PDA

View Full Version : Saw Purge

Eric Brown
04-05-2024, 10:34 AM
At a company I used to work for one of the workers there gave me a bunch of old saws that his father left in the garage. Seems his father sharpened saws and after his father passed, he had no interest in them. There are also saws I collected. Decided to lay them out and determine which to keep, sell, give away, or (gasp) recycle. So there are about 54 saws on my bench. This isn't all of them, but most. The ones on the right (Last picture) I will keep or sell. The rest need to be sorted. I will look at the handles to see if broke. See if the saw plate is straight. How much rust. Can a logo be seen? Those kinds of things. At a glance it looks like at least half are going to be recycled.
If any interest, let me know.

steven c newman
04-05-2024, 11:03 AM
I have taken 2 loads of "Excess" saws down to the local Lutheran's Thrift Store....Just dropped them off.

Eric Brown
04-05-2024, 11:30 AM
Just did a quick sort. Have 16 with bent blades and broken handles. Have 7 with bend blades and good handles. Have about 7 straight with good handles. The rest look pretty good or have something unusual.
Will probably remove the hardware from the 16 and dispose of them. The ones with good handles will be removed and the blades disposed of.
I do not want to give rust saws with bent blades and broken handles to anyone who doesn't know better.

Perhaps with Matt Cianci's saw sharpening book coming out, practice blades?

So, if anybody wants practice blades, I will remove the broken handles and clean the majority of the rust off. Let me know.

Jimmy Harris
04-05-2024, 11:51 AM
Looks like you've got quite a collection there! Lots of junk, but lots of nice saws as well. I'd probably wind up keeping about half of those, so my wife is thankful I'm not in your shoes.

Jim Koepke
04-05-2024, 12:41 PM
The hardware (saw nuts) often come in handy. There are often others here who need a one two or a few. The handles are also often desired by others by often the holes will not line up even with saws of the same style and maker. It can be a pain trying to drill or punch new holes in a saw plate but can be done.

Looks like it will keep you busy an out of trouble for a few days. :D

jtk

Nicholas Lawrence
04-05-2024, 1:13 PM
Can’t believe you aren’t painting them.

Jim Koepke
04-05-2024, 3:58 PM

That might be a good option for some of the lesser saws that are bent. Maybe a high school or local college art class would love to have them.

jtk

Eric Brown
04-05-2024, 5:02 PM

While I do believe in beautiful tools, they need to be in good working condition. Considering the amount ow work these would need to remove rust , straighten and then sharpen, plus making new handles, it just isn't worth it. There are better saws available for next to nothing at yard sales and tool dealers. Do you want to paint them?

Eric Brown
04-05-2024, 5:14 PM
That might be a good option for some of the lesser saws that are bent. Maybe a high school or local college art class would love to have them.

jtk

Found this and looks interesting. https://thesawlady.com/

Nicholas Lawrence
04-05-2024, 9:39 PM
It was a joke. Years ago people used to complain about seeing saws for sale that somebody had ruined by painting them.

steven c newman
04-05-2024, 10:53 PM
There is nothing that ticks me off more, than seeing a Painted Handsaw while out on Rust Hunts....

Eric Brown
04-06-2024, 11:44 AM
Ok, I've sorted and have about ten full sized saws with good handles and fairly straight plates. If you would like a saw, let me know what type you are looking for. Cross-cut or Rip.
I can send you pictures and you can choose. All I'm asking is $20 to cover shipping. Includes saws made by Millers Falls, Disston, Atkins and some typical Warranted Superior (with less rounded handles).
Send a PM or e-mail if interested.

John C Cox
04-06-2024, 12:32 PM
Remember, broken saw plates make fine scraper stock. Knife makers also like old saw plate material for carbon steel knives. It's not the hardest stuff, but it is generally fine grained and makes a nice general purpose kitchen or thin hunting knife.

Lee Schierer
04-06-2024, 12:54 PM
The two in the first photo to the left with the finger holes in the handle resemble the Disston saws I inherited from my Grandfather. You might want to examine them closely.

Eric Brown
04-06-2024, 1:05 PM
Remember, broken saw plates make fine scraper stock. Knife makers also like old saw plate material for carbon steel knives. It's not the hardest stuff, but it is generally fine grained and makes a nice general purpose kitchen or thin hunting knife.

Yes, but I'm not willing to do the work. Of the saws that had both bent plates and broken handles, I ended up with over 20lbs of metal. Most were common thickness, one was thin. If you want some just pay for shipping.
You can clean and shape as you wish.

