.blinto.se/auction/BS-540-142463-45448/

STUART Robertson
04-15-2024, 12:07 PM
How big are the logs?
You'd need a sled to secure and control them.
And amongst other things...
Infeed and outfeed support.
Two people.
A suitable blade.
A powerful enough motor.
Oak sapwood isn't overly desirable.

Edward Weber
04-15-2024, 12:57 PM
I have a 17" Grizzly
https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-17-2-hp-bandsaw-w-cast-iron-trunnion/g0513x2
which looks to be very similar and I regularly put logs weighing 50+ lbs on the table.
I use a large sled

Richard Coers
04-15-2024, 1:01 PM
I've seen people call a tree branch a log. What are the dimensions and weight of your log. The trunions under the table will be the critical parts, and no one knows what the engineered weight limit is. Except for the engineer of course, and they didn't design it as a sawmill.

Warren Lake
04-15-2024, 2:41 PM
walked on one of the bandsaw tables many times to reach up to get things on the wall. Have to stop doing that and will.

Edward Weber
04-15-2024, 3:56 PM
If the trunions are cast iron, not aluminium, I wouldn't concern myself too much with the weight. You can only put so much on the table at one time, anything too long and you need additional support.
The log/burl I posted is a good 75 lbs

Tom Trees
04-15-2024, 4:17 PM
2hp motors on most of the ones I've seen, though never seen an ACM so old..
I think you'd have to seek out a grey Felder 540, or Laguna should they have sold the 40 series for more power,
Griggio and Bridgewood both selling ACM's frames also, with 3hp motors on the 600mm saws.
I presume most saws not branded by ACM being more premium and would have solid wheels, rather than optional,
but unsure if that's the case with the 40 series, doesn't seem I've came across anything but spoked wheels on the old ones...
perhaps nowadays though, seeing as the do the Formula line.

Tom

John Lanciani
04-15-2024, 5:42 PM
2hp motors on most of the ones I've seen, though never seen an ACM so old..
I think you'd have to seek out a grey Felder 540, or Laguna should they have sold the 40 series for more power,
Griggio and Bridgewood both selling ACM's frames also, with 3hp motors on the 600mm saws.
I presume most saws not branded by ACM being more premium and would have solid wheels, rather than optional,
but unsure if that's the case with the 40 series, doesn't seem I've came across anything but spoked wheels on the old ones...
perhaps nowadays though, seeing as the do the Formula line.

Tom

And none of that in any way shape or form answers the OPs question.

Tom Trees
04-15-2024, 6:40 PM
Might though, if we're possibly talking about the next gen of SNAC...
and whether the OP is aware of the possible challenges sorting out another motor if necessary, as the pulley sits very far out on these with a shrink fit.
So with a replacement found local, might indeed need be "let into" the chassis, in order for the pulley to reach where it needs to be.
which is a good idea to be made adjustable anyways, especially considering if it were an SNAC from that era.
Not got a good look to see if the arrangement on that old ACM machine is likewise, but I could only guess so.
https://i.postimg.cc/8zGHCJ2W/SAM-6745.jpg
Should none of be deemed an issue, then yes is my final answer. :)
All the best

Tom

Warren Lake
04-15-2024, 10:39 PM
and I thought id catch hell for doing walk abouts on my bandsaw table :)

Bill Dufour
04-15-2024, 11:44 PM
If it weighs more than 50% of the saw weight it may tip it over onto your face. If it is long even less weight will do it as well.
Bill D

Tom Trees
04-16-2024, 12:44 AM
Presuming one would have/get a welder if this work is envisioned, so stability of the machine could be sorted out.
Here's a thread which may be of interest with better picture than what I can screenshot from utoob.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FZtIg5HeR0
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/threads/cheap-sawmill.9589/

I'm sure something more conservative on space, like those foldable ones could be braced securely for the job with a few more struts added, or whatnot,
or even those lifting tables could be utilized since one would probably need something to get logs up there in the first place?
Plenty of ways to brace the table if concerned, I haven't seen any reasonably movable bandsaw made for such use, perhaps the Makita/Hitachi saws might likely be stouter for the task, but nothing else jumps out as being much stronger, though there might likely be some folks here from the OWWM owners club who could speak of the wonders of double trunnions, or indeed some other company?

Not seeing why any of this would making the difference here though, should be small beans in the scheme of things.

Tom

Warren Lake
04-16-2024, 1:23 AM
I have some fairly heavy duty rollers and stuff moves easily on them. The only neg is they have to be aligned perfectly with your travel or your material will walk. Ive had this at times on the jointer and not a big deal there as the cutting surface is wider than the material walking. For some long stuff ive used 3/4" melmine and while a bit more resistance nothing walks.

Id think on something larger like that weight id prefer the rollers but be sure they are attached securely to the bandsaw and aligned well.

Doug Garson
04-16-2024, 1:52 AM
No need to put all the weight on the bandsaw table. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0oT0jBHvr8

STUART Robertson
04-16-2024, 2:42 AM
Infeed and outfeed support extensions.
Rip the log in two with a chainsaw first?

Larry Edgerton
04-16-2024, 6:44 AM
and I thought id catch hell for doing walk abouts on my bandsaw table :)

Warren, what the hell were you thinking? Feel better?:)

Bill Dufour
04-16-2024, 11:58 PM
Lumber mills near me have gotten rid of their older bandsaws. Most max out at only five-six foot diameter or so. The big stuff is logged out. The new smaller ones the top and bottom wheels are so small they fit inside the building on one floor! No more lower wheel in the basement and the top wheel in the attic.
I think most of them now run blades with teeth only along one edge so they do not cut on the backstroke?
BilL D

Rod Sheridan
04-19-2024, 8:46 AM
Hi Roger, short answer, I don’t know.

Longer answer, it depends upon the saw and the weight of the log, here’s what I often do.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?182034-Making-Lumber-on-a-Bandsaw&p=1877202

Regards, Rod