PDA

View Full Version : Shop tidbits...

Ken Fitzgerald
04-03-2024, 9:13 PM
A few weeks ago, the mowing season began here. While in the shed, I was looking for something and checking the open containers on the bench in there and I noticed a right-angle adapter. Looking at it, I couldn't figure what it fit. I put it back into the container and continued the search for something relating to the first mowing of the season.

For years, I have had a slow leak in my air and air compressor system. Keeping in mind, I am deaf hearing with a cochlear implant and a hearing aid, I couldn't determine where the leak was originating. Thus I got in the habit of turning off the air compressor daily. Then one day last week, I wanted to bleed off the air pressure quickly, so I pulled out on the ring for the safety overpressure valve. That bled off the pressure quickly and I reset it. Since then, I have turned off the air compressor with for example 105 psi and the next morning found the same or nearly the same pressure when I came into the shop. Before, 2-3 hours after I shut the compressor off, it would bleed off all the pressure.

The week prior to that, I was gluing up the field boards for the dining table I am building. I joined the boards using biscuits. I noticed in the case for the biscuit/plate joiner a right-angle adapter. Imagine my surprise I found that it could replace the dust bag. Using an adapter from my Bosch ROS, I was able to connect the biscuit joiner to my shop vac! Amazingly cleaner cutting the biscuit slots with it connected to my shop vac!

This afternoon, it dawned on me, I saw the same adapter in the container on the bench in the shed. The only two woodworking tools in my shop that have ever resided in that shed are my Ridgid TS and my PC8529 router. Could it be? I went to the shed, grabbed that adapter and went to my shop. Sure enough! That is the same adapter used on the biscuit/plate joiner and it fits my router. Now I look forward to routing the tenons for the breadboard edge on the field of the dining table!

Ron Citerone
04-03-2024, 9:49 PM
I know what you mean Ken.

I was at the cottage for the past 3 days thinking when I get home I need to start tuning up that old plane the I got years ago from who knows where. Well I pick it up and it has some rust pretty much everywhere. I run it on the edge of a piece of walnut and it cuts a perfect shaving. Go figure!

Bruce Wrenn
04-03-2024, 9:49 PM
I most too often find forgotten items in the shop. What really excites me is when I discover another use for something other thsn intended purposed.

Maurice Mcmurry
04-03-2024, 9:56 PM
I sure can relate. It takes so much "stuff" to have a shop and dreams of doing things. Keeping track of it all is a big job. Your dining table with breadboard ends is going to be a fun project!

Jim Becker
04-04-2024, 10:36 AM
Always a good day when some little mystery gets solved!

Richard Coers
04-04-2024, 12:27 PM
I swear everyone has their own little Bermuda Triangle. Items disappear and suddenly pop back out in plain sight!

Kevin Jenness
04-04-2024, 12:52 PM
I recently gave the nickel shop tour to a maker of Uillean pipes. He recounted making a clever jig for a specific part and deciding to store it in a place that he would remember in his cluttered shop. When he opened up the drawer he found an earlier version of the same jig which he had forgotten about.

Patty Hann
04-04-2024, 5:04 PM
I swear everyone has their own little Bermuda Triangle. Items disappear and suddenly pop back out in plain sight!
I have at least a half dozen Bermuda Triangles --aka Wormholes-- in my house.
Set "thing" down right next to me, go to pick it up, it's gone... nowhere to be seen. Turns up a week later in part of the house I seldom visit.

I recently gave the nickel shop tour to a maker of Uillean pipes. He recounted making a clever jig for a specific part and deciding to store it in a place that he would remember in his cluttered shop. When he opened up the drawer he found an earlier version of the same jig which he had forgotten about.
^^^^ THIS too ^^^^.

Tom Blank
04-05-2024, 12:22 AM
On occasion I find a simple jig or fixture I made and cannot for the life of me remember what it was for. All jigs and fixtures now get a piece of blue tape with a clear identification of what project/process it is for. Small stuff goes in a baggie with a note. I also now take pictures of the setup on the tool/machine in question with the jig and work piece in place. Those pix are all downloaded and filed in folders for each project.

Getting old is not for the weak or faint of heart.

TB

Maurice Mcmurry
04-05-2024, 9:03 AM
When St. Anthony fails to help me find things I resort to blaming someone for borrowing or stealing the item. I usually find the thing, right where I left, it not long after making the accusation. I lost the special long wing bolt that holds the blade guard on the vintage Sears radial arm saw. I searched for that for several years. Here is what the old shop looked like on the day I found it.

