PDA

View Full Version : Proposition for you box turners!

Barry Stratton
02-07-2006, 12:43 AM
Hello from a "newbie" to the forums and yet another waiting for my first lathe to arrive (ordered a Jet Mini VS). I enjoy scrollsawing (some folks even give me cash for my stuff, most likely out of pity!) and am very interested in combining the two - hence this probably too long post.

I saw an article in WOOD magazine several issues back that showed a turned box with a scrollsawn lid. Step #1 was to scroll a pattern in 1/4" - 1/2" thick stock. Step 2 was to put tape on the back and fill the frets (cutouts) with colored epoxy. Once the epoxy was dry, you then glue the scrolled (and now filled) piece another block, attch to lathe, do the spinny thing, and PRESTO, a cool looking box. I thought it was really neat looking.

I also saw a post in the flatlanders pages, where two Creekers collaborated on a cool inlayed cutting board and thought that was neat as well.

Being impatient, I want to know sooner, rather than later, if this looks as good as it sounds. So, since I am lathe-less until mid-March (on back order) my proposition is simple: If you are interested in giving this a try, I will cut 2 pieces with a floral pattern and mail them to you. You fill with dyed epoxy, glue up to your wood, and turn. All I ask for is a picture or two (maybe three) in return.

If this interests you, zing me a PM or e-mail and we'll work out the specifics - wood type for me to scroll, which pattern to use, etc... With out looking, I know I have some Zebrawood, Sapele, Padauk, curly maple, and heaps of walnut. I'm pretty sure I have some yellowheart and some purpleheart the density of iron, and maybe a few peces of Koa. And probably lots more.

So, the first two to me are in. I have some other patterns that will work if flowers don't work for ya! If this doesn't interest you, feel free to ignore!

Thanks.

John Hart
02-07-2006, 7:41 AM
I'd like to give it a try Barry! Can't guarantee good, or even moderately fair results....but hey...Life ain't worth livin' if you don't push the envelope! :)

Raymond Overman
02-07-2006, 9:16 AM
Heck Barry, I'll try anything once. If you're interested I am. Shoot me an email and we can get our ideas together.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Barry.....I just got pushed into the spinny world last week but having followed the turner posts here at SMC I can tell you these folks will try anything.....let them turn some exotic for a few minutes and they will try anything!:D

Paul Douglass
02-07-2006, 11:13 AM
Barry, I'm not good enough to try with your stuff, but I am intrested. One question, what do you use to color epoxy?

Barry Stratton
02-07-2006, 9:13 PM
Well John and Raymond are it.............. You are two trusting souls is all I can say.

Good question Paul. I read t he article, was intrigued by it, then promptly forgot about it and gave the magazine to a friend. I do remember it was a dye mixed into epoxy then poured into the frets. The author slightly overfilled the frets and then sanded it down flush before turning.

Should have the stuff to John next week, then Raymond shortly thereafter. I"ve got two more gymnastics trophies to get out before I can start cutting these.

Barry Stratton
02-11-2006, 3:14 PM
John Hart -you are soon to have snail mail!

I finished the maple pieces this morning and boxed them up with the walnut ones, along with whatever else I could cram in the small Priority box ,and will get it to the P.O. shortly. Can't thank you enough for giving this a go. With your turning ability, I'm sure the round part will be much nicer than the scrolled!

Raymond called the other night and we had a great chat brainstorming some idea's. We'll finalize our plans soon and I'll zing him a box as well.

Sorry for the poor photo quality.....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/bearfretworks/jhmaple4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/bearfretworks/jhwalnut4.jpg

John Hart
02-11-2006, 9:22 PM
Lets see here.....I think it was 2 days ago that you said it would take a couple of weeks for you to get this done. Now, I'm not the brightest bulb on the string...but I'm pretty sure that it hasn't been a couple weeks!!!!:eek:

Geez...pressure's on. I better not break these.:o

Thanks Barry!!! What a hoot.:D :)

Barry Stratton
02-11-2006, 9:54 PM
well..... .....2 days, 2 weeks..... I'm sure there's a statistical modeling program that will say they are the same thing!

And feel free to take your time, absolutely no rush. I mean, you still have to finish the contest entry first. And if you break them, no big deal. They are wood, they'll burn nice! Hope I left you enough room on the edges.....

Paul Douglass
02-12-2006, 12:06 PM
OH, let them rush, I'm anxious to see the results! And, please tell what you dye the epoxy with!

John Hart
02-12-2006, 12:25 PM
OH, let them rush, I'm anxious to see the results!...

Thanks Paul!:eek: :p :D

John Hart
02-14-2006, 9:52 PM
I received your package Barry! Very nice. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the padauk one...but I'm gonna figure something out!

Barry Stratton
02-14-2006, 11:24 PM
Excellent. Your photo's make it look better than it is. Knowing they would be "filled", I didn't slow down on the corners or worry about burning.... I've got a few pictures of "the process" from my end for each stack as well. I'll get those to you some day.

Also, the padauk one was an "extra" I had laying around. Thought you could spin something roundish for a base and give to your wife...... I put them on a base with a tea light candle. Sell like crazy...

Paul Douglass
03-22-2006, 10:55 PM
OK! The bonker contest is over! Time to get back to work. Anyone have an update on this project?

Barry Stratton
03-22-2006, 11:16 PM
John's working hard on his part in between vases and bowls and hollow forms and bonkers and looking for horses in the want ads while Raymond and I have developed a super secret technique that has hit 100K in sales. Its our own idea though so we can't share because someone might copy it...........

Raymond Overman
03-23-2006, 12:56 AM
It just so happens the check will be in the mail for your half of the 100k next week or the week after that Barry. Should be anytime now. Really. Soon.

John Hart
03-23-2006, 6:41 AM
I have my maple and walnut cut and ready to go on the lathe. I've finalized the design in my head on how to incorporate the scroll work into the lid so I'm ready to go. I'm working with green wood, so I'll get them roughed out tonight and in the alkie bath.....if I can shake this dang flu bug!:( I probably won't be ready to fininish-turn for about 3 weeks. I'm shootin' to get 4 pieces done...at about 100K each. Boy-howdy!...rollin' in the dough!!:) :)

Mike Ramsey
03-23-2006, 10:44 AM
Wir haben unsere Weisen des Bildens Sie des Gespräches! (we have our ways of making you talk!) Just ask John about his secret formula! :D .

Andy Hoyt
03-23-2006, 11:51 AM
Wir haben unsere Weisen des Bildens Sie des Gespräches! (we have our ways of making you talk!) Just ask John about his secret formula! :D .
In Muchen Schtedt ein hofbrauhaus!

Ein Zwie Gsufta!

John Hart
03-24-2006, 9:04 PM
Ok Barry...Just so you know I'm not ALWAYS goofin' off....I did get one of the boxes started tonight. I know, I know....I was supposed to have them all roughed out. But, I kinda feel good about getting this one done. I'm not very good at this and I had to go slow. I picked out a piece of maple with a bit of red flame to it and studied some ancient Egyptian pottery and this is what I came up with.

The base at the bottom is coming off. That's just the mount for the faceplate. I'll bore the whole top to accomodate the scrollwork. The scroll piece will be turned round and fit into a recess in the lid. It's bathing in alcohol right now.

Paul Douglass
03-24-2006, 9:17 PM
ALLRIGHT JOHN! That is looking great!

Barry Stratton
03-24-2006, 10:05 PM
Now that is too cool! Good luck on the rest of it.