PDA

View Full Version : an old folks stroll

stan kern
03-29-2024, 8:05 PM
using logic trace to trace out this diagram and cut out the parts using different wood species to give the project a natural color and a beautiful soft look

https://stankern.vids.io/videos/7090d4b41811eac1f9/a-stroll

Keith Outten
03-30-2024, 10:46 AM
Your technique is basically the same that I use to make my Christmas ornaments. When I order engravers plastic I get adhesive backed plastic for the parts on top so they stick to the base when I start assembling.
It's kind of an intarsia technique without any sanding of the edges.

Tell me once more how you break up the parts for cutting.

Nice work!

stan kern
03-30-2024, 7:05 PM
I trace out each part so I know its going to fit, end up with double lines and sometimes I have to edit a bit if I get sloppy
then on the backing board I scribe cut the whole project (a low power cut just marks it , I call that a scribe cut) and this marking then helps to place the small pieces back
like a puzzle template
Its a lot of careful work and some pieces I need to cut again ( screw it up), then I apply a thinned out glue to the hole backing board ,still can see the low power cut line and start the puzzle
(putting the pieces on , fitting them)
The CO2 laser makes this easy work and yes this is an intarsia project but large and different woods

stan kern
03-31-2024, 9:32 AM
Keith
I have had good luck doing these projects using the laser to cut the parts you can see I have done a few

Maurice Mcmurry
03-31-2024, 10:01 AM
Those all look really good. Can this type of work be done on a slightly curved surface? Putting lettering on a mandolin back is a project that has stalled on my work bench.

stan kern
04-01-2024, 9:19 AM
yes you can apply something like this to a curved back, just use a thin material like a veneer and find a way to hold down each piece possibly use a contact cement
and apply pressure.
Also you could use vinyl see attached

Maurice Mcmurry
04-02-2024, 9:08 AM
Thank you Stan Kern. I want he letters to be wood or some other nice inlay material like bone or shell. The idea is a nod to Old Time and Country music stars like Jimmie Rodgers, Ernest Tubb, and Hank Willams.

stan kern
04-02-2024, 8:16 PM
hmm thats not what I had in mind , then i guess lay it in and sand off

Maurice Mcmurry
04-02-2024, 8:21 PM
I enjoy your posts Mr. Kern. Following the High-Tech forum is a helpful encouragement with my hopes to get digitalized. I am working on my design with laser cut vinyl letters from the hobby store.

stan kern
04-03-2024, 12:24 AM
I use a roland vinyl cutter/plotter, it does an excellent job of cutting detailed dxf files (designs or letters)