PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on EZ Smart guide sys. vs. Festool TS 55 and guide rail...

Matt Tawes
02-07-2006, 11:19 AM
I've been researching both of these products and reading reviews and thought I would pose the question here (I've also searched and read through the various posts here about each). I'm looking for a better more accuarte alternative to using my straight edge clamp and CS for sizing sheet goods. I will agree that the TS55 looks like a really nice tool but that aside my question more or less surrounds the guide rail system as to which from those who use them is really better and offers the best value for $$.

Bill Spievak
02-07-2006, 11:34 AM
I use both. The Festool is the tool of choice when I'm working inside a client's home. The dust collection is absolutely the best. I get compliments all the time for how little dust I leave. When I'm on a site where dust isn't an issue and where there are other trades I use the EZ. It doesn't attract the attention of the other trades and it works just great. Both do what they say they will do and both do it well. I think you should make your decision based upon whether the dust collection is of value. If I had to choose just one I really don't know what I'd do.:o

Jim Fancher
02-07-2006, 11:42 AM
How will the setup be used? What features are most important to you? Do you already own a circular saw that you like? If you do, in my opinion, the better value might be the EZ Smart system.

I've had both and the rails of the EZ Smart Guide seem more substantial. Also, you can get a gun case to carry your rails and clamps.

The Festool saw is absolutely wonderful. I love it and would love to have another one one day. But, I'm partial to the $15 blade available at any HD. I have a PC 325MAG with my setup and it's a wonderful saw too. I love the brake. Right now the 325MAG is almost impossible to find. That'll change soon, I'm sure.

With the Festool you are almost inclined to baby it. I wouldn't be surprised if most people wipe it down before returning it to it's Systainer. I can only imagine how anal people are with their rails. With the EZ setup, I'm comfortable with it. I don't abuse it, but I don't worry about it nearly as much as I did the Festool even though the cost was similar.

Bottom line, both are fantastic. I'd buy both again. Pick a system and enjoy the heck out of it. You won't regret your choice.

Ok, I'm rambling. The sinus medicine must have kicked in. :)

Oh ... I have just about all of the EZ products except for the new square and repeater. I might get both for my birthday next month. I'm also drooling over the Festool vac/ROS combo.

Matt Tawes
02-07-2006, 11:43 AM
Thanks Bill,

While DC is nice on a CS I don't work on jobsites just striclty build cabinets and funiture in shop. Just was curious what others thought after using either. Once sheet goods are sized I'd rather rely on TS for the rest.

Dennis Peacock
02-07-2006, 11:55 AM
I have both and use both. There are things I like about the Festool "system" and there's things I like about the EZ. Both have merits. It's what you are really looking to do with it, how much money you have, and what you are expecting from the tool you purchase. Both cut equally well.

Jay Knoll
02-07-2006, 1:39 PM
Matt

I have the Festool system, with a long guide rail and a MFT. If you do a search you'll find lots of spirited discussions on the pros and cons of each system. I'm convinced that either will do the job, there are a lot of factors in the decision making process that are probably unique to each purchaser.

Here are mine

My shop is the garage, no basement in FL so things have to be at least "semi movable"

I had an old crummy skil saw, no space for a big cabinet saw, and a small dewalt 10" bench top saw

I didn't have a good dust collection system for my hand power tools, no a good power sander

So I jumped off the cliff and bought a saw, additional long guide rail, MFT and the 6" rotex sander and the dust extractor

I have been very happy with these tools, the dust collection is very good to excellent (depending on how you're cutting/sanding)

I can cut panels very easily and the MFT gives me a great way to avoid a cross cut sled on the small bench top saw

There is a Festool users group on Yahoo with lots of additional information

John Lucas has a great website (although he seems to be taking a break right now) with lots of Festool information on it

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/men-fes.htm

Here are a couple of links to more information on the saw and the MFT

http://www.festoolusa.com/Web_files/ATF55E_circular_saw_manual.pdf

http://www.festoolusa.com/Web_files/Getting_the_most_from_the_MFT_multifunction_table. pdf

Glenn Clabo
02-07-2006, 2:22 PM
I have the EZ system and can say one thing...I don't use the TS for any sheet good work (or much of anything as a matter of fact) since I got it. It's extremely accurate and doesn't need any rework. The new square attachement was put to use last week and it saved half the time needed to size 3/4 sheets.