Kevin Jenness
04-05-2024, 9:07 AM
When St. Anthony fails to help me find things I resort to blaming someone for borrowing or stealing the item. I usually find the thing, right where I left, it not long after making the accusation. I lost the special long wing bolt that holds the blade guard on the vintage Sears radial arm saw. I searched for that for several years. Here is what the old shop looked like on the day I found it.

I have never accused anyone of nicking tools but when I lose them and then find them in the place I am sure I looked twice I have a strong suspicion that someone is messing with me.

George Yetka
04-05-2024, 9:25 AM
Those relief valves, like the ones on water heater, are convienient to use for quick draining but the rubber gaskets in both get hard after a while and when they sit against the sealing surface they get imprinted. then when you use them they dont always reseat in the same position and the previous imprint will cause a leak. I always caution people to not use the relief valve in this way you will develop a drip/leak. Instead put a loose male quick connect in somewhere, or better yet one with a ball valve and drain down that way.

Its always nice finding all the parts to something and reuniting them. Or it was after years of small kids im getting board of the feeling as everything they get they almost always scatter to the four points of the house.

glenn bradley
04-05-2024, 9:34 AM
I am convinced that all shops have mischievous elves. I started a spreadsheet many years ago to keep track of seldom used items. It now has 9 sheets and is hundreds of lines. I can find almost anything :D. Whenever I am looking for something that is not on the sheet I am sure to add it once I find that place I put it that made perfect sense at the time. The old noggin ain't what it once was and the spreadsheet helps fill in the holes.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-05-2024, 12:52 PM
I'm in the middle of a build. Though I have an Oneida DC on my larger tools, my portable power tools have always lacked DC. I look at my shop right now, and I could easily spend a couple hours just sweeping and vacuuming up walnut "sawdust/router dust". It will be done before I even start to think of finishing!!!! I think when this table build is over, I am going to investigate an over the table DC adapter/guard/splitter from my table saw. I just ordered a dust collection adapter for my Mikita trim router and my cordless Makita circular saw. I am headed to the shop to mortise the breadboard sides for the table and then route the tenons on the field boards for the table. Since finding the DC adapter for my PC 8529 router, it will be used on the tenoning with the vacuum attached and running.

Ron Selzer
04-06-2024, 7:40 AM
I'm in the middle of a build. Though I have an Oneida DC on my larger tools, my portable power tools have always lacked DC. I look at my shop right now, and I could easily spend a couple hours just sweeping and vacuuming up walnut "sawdust/router dust". It will be done before I even start to think of finishing!!!! I think when this table build is over, I am going to investigate an over the table DC adapter/guard/splitter from my table saw. I just ordered a dust collection adapter for my Mikita trim router and my cordless Makita circular saw. I am headed to the shop to mortise the breadboard sides for the table and then route the tenons on the field boards for the table. Since finding the DC adapter for my PC 8529 router, it will be used on the tenoning with the vacuum attached and running.

Some years back I made a concerned effort to hook all portable tools in the shop up to dust collection. All started due to using a router and then buying a baseplate that collected chips. Soon led to a dedicated vacuum/dust deputy hooked to 2' pvc piping network. Most tools used in the shop now are hooked to dust collection, still have a way to go to have all tools hooked up. Does make it nicer to work down in the shop.
Ron

Rod Sheridan
04-07-2024, 8:01 AM
Ken, you’re really going to like having over blade dust collection on your saw, it’s amazing how much comes off the top of the blade.

As for portable tools, yes I always use them with a vacuum, I have an auto start one, really convenient for things like biscuit joiners.

Regards, Rod

Brian Deakin
04-13-2024, 5:15 AM
After numerous occasions of misplacing tools, finding tools I had forgot I had an not being able to remember why I have a small number of screws in a plastic bag in a drawer I have taken the following approach

(1) Label items using 3M 20 60 tape
(2) Purchase a small A-Z (https://mail.aol.com/d/compose/3748307761#) note book and make a list of items /tools You can then look at the book to refresh your memory( or you could use your computer)
(3) If anyone borrows a tool consider asking them to hold the tool against their chest and use your mobile phone to photograph them

Son.. No dad I did not borrow your drill driver
Dad.. Yes you did I have a photograph of you holding it which is time date and location stamped

Additionally I have set up a file on the computer called house In this file I store information for each room in the house
Eg (https://mail.aol.com/d/compose/3748307761#) bathroom
A short summery of how to replace the tap cartridge and a link to the replacement part

This file will also help the wife when I pass or can be given to a future owner of the property

Alan Lightstone
04-13-2024, 8:25 AM
I keep an updated list of everything in my shop, with all the cabinets numbered. When I get something new, I label the cabinet on the outside with a Dymo label, or in the plastic container with that Dymo label, and then put that location in a book.