Eric Brown
04-06-2024, 1:10 PM
The two in the first photo to the left with the finger holes in the handle resemble the Disston saws I inherited from my Grandfather. You might want to examine them closely.

Yes, but those two both had bend plates. The handles have been removed and saved for? I have a couple more similar and need to see if their handles are ok. Bishop also made similar saws. Of these two handles one medallion is marked Disston, the other is Warranted Superior. The handles are slightly different.

Jim Koepke
04-06-2024, 3:11 PM
I see painted saws differently than most. Usually the saw that has been painted is not one I would want for my shop. Saw one once for $10 in an antique/second hand store. It looked to be a 1960s hardware store saw. I bought it and gave it to me dad. He had it for years until he had to downsize and he gave it back to me. It now hangs in my shop.

It can be seen behind the bandsaw, above the Route 66 sign.

jtk

Mel Fulks
04-06-2024, 3:35 PM
You can always make ‘card’ scrapers out of them, especially the ones that “don’t shoot straight” anymore. Be sure to get an agate
burnisher . They are the best , and they also burnish your reputation for good work.

Eric Brown
04-06-2024, 4:00 PM
I see painted saws differently than most. Usually the saw that has been painted is not one I would want for my shop. Saw one once for $10 in an antique/second hand store. It looked to be a 1960s hardware store saw. I bought it and gave it to me dad. He had it for years until he had to downsize and he gave it back to me. It now hangs in my shop.

It can be seen behind the bandsaw, above the Route 66 sign.

jtk

It was for a worth cause then wasn't it? Anytime I pick up one of my families tools it brings back good memories. It's a good reminder not just of them, but our own mortality.
Jim, you think any of your kids will appreciate it? Might help to put a label on the back telling it's story. I once did that for a picture frame I made but I made it into a QR Code (2-D Barcode).

Eric Brown
04-06-2024, 4:01 PM
You can always make ‘card’ scrapers out of them, especially the ones that “don’t shoot straight” anymore. Be sure to get an agate
burnisher . They are the best , and they also burnish your reputation for good work.

How many you want Mel? I have over 20lbs of rusty plates.

Eric Brown
04-06-2024, 4:06 PM
Quick list, I have one rip Disston 5 1/2TPI, three Millers Falls X-Cut two different TPI, an Adkins X-Cut, Unmarked X-Cut teflon coated, Rockwell fine rip.

Mel Fulks
04-06-2024, 4:32 PM
Thanks ,Eric but I’m retired ….so I started hoarding a long time ago. You can also cut the saws down between any bent sections and
make smaller saws . If you don’t want to re- tooth them ,easy to get them done by a sharpening shop.
But back to the scrapers , they were at least 6 dollars each decades ago. All the Old Timers made their own, from old saws . They
would be aghast at the idea of BUYING a scraper. Don’t toss them , now that MEL had done a commercial for you business will grow !

Mel Fulks
04-06-2024, 5:12 PM
It was a joke. Years ago people used to complain about seeing saws for sale that somebody had ruined by painting them.

YES , but some of the lesser art work can be painted over ,and the steel will not have been eaten up by rust. I think even Mike
Angelo painted over some of HIS work. Can’t resist posting my favorite story of Mike Angelo, again. When he finished carving marble
Moses ,he tapped him with his wooden mallet and said to Moses “ Now Speak !” . Sadly, no one wrote down what Moses said to Mike.

Jim Koepke
04-06-2024, 8:35 PM
It was for a worth cause then wasn't it? Anytime I pick up one of my families tools it brings back good memories. It's a good reminder not just of them, but our own mortality.
Jim, you think any of your kids will appreciate it? Might help to put a label on the back telling it's story. I once did that for a picture frame I made but I made it into a QR Code (2-D Barcode).

I'll have to put a note on the back. With 4 kids and 8 grandchildren I hope some of them will appreciate some of my stuff.

If nothing else they can have an estate sale and a big party afterwards.

jtk

Kent A Bathurst
04-07-2024, 2:43 PM
There is nothing that ticks me off more, than seeing a Painted Handsaw while out on Rust Hunts....

I am confident in my assessment that you are not their target market, and they are unperturbed by your disdain.

Having said that, keep up the good work. I always enjoy what you do, how you do it, and what you have to say. Please don't let up.

Jimmy Harris
04-08-2024, 2:20 PM
I wouldn't give up on a saw just because the plate was bent, unless they're kinked. I've reworked several bent saw plates and once straightened, they seem to stay straight. One of my favorite saws, a D-16, came to me with a pretty good bend in the toe. Often times it's not too much work, maybe a minute or two. Though sometimes it requires re-tensioning the plate, which is a bit more work, though doable. Then sometimes they're not worth the effort, especially if the saw has other problems.

