PDA

View Full Version : Veneer saws

chuck van dyck
03-29-2024, 12:29 PM
Hi all. I’ve been dabbling in hammer veneering and really enjoying the process. While a sharp blade tends to work fine when slicing veneers, I do enjoy keeping it somewhat traditional.

So for those of you with experience, what makes a good veneer saw? I’ll likely make one. Tools from working wood is quite close to my shop and I’ve had the opportunity to play with the gramercy one, but I won’t be spending $100+. LV has an affordable option, but I have zero experience with that offset handle type.

Attached are a couple pics, one of a recent desk I finished with red wood burl sliding doors. The other is of the veneer hammer I cobbled together.

Thanks for lookin!

Rafael Herrera
03-29-2024, 1:03 PM
My father had a tool for cutting veneer. It kind of looked like this, but instead of pointy teeth, it had wide teeth. It was a curved cutting edge, with notches about every 1/8". It was in practice a cutting tool made up of small slicing edges.

It wasn't a saw per se, a saw would be too coarse for this kind of work.

chuck van dyck
03-29-2024, 1:15 PM
Yeah thats what Ive been reading. Move of a serrated knife. I have decent files so have been considering grinding an old saw down and recutting the teeth. There is a surplus of old yard sale saws around the shop.

Eric Brown
03-29-2024, 1:22 PM
Yeah thats what Ive been reading. Move of a serrated knife. I have decent files so have been considering grinding an old saw down and recutting the teeth. There is a surplus of old yard sale saws around the shop.

Sharpened with one side flat to follow a straightedge.

Might also consider this: http://inlayrazor.com/

Jimmy Harris
03-29-2024, 4:06 PM
Would a saw work for thin veneer? I always thought those veneer saws were more for those thick veneers you cut yourself, or like what they used in the old days. The store-bought veneers you find these days are usually so thin, I wouldn't think they'd take to sawing well. I've always cut them with a guillotine style paper cutter or x-acto knife. The paper cutters work extremely well, if you can fit them.

Rafael Herrera
03-29-2024, 4:40 PM
The teeth of a saw are too coarse. These veneer cutters cut in a slicing fashion.

Mike Henderson
03-29-2024, 4:45 PM
The Two Cherries veneer saw (https://www.amazon.com/Two-Cherries-520-2200-Veneer-Cutter/dp/B000JR9QVS/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8) is good, but you have to learn how to sharpen a veneer saw. From the store, the saw is not usable to cut veneer. That's true of all veneer saws.

Joe, at Veneer Supplies, used to offer a service to sharpen the saw before he sent it to you but it's better if you learn how to do it yourself.

Mike

Mike Null
04-01-2024, 5:17 PM
All of my veneer work has been done with my laser so that's kind of cheating if your talking about a skillful woodworking process but if I were going to make my own saw I think I begin with one of those small Japanese saws. The thin steel and fine teeth seem to me to be a good starting point. My Exacto knife has come in handy a couple of times also. I have the Two Cherries saw but haven't used it.