PDA

View Full Version : Latest turning...first one posted here

Bob Opsitos
02-07-2006, 1:29 PM
I was practising the form I need to turn for a golf tournament trophy (though it will be longer and larger in diameter than this), so I chucked up some Mulberry branch wood. I find it miserable to turn (at least the sapwood) as centerwork. I've never turned it as facework though I seen some nice examples posted here.

I don't mind the color, but the wife did not like it. She said it reminded her of 70's furniture or something.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ropsitos/DSCN1035shrink.jpg
Thanks for looking.

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
02-07-2006, 1:42 PM
Looks to me like you did a fine job on it. Looks good to me.

Bill Stevener
02-07-2006, 3:21 PM
Hi Bob,
Welcome to the Creek.
Looks like a fine turning, it's hard to relate to longer and larger, as no sizes are noted and nothing in the photo to relate to for the same. Looks some what like Ash. Is the form something representative in Golf, I don't play the game?
I am sure who ever wins it will be a very proud recipient.

Thanks for stopping by and showing your work,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Corey Hallagan
02-07-2006, 4:00 PM
Yup, that looks great and welcome to the creek.
Corey

John Hart
02-07-2006, 4:04 PM
70's Furniture...Too Funny. :) Looks like a good form to me.

Welcome to the Creek Bob!!!! We're just a chip-shot away from perfection....or....maybe rolling across the green, down the hill and wedged in between a bunch of rocks. :o

Bob Opsitos
02-07-2006, 5:20 PM
Thanks for the compliments on the peice. It's 6 inches tall with the top being 2 inches in diameter.

I don't really play the game either except under duress from people at work or my dad. When the weather is nice enough for golf I'd rather be on the motorcycle.

One of the execs here at work is going to be having a continiual inter-office golf tourney and the trophy changes hands with the winners each time they would play. I guess they wanted something more interesting that the standard plastic cup, so someone had the idea to get a wooden "cup" made. Since I use my cube as my woodturing gallery, someone found out that I turn and asked my if I would be willing.

The real peice will be segmented maple with a square base of some suitably dark wood ~ 1inch thick on which to mount the trophy standard engraved brass plaque. Likely have a matching top ring in the dark wood. Total trophy should be 11-12 inches tall with the top flare of the cup being 4 inches tapering to a 2-2.5" dia at the bottom.

Origionally it was going to be made from a 4x4 spindle of curly maple with a segmented dark wood top ring, but the hardwood supplier I normally use didn't have any 16/4 curly. So I picked up a 16/4 peice in regular hard maple. Then I thought that the dark top ring would not make the best glue joint face grain to end grain, especially since it will be hollowed to ~1/4" wall thickness.

Then the idea of a plain maple peice without the dark wood top ring started to seem less appealling, so I decided that a segmented main body in plain maple would have better visual interest that the spindle turned maple and allow for the segmented dark wood top ring. Of course had I decided this sooner I wouldn't have bought a 16/4 peice that now needs broken down into segments. Doh!

Bob

Bob Noles
02-07-2006, 6:02 PM
Hi Bob and welcome to SMC. I don't play golf either, but wanted to comment on your project. I think it looks good from where I sit and the wood is different in a refreshing kind of way.

Hope to see you around.