Eric Brown
04-08-2024, 2:40 PM
I wouldn't give up on a saw just because the plate was bent, unless they're kinked. I've reworked several bent saw plates and once straightened, they seem to stay straight. One of my favorite saws, a D-16, came to me with a pretty good bend in the toe. Often times it's not too much work, maybe a minute or two. Though sometimes it requires re-tensioning the plate, which is a bit more work, though doable. Then sometimes they're not worth the effort, especially if the saw has other problems.

Most the saws I gave up on had broken handles, rusty plates, and were bent. Ones that weren't so bad I'm trying to make respectable before giving away. I am not sharpening. My eyes and hand coordination just isn't good enough anymore.
Also, some may disagree, but the coarser saws, say 5 PPI filed rip just are not wanted by many. So, if rusty and bent I will take off the handle.

Jimmy Harris
04-08-2024, 3:18 PM
Most the saws I gave up on had broken handles, rusty plates, and were bent. Ones that weren't so bad I'm trying to make respectable before giving away. I am not sharpening. My eyes and hand coordination just isn't good enough anymore.
Also, some may disagree, but the coarser saws, say 5 PPI filed rip just are not wanted by many. So, if rusty and bent I will take off the handle.
Ouch! Those are the ones that are hardest to come by! I've never actually seen one in the wild. I had to buy my D8 5 PPI online after about a year and half of looking locally and coming up blank. I probably hit up 200 antique stores, estate sales, and yard sales in that time. And I use that saw a lot!

But I get it. I'd bet most hand tool users would sooner use their bandsaw or table saw than pull out a coarse rip saw. So while there aren't many of them out there, there's probably not much demand either.

I just hate to see one of those rare birds fall out of circulation. But I don't hate it enough to try to buy something I don't need.

steven c newman
04-08-2024, 3:27 PM
This one?
D8 ( no hyphen, pre 1928) 28" long, 5-1/2 PPI.....from an Estate Sale...$1
Kind of like it, for doing resaw work...

Eric Brown
04-08-2024, 3:30 PM
Ouch! Those are the ones that are hardest to come by! I've never actually seen one in the wild. I had to buy my D8 5 PPI online after about a year and half of looking locally and coming up blank. I probably hit up 200 antique stores, estate sales, and yard sales in that time. And I use that saw a lot!

But I get it. I'd bet most hand tool users would sooner use their bandsaw or table saw than pull out a coarse rip saw. So while there aren't many of them out there, there's probably not much demand either.

I just hate to see one of those rare birds fall out of circulation. But I don't hate it enough to try to buy something I don't need.

If you want I can send a couple to you for shipping cost. Probably about $20. They will be rusty with a single bend if I recall.

Jim Koepke
04-08-2024, 3:30 PM
Ouch! Those are the ones that are hardest to come by! I've never actually seen one in the wild. I had to buy my D8 5 PPI online after about a year and half of looking locally and coming up blank.

I know how your feel. Many years ago a Lakside D8 saw of mine was retoothed to 4-1/2 ppi. It saved a bit of time ripping long pieces of ash. The plate was a touch thin and on one hard stroke the plate snapped. Now most of my ripping is done with a Disston D8 at 6 ppi.

jtk

Jimmy Harris
04-09-2024, 9:47 AM
Yup. That's it. Only 5 ppi and it ran me about $50.

Crosscut saws are a dime a dozen here. Rip saws can be found, but never less than 7 ppi. Backsaws made prior to the 1970's are pretty scarce as well. Everyone and their dog is selling braces, but no one's got the bits to go with them. Bucksaws are everywhere and priced in reverse. The better the condition, the cheaper they are. Apparently, the only people buying them are restaurants, and they only want the most rusted and rustic looking ones for their walls.

Eric Brown
04-09-2024, 4:00 PM

Crosscut saws are a dime a dozen here. Rip saws can be found, but never less than 7 ppi. Backsaws made prior to the 1970's are pretty scarce as well. Everyone and their dog is selling braces, but no one's got the bits to go with them. Bucksaws are everywhere and priced in reverse. The better the condition, the cheaper they are. Apparently, the only people buying them are restaurants, and they only want the most rusted and rustic looking ones for their walls.

