PDA

View Full Version : Dogs and leg joints

Kirk (KC) Constable
02-07-2006, 8:52 AM
My male Saint has what the vet(s) says is the worst hips he's seen in a dog that size that can actually get around. Been that way since he was a puppy (three or four years old now). When he's lying down, his legs obviously do things they're not supposed to do, and he's well aware of what he can't do that a 'normal' dog would (for instance, ANY kind of jumping).

The female Saint is 6 months younger and has perfectly normal hips. Observing them, the female is the one that's slow to 'get up' under normal conditions (which means that when she's joining the 'guard stampede' out the door she's up right now :) ).

Since the male has 'problems', we've always kinda watched him more...expecting it to get worse. If anything, now that he's full grown it's better. We gave him OTC joint supplements for several months when he was younger until he decided he wasn't gonna take them anymore. Never gave the female any because she was quite agile. Is there a good reason to NOT start giving them to her at this age? She would NEVER decide to quit eating them (anything!). :eek:

KC

Bill Lewis
02-07-2006, 11:38 AM
My wife gives Harley (see avatar) glucosimine (sp?) every day as a precautionary measure. He eats them like they're a treat. We were told when we got him that he may have hip problems, but our Vet said they didn't look any worse than normal. We think he just injured himself and as a result was poorly diagnosed.
The best thing you can do to keep your dog's joints healthy is to keep your dog healthy. Keep them active mentally and physically, and don't let them get overweight. It doesn't hurt to include the supplements in their diet. BTW we buy them OTC at the drugstore, much less expensive than buying them rebranded for pet use.

Kirk (KC) Constable
02-07-2006, 2:06 PM
That's what we were giving the big boy. He figured out they weren't treats. :D For a near 200lb dog, he's awfully picky about what he eats...if it's in the dog bowl and looks like Pedigree he's all over it...but if you hold a piece of ribeye in front of him he'll sniff it for 30 seconds before he takes it. No so the other one. She'll eat paper if you give it to her, or if it's been in the trash can. :mad:

I guess we'll start her on the 'treats'.

KC

Jim O'Dell
02-07-2006, 3:10 PM
K.C., at our house you better have your guard up when you get anything that smells like or resembles food out. The 2 youngest girls were swiping lettuce off our plates a few minutes ago when TLOML was making taco salad for lunch.
Try the pills in a little peanut butter. If nothing else it will give you a few chuckles! Jim.

Vaughn McMillan
02-07-2006, 6:15 PM
...Try the pills in a little peanut butter. If nothing else it will give you a few chuckles! Jim.
Velveeta cheese also works well for hiding pills, but it's not nearly as fun to watch the dogs eat as peanut butter. Both of our dogs know that when Dad makes a PB&J sandwich, if they behave they each get a fingerful of peanut butter.

Our big dog sounds much like your female, KC. If it fits in the mouth, then it must be food. ;) He'll even eat pickles. And he has a fixation for cardboard. He likes to carry it around to show off. Then, after everyone has seen it, he'll lie down and tear it into little pieces. I've also caught him sneaking off with small pieces of sandpaper. He doesn't chew it, but he likes to hold it in his mouth. He's a weird unit. :D

- Vaughn

Kirk (KC) Constable
02-08-2006, 1:50 AM
Try the pills in a little peanut butter. If nothing else it will give you a few chuckles! Jim.

We give the cocker her allergy pills in peanut butter...and the others get a finger full too if they're around. It makes me feel kinda 'ookey'. :o

KC

Bill Lewis
02-08-2006, 6:27 AM
Well, speaking of pills...Our other dog is an aussie with epilepsy and has to get "pilled" four times a day. We have used al sorts of food additives to give her the pills. Our current favorite is boiled chicken breasts. Of course the big guy also gets some chicken too.
My wife spoils her "kids" in the name of good health. She prepares vegetables to add to their food and they love them. They also love fruit, carrots, and of course, peanut butter. She also makes her own training treats from liver, though we do buy some small commercial treats as well.
Our dogs have "jobs" to keep them mentally active too. They train for obediance, and now agility too.

Guy Germaine
02-08-2006, 7:42 AM
Kirk,
There's no reason NOT to start giving them supplements. I give our Newfs 500mg of Glucosomine/Chondriotin every morning. I get them at WalMart, in the Vitamin aisle.

Harry Goodwin
02-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Try liverworst with the pill. Ours would eat anything with that added. Harry

Lee DeRaud
02-08-2006, 12:00 PM
Well, that put coffee on the screen: I just clicked on 'new posts' and the thread immediately above this one was titled "Pre-cat replacement".:D

(My dog wants to know why I think that's funny.:eek: )

We now return you to your usual (off-topic) programming.