Does this prevent me from not being able to find things? Not totally, but when I do find it, the location gets written down in that loose leaf book. When there's enough handwritten locations I have written down, I enter them into the Excel spreadsheet and print out a new book.

OCD - perhaps, probably (it was useful keeping people alive at work), but I do spend less time finding things. And don't talk to me about all the documents I scan. Time spent up front, seconds spent searching when you need things.

Dave Zellers
04-14-2024, 1:14 AM
I just now am reading this thread for the first time, and in the middle, I'm thinking I'll share my new found labeling obsession. Then I get to the end and see that Brian and Alan have beaten me to it.

But yeah, after years of experiencing everything listed above, I do my best to label everything. Maybe with a label maker, maybe with a sharpie on the outside of a box. Gone are the days where I could remember everything I did, why I did it, and what it was for. The other thing I do is when a tool comes with spare parts, they go in a baggie and are labeled exactly what tool they are from and what they are for and then stored in the spare parts drawer with the others. I've had it with *knowing* I have that spare part but not being able to find it.

As stated above, my most cringe worthy moment was making a jig for a task and then later finding I had already made that jig. UGH.

I'm now a labeling fool and have no problem inserting sub-labels with things explaining exactly what needs to be known. That's partly for me and partly for those that may have to deal with what I leave behind.

The other thing is, labels help you remember. As you are looking for something, you see the labels and you are reminded of where things are.

Jim Becker
04-14-2024, 9:19 AM
Yea, my labels have gotten "more detailed"... 'cause remembering is harder. LOL

Bob Cooper
04-16-2024, 4:34 AM
I have a dymo label maker and have been having issues with the labels sticking well to poly coated cabinet drawers. Also labels are simple one line style. Have you guys found a labeling system that works well for you? I’m curious if you need multiple lines per label or individual type labels

Cameron Wood
04-16-2024, 10:50 AM
I have a dymo label maker and have been having issues with the labels sticking well to poly coated cabinet drawers. Also labels are simple one line style. Have you guys found a labeling system that works well for you? I’m curious if you need multiple lines per label or individual type labels

I didn't know those were still made. In general, label makers i.e. Brother are the standard- multiple tape colors, print sizes, type faces, etc.. The labels last for many years in the weather.

Jim Becker
04-16-2024, 12:42 PM
I don't have any issues with labels from my P-Touch sticking to anything, for the most part.

Ron Selzer
04-16-2024, 1:51 PM
wash the surface with alcohol, let dry then apply the label.
Ron

Derek Meyer
04-16-2024, 7:33 PM
I have a Brother P-Touch Cube label printer, and the labels stick very well to most things. You can get models that will do 2, 5 or up to 17 lines per label. Mine is the 5 line model. It uses an app on your phone to design the labels and prints via Bluetooth.

Derek

Brian Deakin
04-17-2024, 3:56 AM
John K Jordan posted the idea of using 3M 2060 tape to label items and other uses

It is expensive but I find it very useful You simply write on it using a sharpie or similar and attach it to the item
It is very useful for labeling items in plastic bags
Example I am repairing a bathroom light and waiting for a ballast to arrive I have put the holding screws in a plastic bag and used the 2060 tape to label them

Carl Beckett
04-17-2024, 7:49 AM
This is a win!

Unfortunately I can not count the number of times I have kept something (for years even) and when the need came and I went to look for it, I couldnt find it. Disorganization.

I have to sheepishly admit I have even bought something new, simply because I could not find the one I had already. Which I had to ask myself 'why save something if you cant find it when you need it - may as well not have it'.

Downsizing, and some organization helped me.

At the same time I share your satisfaction when the connection is made and the light goes off. Well done!

Cameron Wood
04-17-2024, 12:24 PM
I just bought a +$100 box of concrete anchors as I thought I was out of that size, and found a mostly full box after. Now there is an 8 year supply instead of a 3 year supply.

For me, It's often about re-boxing and moving things around to fit available space in my small shop & storage. When looking for something, it may not be where I remember nor look like what I remember.