I went with the EZ system for strictly money reasons. I own a CS and didn't intend to buy into the Festool system...although the tools are very nice.

If you have a question about the EZ system there is a forum specifically for it here...
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
02-07-2006, 2:37 PM
I have the Festool TS55 saw and two rails, I just love it.

If I had a really good circular saw, I would have taken a very hard look at the EZ system, but as I needed a good saw with good DC, I picked the Festool.

I don't abuse any of my tools, I use them as tools.

I think, as someone else said, if you have a great circular saw, the EZ system may be the better bet, but if you are in need of a good saw, with outstanding DC, then the Festool it the way to go.

PS, I sure hope this thread does not go sideways! :D

Cheers!

Jeff Sudmeier
02-07-2006, 2:40 PM
I have the EZ system. The reason that I picked it up is money, everything I do is on a budget. I hold off on projects until I can affoard the material. I already had a very good circular saw so it was a no brainer. I am pretty sure I would have gotten the EZ even if I didn't have a saw for money reasons...

I am sure the festool products are great, in fact I have seen a few of them and they are. I just am not up to spending that kind of money at this point :)

Dan Racette
02-07-2006, 2:47 PM
I have the EZ system.
dan

Jerry White
02-07-2006, 3:01 PM
I have the EZ Smart System and love it. It has performed better than I ever expected. You will find satisfied users of both systems on this forum whose opinions are highly respected. I agree that you can't go wrong and either system will work for you.

The reason that I chose the EZ Smart is that I already owned MANY power tools that I liked and I didn't want to get into a system that would require tools that are dedicated to that system. (Read: more expensive) I saw no need to replace what I already had to get the guide system. Having said that, after getting into the EZ Smart, I did buy a Porter-Cable 325Mag saw because I saw the potential for better dust control with that saw.

Sawmill Creek has a manufacturers forum for the EZ Smart, where you can talk to Dino Markopoulos, the developer of EZ Smart. There is also a users group on Yahoo for the EZ Smart. Bob Marino is also a member of SMC and he is a representative for the Festool system.

Matt Tawes
02-07-2006, 3:02 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback it's providing some good insight. I'm not leaning either way but am contemplating purchasing one or the other systems sometime soon.
For my uses I have no intentions of considering having a guided CS system replace a tablesaw by any means, but hey...everyone works different and has different needs, and budgets. I rely on a number of tools, I build cabinets and furniture for a living and almost all work is done in shop not on a jobsite.
I love having a cleaner shop (I use DC on everything that I can via my cyclone or shop vac) thus a Festool sys. would be great but I also beleive in checking out options and saving money when possible. You cant make money if your spending it all the time on new tools and try to say that they will help you do a better job just to justify it.
All input is appeciated as I know from reading post in the past that lots of folks have used both sys. and many I've heard from own both Festool and EZ.

Steve Clardy
02-07-2006, 4:21 PM
I have the EZ system.
Already had a circular saw, so it was a no brainer for me. I got it primarily for job site use, but find I'm using it in the shop more and more. Very satisfied with it.

Dave Falkenstein
02-07-2006, 6:59 PM
I'm a Festool user, and have no experience with the EZ products. From what I have read and from talking to owners, I think either system will work well. Each system has features that are wonderful - neither system has all the features of the other one. I chose Festool because I liked the "system" concept - tools and accessories that work exceptionally well together. I'm very happy with my decision, and expect I would have been happy if I had chosen EZ. From the pricing comparisons I have done, there is not much price difference in the rails and rail accessories. The Festool tools (saws, routers, etc) are more expensive than many alternatives. I do not have a problem paying a higher price for top quality tools.