Here is one on e-bay for you to consider. How about 4 TPI? 28" length. Starting at $.99 with $20 shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126410205722?itmmeta=01HV26SDFP9H6KP2110FZH0KHK&hash=item1d6ea2aa1a:g:NL4AAOSw1IxmBOuc&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAAwCOyom9c1DkJ%2FqVsJfqR4VUcO4c rt5FXZ3%2Feet6YZEML35uB%2BRsNZO8iVsj4MAsyAgwmZaL%2 FaqffQcQNVY%2FYWYpOg09bso7Rkp%2Bhfehc3ehIaORfo55Zb h8VlR2qHX9riE0pquCwZeiiwcmNoCiLZDnBjKfUEnplbsYVkui 0bALMVxRl0DPKzps%2Fk%2BqEnGGVvXEUWkCDjp7hfJgq%2BwU EJ0Rj7t5HK65Ze7BJTtpeH5w%2BSlUtcQVsH%2FIFbZxr7Mwk% 2BQ%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_jX5cbYYw

Eric Brown
04-09-2024, 6:44 PM

Looked through my saw plate pile to see how many were rip large teeth. I had one that was 4 1/2 TPI but it had issues. It looks like it maybe lost an inch or so in width, the end was broke off to 23", and the plate was bent is an S shape. Too rusty to mess with. Did have another one though that had a slight bend 6 TPI. Tried straightening and it looks pretty good. So I removed all the rust and slipped the original handle on it. I will finish this saw.
In the pictures below you can see the 4 1/2 at the bottom and the 6 at the top. Then pictures of the cleaned up 6. Sorry handle looks dark. It's dirty but in decent shape. Anyone interested?

Jimmy Harris
04-10-2024, 9:33 AM
Here is one on e-bay for you to consider. How about 4 TPI? 28" length. Starting at $.99 with $20 shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126410205722?itmmeta=01HV26SDFP9H6KP2110FZH0KHK&hash=item1d6ea2aa1a:g:NL4AAOSw1IxmBOuc&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAAwCOyom9c1DkJ%2FqVsJfqR4VUcO4c rt5FXZ3%2Feet6YZEML35uB%2BRsNZO8iVsj4MAsyAgwmZaL%2 FaqffQcQNVY%2FYWYpOg09bso7Rkp%2Bhfehc3ehIaORfo55Zb h8VlR2qHX9riE0pquCwZeiiwcmNoCiLZDnBjKfUEnplbsYVkui 0bALMVxRl0DPKzps%2Fk%2BqEnGGVvXEUWkCDjp7hfJgq%2BwU EJ0Rj7t5HK65Ze7BJTtpeH5w%2BSlUtcQVsH%2FIFbZxr7Mwk% 2BQ%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_jX5cbYYw
I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm good. My saw collection is already completed. Well, I would like to add more, but I work in a garage with very limited space, so I have to keep my tool collection limited. So if something new comes in, something old is going to have to go out to make room for it. So I try to keep only the most essential tools on hand. Which as far as saws go, means I'm sticking with just 10 saws to do everything I do. A resaw, a rip, a crosscut, a tenon, a carcass, a dovetail, a ryoba, a flush cut, a coping saw, and a hacksaw.

Even finding room for 10 saws isn't easy. A problem made doubly hard by the fact that I can't leave any out in the open air, or they'll rust.

Eric Brown
04-10-2024, 2:42 PM
Looked through my saw plate pile to see how many were rip large teeth. I had one that was 4 1/2 TPI but it had issues. It looks like it maybe lost an inch or so in width, the end was broke off to 23", and the plate was bent is an S shape. Too rusty to mess with. Did have another one though that had a slight bend 6 TPI. Tried straightening and it looks pretty good. So I removed all the rust and slipped the original handle on it. I will finish this saw.
In the pictures below you can see the 4 1/2 at the bottom and the 6 at the top. Then pictures of the cleaned up 6. Sorry handle looks dark. It's dirty but in decent shape. Anyone interested?

Cleaned up the handle and did some research. From what I can tell, this is a Lakeside L-100. This looks like the earlier Lakeside, before they added the Montgomery Ward Logo. Comparing to a Disston D-8, this one has a larger thumbhole
and wheat carving on the handle.

Eric Brown
04-10-2024, 5:44 PM
Decided to clean another one with a slightly different handle. Fully rusted, handle bottom split and nailed. Medallion is typical Warranted Superior. Took the handle off and started scraping the surface down and found an etching. Took it gentle because the etching looked light. Surprise! It is a Lockwood Taylor Hardware Company. Never heard of them. Did some research and found they were operating under that name from 1892 to 1917. So I'll clean this one carefully.
Here are before and during clean-up pictures: