PDA

View Full Version : Old lathe for a new turner

Brian Chuchla
02-07-2006, 2:18 AM
I happened upon my grandfather's lathe this past Christmas. It is the some one my father used while growing up. I recall using it once before, and it is quite the mess, it seems to throw oil as it is turning. This would not really be that much of an issue if I were using a traditional workshop. Unfortunately, I happen to only have access locally to my apartment, and those flat white walls might not look so good with a stripe of oil down them.

What I really grabbed the lathe for was my interest trying to get into a little pen turning. I am looking for creative ways that I might be able to do this with my current setup. I know that I cannot use a standard MT mandrel which I guess is the "proper" way to go about this. The headstock consists of a stepped pulley, which is fastened to the spindle, the end of the spindle has the (forgive the terminology) spur drive attached to the spindle via a set screw. I suppose I could turn the pieces, then subsequently drill them out, but I am worried about my accuracy of drilling on center, especially considering my apartment woodshop. I have attached a photo of the "business end" of the machine, in case anyone might have a few ideas.

If all goes well maybe I can begin turning pens, then venture over to "the dark side" and add some of that custom laser engraving we do so well. Thanks.

John Hart
02-07-2006, 7:14 AM
Oh..that thing is cool!!! In my book, restoration is a must....even if you end up not using it after you get addicted.:) I don't understand where the oil is coming from though. If it's just bearing grease, maybe you can replace the bearings with some new sealed ones....Or maybe even a housing of some kind for safety sake at the very least....Quite a pinch hazard right there where you'll be working. Looks like some alterations are in order on the headstock to accomodate the mandrel for sure. Great project!:)

Bill Stevener
02-07-2006, 3:58 PM
Hi Brian,
I have been studying your lathe, quite an old classic.
It appears the spindle runs in bushings not bearings, as the need for the oil lubricators seem to indicate.
As John has noted a guard or housing for safety as well as retaining the slinging oil. The oil is coming from between the spindle shaft and the bushing, which there is not much one can do, but retain it, or where it.:D

Your spur drive looks like a thrust bearing would function. although not a bearing, doing the same thing.

I would suggest you take the spur drive off, take it to a reputable machine shop and have them turn a fitting of the same size, with a set screw, and an MT of the size you wish on the output end. They can also make up a face plate for you. Not a very difficult request, simple to make, worth checking out.

Hope this helps some, good luck with your project. Let us know how you make out.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Corey Hallagan
02-07-2006, 4:00 PM
That is really cool! Can't help you with it but hope it all works out!

Corey

George Troy Hurlburt
02-07-2006, 6:28 PM
As John Hart says get a cover over the wheel and belt. I just takes one accident to ruin your fingers and your expected turning career. Safety first, please do this with out delay. Others my have plans or suggestions on how to do this. GT