Matt Meiser
02-07-2006, 7:07 PM
Wow 13 posts on what is usually a HIGHLY volatile question and nothing out of line! Either that or the moderators are really on top of things today.

Anyway, I just got the EZ system at the beginning of January and am very happy with it so far. I bought it as a tool to knock down large panels, but I'm finding that it is going to be accurate enough to make all the panel cuts and more. I don't see that I'll be getting rid of my table saw though. I already had a good circular which drew me to the EZ side.

Bob Noles
02-07-2006, 7:42 PM
Matt,

I only have experience with the EZ system and could not enjoy my hobby without it. I feel so much safer using it than my table saw and it gives me all the accuracy I could ask for. I have a few additional components on order with Dino at this time and if they give me the added flexibility I am hoping for, my table saw is going on the selling block. More shop space, more safety, more economical, more flexible and more mobility. IMHO what more could I ask for.

Richard Wolf
02-07-2006, 8:28 PM
I am a Festool user. I am not a tool snob but feel it is very important to portary a professional image when on a job. The Festool system makes things look like you are organized and well equipped. I also started buying Festool because I believe the tools can handle daily use at construction sites.
I'm sure the EZ system works but the Festool was a better choice for me.

Richard

Bill Fields
02-07-2006, 8:48 PM
Matt

I have the EZ full system, and, like a couple of the posts, could dispense with the TS to get to final precise panel parts for cabinet work. Not planning to dump the TS anytime soon, but the Smart Table, Guides etc. make precision EZ.

Aslo, like some of the posts, I would not like to be locked into anyone's "system".

BILL FIELDS

Gary Herrmann
02-07-2006, 9:26 PM
I've got the EZ. Already had a CS, and didn't want to spend the $ on the Festool at the time. At some time in the future, I may get the Festool, but it will depend on how much work I continue to do with sheet goods. I've handled Festools and was very impressed with their design and construction.

Burt Waddell
02-07-2006, 9:37 PM
I'm a happy EZ Smart User. I run a small cabinet shop and recently I am starting to see the possibility of a shop without a table saw. I especially like the new "Cabinet maker" from EZ Smart. That combo of the Square and repeater sure make life easier. If I had to choose one thing that really makes me like the EZ System, it is the ability to make repeat cuts without measuring.

Pete Harbin
02-07-2006, 11:14 PM
Another happy EZ Smart user here. Like others had mentioned, I already had a nice circular saw and several routers, so the EZ system made sense to me to add a guided rail system to my shop. Boy do I love this thing! I can cut just about anything with the smart clamps and the rails. It's totally portable, and the clamps act as their own stand, so you can put and cut your piece anywhere...very cool. :) I have the older version of the router guide, so I may look to upgrade to the new version sometime, as you can also use other tools, like a powered hand planer too.

Excellent thread guys...this is very nice!

Pete

Frank Pellow
02-08-2006, 5:26 AM
Also, like some of the posts, I would not like to be locked into anyone's "system".
BILL FIELDS
I guess that I am one of those guys who is locked in. But, I am very happy in my "Festool jail". :) Of course, there is far far more to the Festool system than the GTS (Guided Tool System) aspect.

I had not heard of the EZ System when I purchased my first few Festool tools, but I needed good repacement tools anyway, so I doubt that knowing about EZ would have made a difference.

I certainly like what I read about the EZ system and I expect that, if I had that coupled with some quality tools, I would also be happy.

Ken Salisbury
02-08-2006, 10:20 AM
Wow 13 posts on what is usually a HIGHLY volatile question and nothing out of line! Either that or the moderators are really on top of things today.

My congratulations in this regard ! Is'nt it nice to be civil :)

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif

Dan Racette
02-08-2006, 2:03 PM
Ken, Matt, I agree, nice to see some civility!