PDA

View Full Version : SMC turners

Dave Wimmer
02-07-2006, 9:34 AM
I notice most or all the turners here have a deep appreciation for the wood unlike some on other forums. In my opinion it is a shame to turn a nice piece and then cover the wood with paint. A little color is OK, but paint just makes the turning look like pottery. I guess I'm too much of a tradionalist. I don't like guns with plastic stocks and stainless steel metal.
I would be interested in the opinions of the group.

Andy Hoyt
02-07-2006, 9:42 AM
Dave - I totally agree with you. After spending countless amounts of valuable time on creating something - round or flat - and getting to know the wood on an intimate level I do feel that it's bordering on the criminal to cover it up with paint.

A few years ago I built two identical desks for my wife and daughter in cherry. Got 'em done and hen had to go away for a few days. Upon my return I discovered both had been painted black. Agggh!

Then again, here's an item (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25773) I turned last fall that my wife messed around with, and I was actually pleased.

Glad you posted this and looking forward to reading more comments.

tod evans
02-07-2006, 9:45 AM
dave, most of what i turn/build is for customers on comission so they dictate finish. what i do for me is oil-n-lacquer....02 tod

Keith Burns
02-07-2006, 9:53 AM
Dave, I agree with you on this. Some coloring and embelishment is fine but to make it look like something other than a "wood" turning ...not for me.

Jim Becker
02-07-2006, 10:15 AM
The wonderful thing about art like this is you can choose to celebrate the material, the form or both. There is room for all kind of things.

One of the current trends in "turning" is major carving and/or reconstruction, for example. Then there are folks like Andi Wolf and Jacques Vessery who's signature is the form, carving and the coloration. Art Listerman's current work features some wonderful dye coloration that remains transparent. For the two in first reference, they choose to work in bland wood (Jack's work is almost all cherry because of it's ability to support the detailed carving he does) and use opaque acrylics to embellish. Art tends to use figured stock under his treatments so you get both the color and the beauty of the wood in the piece.

I tend to enjoy turning figured stock with natural finishes the most, but I have also experimented from time to time with color...even in combination as shown by the older piece below. It's beautiful burl on the outside, but the inside just didn't work "natural". So said inside got painted metallic gold and the aggregate result is wonderful. My current workpiece is box elder with a bit of figure and a natural edge...and some bright red dye. The figure shows through with this treatment and I will likely try additional things along this line from time to time.

Your work should reflect your preferences, but don't be afraid to experiment--there is a lot to learn. And sometimes a piece of wood doesn't look great by itself once you've turned it despite being a "perfect" form. Play with some color and see what you come up with, even though it's not your normal preference.

Dave Wimmer
02-07-2006, 10:22 AM
I do like some color on some pieces as long as the wood figure is still prominent. I do plan to experiment with color when I find the right piece. Please keep in mind, in my post I used the words "In my opinion". That is not intended to demean the opinions of others.

Jim Becker
02-07-2006, 10:42 AM
Please keep in mind, in my post I used the words "In my opinion". That is not intended to demean the opinions of others.

That certainly was very clear! This is a wonderful discussion topic.

Lee DeRaud
02-07-2006, 10:56 AM
My tastes in pottery (raku mostly) are such that I want my wood stuff to look like wood rather than faux pottery. But if I had the chops (yeah, as if...:p), I'd be tempted to try some of David Marks' chemical patination techniques: http://www.djmarks.com/sculptures.asp.

Glenn Hodges
02-07-2006, 11:04 AM
I like the look and feel of natural wood, but I also like to stretch and try new things with the look especially with the bland pieces. Some people consider a piece to be art while others consider it to be trash, go figure. Some like strictly utilitarian, and look at a piece you have worked hours and hours on to be a piece of junk. This is the way people buy also, some like um hot and some like um cold so you have to do different things to reach the wide desires of customers. It was said so appropo back in the '60's, "Different strokes for different folks."
A north Georgia turner, Terry Daniels said we should do something at least once a year for ourselves that stretches our ability, and it should be really different for us. This would get us out of a rut and let us do some experimenting which is good for all of us.

Paul Douglass
02-07-2006, 11:06 AM
Plastic stocks - no
Stainless steel - well, sometimes
Paint - never

Mike Ramsey
02-07-2006, 11:40 AM
Preference for me is NO paint on turnings...some dyes I've seen
are nice, but to completely cover with paint..NO! :eek:

Bob Noles
02-07-2006, 12:26 PM
Dave,

My take on the matter is that "wood" and "paint" do not mix. If you're going to paint it, use MDF... not "wood" :cool:

Bernie Weishapl
02-07-2006, 1:51 PM
The only wood to paint is Plywood or MDF. I do not paint wood.

Travis Stinson
02-07-2006, 6:53 PM
I will go for the natural beauty of the wood every time. Enhancements and embellishments are one thing, but I can't get excited by making something out of wood then trying to make it look like something it's not. How can you get more unique than what Nature provides us with? Nothing we do can beat the beauty already there.

John Hart
02-07-2006, 7:18 PM
This has been my fervent opinion since I began woodworking 25 years ago: A tree started from a seed and grew layer by layer, enduring nature in all her fits, sometimes large, sometimes small. Every event creates a special character....unique and beautiful in every way. Even in death, the tree offers beauty that can be uncovered and enhanced by our loving hands and appreciative eye....giving that grand tree new life. To cover it is a crime.

Bob Noles
02-07-2006, 9:08 PM
This has been my fervent opinion since I began woodworking 25 years ago: A tree started from a seed and grew layer by layer, enduring nature in all her fits, sometimes large, sometimes small. Every event creates a special character....unique and beautiful in every way. Even in death, the tree offers beauty that can be uncovered and enhanced by our loving hands and appreciative eye....giving that grand tree new life. To cover it is a crime.

WOW John..... that is some heavy wording. Is it orginal or borrowed? You need to put that in you signature before someone else does :D

Great and inspiring!

John Hart
02-07-2006, 10:17 PM
Naw...I just made it up Bob. Probably a little too heavy though. I was just down in the shop turning something out of cherry, thinking that maybe "crime" was a tad too fanatical. There's lots of cool stuff that's painted, and I like pottery too. I just really like to let wood show its stuff.:)

Keith Christopher
02-07-2006, 10:17 PM
I have only painted a few items. Mostly poplar or pine and these were not turnings. I think rarely does one take "plain lookin" wood for turning. We pick burls and curlies and rare-er woods, and to cover them with paint, well that would be a shame in my opinion. But in the end it's up to the creator, and what fits.

Ernie Nyvall
02-07-2006, 10:45 PM
The only wood I've ever painted was trim on a house... didn't want to do that either, but of course it wasn't because I was covering the finger joint.:D I have seen a couple of pieces on here though that were dyed and very nice. One was by Travis on Cottonwood burl, so paint... no, but maybe dye. I mean, we do enhance one wood with another, burn rings into others, and use different finishes to bring out the character. For me I may try some dye for effect.... but never to cover up.

Jim Becker has started a piece that I want to see completed... if he'll get to the darn thing!!!!!!!!.:D

Ernie

Barry Stratton
02-08-2006, 2:58 AM
I like stainless steel and plastic stocks for my working guns! Hunting near saltwater or climbing mountains for goats will DESTROY blued barrels and wood. Besides, you can use one for a signal mirror and the other for a firestarter....

Now for wood - paint for the house, plywood, MDF and pine.

I enjoy the natural beauty and use oil on most everything else. Some things then get lacquer on top of the oil.

Ed Scolforo
02-08-2006, 8:25 AM
What John said.