PDA

View Full Version : Beech----HF

Gary Max
02-07-2006, 10:13 AM
This hunk of Beech has been a real bear to turn. She is about 10 1/2 by 4 1/4 tall. I spent the better part of two days working on this thing which is way to much time. For some reason this wood was harder than a rock. It just has one coat of finish on it now.

Bob Noles
02-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Gary,

Even though it was difficult turning, it turned out nice and because it was as hard as a rock, it should make a good user if that is in the cards.

Nice job and thanks for showing it.

Dave Wimmer
02-07-2006, 12:22 PM
[quote=Gary Max] I spent the better part of two days working on this thing which is way to much time.

Depends on if you are doing it for fun or profit. Turning for me is a way to keep retirement from being boring. As it is I don't really know where I ever found time to work.

Gary Max
02-07-2006, 12:52 PM
Dave it's how I put food on the table. We do a lot of shows in the fall.

Bernie Weishapl
02-07-2006, 1:45 PM
You did a great job on it Gary. Looks very nice. Sounds like that beech was as hard as that black locust I just got done turning. That was like turning concrete.

Mike Ramsey
02-07-2006, 1:54 PM
Gary, Looks good from here! Did my first hollow form this past weekend
and it was an experience! Not as tough as yours, mine is spalted
Hackberry. The biggest problem other than learning to use the Sorby
swanneck was sanding the inside , outside looks purty good but the inside
still needs more sanding. Still debating on the best way to go about it...

Dave Wimmer
02-07-2006, 2:30 PM
Gary, I envy you to be able to do so. If I depended on my turning, we would probably starve.
:)

Gary Max
02-07-2006, 2:37 PM
Dave if you buy beans in 25 lb bags you can save a bunch of money.
Two gardens and a deer in the deep freeze also helps. Oh plus I live real close to a nice lake.

Corey Hallagan
02-07-2006, 4:02 PM
Looks good Gary, I think you did good!

Corey

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-07-2006, 4:15 PM
Very nice effort, Gary.

Bruce

John Hart
02-07-2006, 4:36 PM
I remember back a bit when Gary Max inspired me to put this HUGE piece of poplar on my lathe and give it a try. That one took too long too. After a week, I had just about had it. I didn't even like it anymore! So I feel for ya Gary....'cept yours looks ALOT better!!!!:)